Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Sorry but have to disagree with a lot of what you say. Maybe you should remember that one person's negative is another person's positive. There is nothing to say that the information that you find of no value is also of no value to absolutely everyone else. People may find your post irrelevant but perhaps they are big enough to move on instead of telling you to shut up ranting!!

The comment about buying a lifestyle and not a salary is all very well and good, but are you telling people that they don't need to worry about income (or how much income they'll be getting) because it's not important? If so, that has got to be one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever read on here!

Pleased to hear you are enjoying Australia, BTW, and I hope the good times continue!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:48 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Nothing has changed except your perspective. As far as I can see people have always used the site to moan about something whether they are asking numpty questions from the UK or not expecting something once in Aus. You are now there and possibly still in the honeymoon period. Give it another few months and you might hit a "homesick period" and start having a whinge/moan about something totally unrelated. - OTOH you might not in which case congratulations

People ask questions which to you now living there seem daft, but if a question comes to mind, sometimes you write before thinking it through (those "you"s were not directed at you but you as in other people

I just had a rant on the changing plugs thread, but presumably others felt the need to know. We are all different. Chill
Could not agree more MP, this is a public forum and if someone wants to ask if their TV will work why should they not? also remember what seems silly to you might seem sensible to someone else.

You have also made it & good for you but remember how stressful it is for the people still waiting.

MR MADSAD
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by madsad
Could not agree more MP, this is a public forum and if someone wants to ask if their TV will work why should they not? also remember what seems silly to you might seem sensible to someone else.

You have also made it & good for you but remember how stressful it is for the people still waiting.

MR MADSAD

Yes I remember how stressful the nearly two years were waiting for the visa (with the pregnancy and birth of our first child thrown in - yes that does help the whole view of grandparents when we are moving here)
Our point is how negative and whinging this site is with people moaning about a variety of things. Look at the posts for the past week to see what I mean. Also about the whole 'will my tv work' type question - when I had a question like that I tried the search mechanism or google etc...as I've already said my pet hates are whinging
Best Wishes to all who are applying and I hope you get here. BUt please be positive when you do!
With regard to the comment about income - we are NOT stupid - of course your income is important here that goes without saying.
We find that there are too many people on this site who are bitter becasue either they are not here yet or because they have returned to the UK because of partners /families views. These are the people who need to move on and get out.
We found this site really useful when going through the application process but we didn't whinge and I have no regrets about anything we asked. We just wish people could be more positive about the whole process/move.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:27 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I remember how stressful the nearly two years were waiting for the visa (with the pregnancy and birth of our first child thrown in - yes that does help the whole view of grandparents when we are moving here)
Our point is how negative and whinging this site is with people moaning about a variety of things. Look at the posts for the past week to see what I mean. Also about the whole 'will my tv work' type question - when I had a question like that I tried the search mechanism or google etc...as I've already said my pet hates are whinging
Best Wishes to all who are applying and I hope you get here. BUt please be positive when you do!
With regard to the comment about income - we are NOT stupid - of course your income is important here that goes without saying.
We find that there are too many people on this site who are bitter becasue either they are not here yet or because they have returned to the UK because of partners /families views. These are the people who need to move on and get out.
We found this site really useful when going through the application process but we didn't whinge and I have no regrets about anything we asked. We just wish people could be more positive about the whole process/move.

Hi

Dont forget a lot of people use this as a support network too...like the other week when our SIR application went tits up, it was great to get some nice responses of support and encouragement to cheer us up! I hope no one thought we were moaning, we were very upset and since then we have actually had some really encouraging suggestions as to how we can work round the hitch which we are currently persuing. Bitter...no...jealous....yes!
Lucy
x
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:43 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi

Dont forget a lot of people use this as a support network too...like the other week when our SIR application went tits up, it was great to get some nice responses of support and encouragement to cheer us up! I hope no one thought we were moaning, we were very upset and since then we have actually had some really encouraging suggestions as to how we can work round the hitch which we are currently persuing. Bitter...no...jealous....yes!
Lucy
x
Hi Lucy

I know people use the forum as a support network aswell as for infomation ( and a bit of mickey taking too ). This is all well and good and I think everybody realises that and offers kind words and suggestions when needed.

I think what the point of this was that there does seem to be in my eyes some whinging threads or silly threads.

I know everybodys different and some peoples priorities are diffrent to mine but I have not really thought about how much money I will earn out there etc because I am not that money driven.

As for the TV front well do you really want to go to the otherside of the world where they have better weather than the UK to sit inside and watch TV? ( Not directed at yourself, just a genrealisation)

I hope you get around your hitch and make it outhere

All the Best

Gee
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the sort of Petty siilly thread you have in mind?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...sunny_samantha

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:46 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Meooooow
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:52 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

G

Lol!!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:55 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Lol!!
Me too!!

D D
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

G
I must confess that I nearly pissed myself laughing when I followed that link!

Samantha, with respect.........you really should be more tolerant of differing views from yours. I don't have any difficulty whatsoever airing my views/opinions on this forum even if they earn your disapproval.

If people want to discuss the price of iceberg lettuce or cask wine let them! I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in responding to those or many other threads, but I don't condemn them.

Most folks here couldn't give a rats arse about my musings on wildlife, nor do I expect them too. But that doesn't stop me saying it. If this forum is to remain democratic, then differing views should be aired, debated, discussed and argued about. But not mentioned at all? Sorry, but I beg to differ....
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny

Sorry but me too If you dont like it just dont read it!!!

Sue

Last edited by Sue2; Oct 25th 2004 at 7:19 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:17 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I must confess that I nearly pissed myself laughing when I followed that link!

Samantha, with respect.........you really should be more tolerant of differing views from yours. I don't have any difficulty whatsoever airing my views/opinions on this forum even if they earn your disapproval.

If people want to discuss the price of iceberg lettuce or cask wine let them! I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in responding to those or many other threads, but I don't condemn them.

Most folks here couldn't give a rats arse about my musings on wildlife, nor do I expect them too. But that doesn't stop me saying it. If this forum is to remain democratic, then differing views should be aired, debated, discussed and argued about. But not mentioned at all? Sorry, but I beg to differ....

well said! I myself am guilty of talking out my behind, and I used to get really riled by Kong's posts .....now I just ignore or dont get involved with what doesnt interest/concern me! Just dont talk to me about planes and y'all will be fine!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Hmm, so you've been in Oz less than a year and already have the arrogance to tell other people to "move on and get out" if they don't have anything but "positive" comments about the place. How fascistic.

I found during my 4 years there that to utter a word of criticism about Oz was deemed a heresy by certain groups of people, namely Ozzies who'd never been anywhere else and, even more so, new British migrants.

You'll fit right in. Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember reading anybody saying that you are. The comment was that your quotes about salaries amounted to bad advice.
As someone else said, YOUR outlook has changed. If things are working well for you then that's great - I'm genuinely pleased for you.
But you really should lighten up. If 'will my TV work?' is an important question for someone, then of course they should ask it on here. Yes we've all seen it a hundred times but new members appear all the time and they deserve the same respect as you were granted when you joined up. If you think the question is stupid, ignore it and read the next thread.
Perhaps you are the one that needs to move on. Bitter? Not me.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
I don't remember reading anybody saying that you are. The comment was that your quotes about salaries amounted to bad advice.
As someone else said, YOUR outlook has changed. If things are working well for you then that's great - I'm genuinely pleased for you.
But you really should lighten up. If 'will my TV work?' is an important question for someone, then of course they should ask it on here. Yes we've all seen it a hundred times but new members appear all the time and they deserve the same respect as you were granted when you joined up. If you think the question is stupid, ignore it and read the next thread.
Perhaps you are the one that needs to move on. Bitter? Not me.
Well moderated!!!
If you don't like it........Don't read it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.