Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
When is a rant a whinge? Discuss
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:42 pm
Go Banana's !!

Well said !!

Warren
Arriving in Perth on Thursday !

Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Excuse me I am not whinging.

I love it here and find it very sad that whilst I used to love accessing this site and hearing about people moving on to their new lives in Aus and getting tips about a variety of things all I now see is people moaning about petty things - it's a shame
Old Oct 25th 2004, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Excuse me I am not whinging.

I love it here and find it very sad that whilst I used to love accessing this site and hearing about people moving on to their new lives in Aus and getting tips about a variety of things all I now see is people moaning about petty things - it's a shame
I was only joshing with you, no offence meant

I know what you mean but I find a bit of reality more informative than the rose-tinted alternative. Might make more people think twice before taking the plunge and reducing Oz-based whinging overall?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

PinkGlam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you thank you thank you. I was starting to feel quite disheartened after reading a couple of other threads earlier, and really questioning what we are doing and why (which is not a bad thing), it is a hard enough decision as it is and reading this has really picked me up again and it is great to hear from people like you who are enjoying it. I think the right attitude is the key.

Thank you
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I was only joshing with you, no offence meant

I know what you mean but I find a bit of reality more informative than the rose-tinted alternative. Might make more people think twice before taking the plunge and reducing Oz-based whinging overall?
No worries deadmeat!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PinkGlam
Thank you thank you thank you. I was starting to feel quite disheartened after reading a couple of other threads earlier, and really questioning what we are doing and why (which is not a bad thing), it is a hard enough decision as it is and reading this has really picked me up again and it is great to hear from people like you who are enjoying it. I think the right attitude is the key.

Thank you

Don't be disheartened. We have no regrets about what we did. I remember what is was like sitting in the UK thinking - is this the right thing to do? why are we doing this etc. No regrets at all. We love it here, our 15 month son loves it here.
Best Wishes to you and if you want any info on Adelaide or the emigration process don't hesitate to pm me
Susan
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:17 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Well said

I keep having to hold back from jumping onto threads that are will my TV work etc and just ripping the sh*te out of them.

I think these people would be best off applying to one of the TV programs that takes numptys out to other countries and then records how bloody stupid they are!

Was that a bit harsh?

Oh well
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beegee
Well said

I keep having to hold back from jumping onto threads that are will my TV work etc and just ripping the sh*te out of them.

I think these people would be best off applying to one of the TV programs that takes numptys out to other countries and then records how bloody stupid they are!

Was that a bit harsh?

Oh well
You have summed up how we feel!!!

You aren't harsh -it's reality!!!!! We met some people on holiday in Europe before we came here who would never make it as they were the typical whinging poms! Moving to the other side of the world involves risks - who cares if the tv works in the grand scheme of things!!!

Hope you get here and enjoy it if you aren't here already!
Best Wishes

Susan
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Wooo! Any excuse

Mind you after some of the comments on Aus TV, maybe I'll do a Why Don't You (go out and do something less boring instead)

I can just see hubby salivating at the idea of having to buy a bigger better tv to watch sport all weekend on.

will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Old Oct 25th 2004, 3:57 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Good onya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing has changed except your perspective. As far as I can see people have always used the site to moan about something whether they are asking numpty questions from the UK or not expecting something once in Aus. You are now there and possibly still in the honeymoon period. Give it another few months and you might hit a "homesick period" and start having a whinge/moan about something totally unrelated. - OTOH you might not in which case congratulations

People ask questions which to you now living there seem daft, but if a question comes to mind, sometimes you write before thinking it through (those "you"s were not directed at you but you as in other people

I just had a rant on the changing plugs thread, but presumably others felt the need to know. We are all different. Chill
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:32 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Agreed.

Good onya.
hi

I dont want to start an argument but:
since when was asking if your tv works whinging?
Maybe people are just trying to sort out what to take with them etc?

I do agree with you that you are buying into a lifestyle and all that, but some people just wanna know things to decide how to plan their move therefore ask questions which may seem silly to you and not to them. So maybe youre being a bit harsh there?

But whatever negative things people say about Auz on this site, i dont let it get to me, as its what you make of it, and like you say somethings are cheeper here or dearer, its good to hear different points of view, i personally dont care, if i have poorer pay and crappier furniture as i'll be much happier with my outdoor lifestyle in Auz than being here.

laura
x

Last edited by lauralollipop; Oct 25th 2004 at 5:24 pm. Reason: spellin
Old Oct 25th 2004, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Nothing has changed except your perspective. As far as I can see people have always used the site to moan about something whether they are asking numpty questions from the UK or not expecting something once in Aus. You are now there and possibly still in the honeymoon period. Give it another few months and you might hit a "homesick period" and start having a whinge/moan about something totally unrelated. - OTOH you might not in which case congratulations

People ask questions which to you now living there seem daft, but if a question comes to mind, sometimes you write before thinking it through (those "you"s were not directed at you but you as in other people

I just had a rant on the changing plugs thread, but presumably others felt the need to know. We are all different. Chill
Fair point. All I can say is that we may well be in the honeymoon period but are unlikely to hit the homesick period given family circumstances (thankfully!)

Agree that to some people the questins they ask are important and indeed relevant to a site such as this - it's the silly ' I have no brain' questions that get to me like the whole lettuce saga!!!! or the who earns as much as I do questions which always seem to come from really arrogant individuals who are simply trying to boost thier ego by bragging about their income. Included in this is the I have so much - how much do you have? Judge me according to my financial situation - I think not!!!! (And yes we are financially secure so not bitter!!!!!) Any genuine questions, feel free to ask on the forum or to pm me

Best wishes to all those with teh right attitude to emigration, good luck to you and I hope you find everything you wish for (and don't complain about the price of lettuce!!!!!!!!! pick what you lke in the veg section - it's great!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.