Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there never any appologies?

Why are there never any appologies?

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Why are there never any appologies?

I refuse to get involved in petty arguements on this forum or any other for that matter. Thats why i have made this thread as a separate issue.

I have noted that people using forums often don't see the need to appologise for things they say or admit mistakes. Why?

Someone said the other day that people should not come here and not post and to be brave.... well..judging by the behaviour of a some members, i can honestly see why people dont bother.

Please do not jump to conclusions on those i am refferring to. All i will say is that i am fairly new here and had i not been the type of person i am, i would not have come back after my first post!!!!!!!

This section of the forum is listed as lifestyle and culture...can't we keep it that way, instead of putting others down, belittling or ignoring someone purely because they have differing views?? Or are we going to carry on being like a school yard?

When i go to Oz in two weeks time, i have promised myself that i will make a great effort to help those who come after me, regardless of who they are, and i hope i will be treated the same in return.
Maybe i am too much of a softie, but i believe we shouuld be helping each other and not tearing each other apart.

And let me be the first to appologise... sorry for being idealistic

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:23 am
WBB

Default Re: Why are there never any appologies?

Originally posted by podgypossum

I have noted that people using forums often don't see the need to appologise for things they say or admit mistakes. Why?
i think the reason people don't apologise for things they say (trolls aside) is because they honestly believe what they say to be true/correct and therefore feel they have nothing to apologise for.

this is a discussion forum and if used correctly we should discuss things and put across our opposing views on any raised topics, we are not always going to agree and sometimes things do get heated, but i for one like the banter and this place would be a little dull without it.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:26 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually do think people apologise I have seen this publically on the forum and I am also aware of PM being used for this purpose.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i think the reason people don't apologise for things they say (trolls aside) is because they honestly believe what they say to be true/correct and therefore feel they have nothing to apologise for.

this is a discussion forum and if used correctly we should discuss things and put across our opposing views on any raised topics, we are not always going to agree and sometimes things do get heated, but i for one like the banter and this place would be a little dull without it.

I agree with much of what you say Billy...and it would be totally boring if things didnt get heated and there were no tempers frayed..my issue is when it gets very personal and nasty to individuals.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:35 am
WBB

I agree with much of what you say Billy...and it would be totally boring if things didnt get heated and there were no tempers frayed..my issue is when it gets very personal and nasty to individuals.

i have only ever seen really nasty stuff on here a couple of time's, but that is a couple too many.

normally that is somebody hiding behind an assumed identity and not having the balls to post under the name they usually use.

i find that it is just a reflection of life though, you get good and bad everywhere...including discussion forums.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:42 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep some people do, like me, I can make mistakes. And I am a very honest person, and very open (as you guys can tell with me blabbing about anything/everything, posting pics etc)

I apologised to Chris/Donna once via PM, something about Dotty (I was confusing Dotty and Rosy or something)
Anyway the point was, I first also Dotty was a 'troll' but I quickly realised (with some help) that she's not.
And I actually should've made this clear to Dotty too, but I'll do it now:
Dotty, I am sorry And I mean it!
I have come to realise your posts are very valuable, and I don't know where I got the idea you were a 'troll' in the first place. Oh, yes I do, it was because nearly everybody else on here thought so/thinks so, but that was a very stupid reason for me to think so too. (but it can sometimes be hard to form you own opinion when others all say something, you just assume that's true. I hope I don't do this too often, and that I never do it again, it's very silly.
I mean, if everybody jumps of a cliff, would I do it too? Never!!

Anyway, I love the discussions too, but as mentioned, there are some wierdo's on here.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:44 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

I refuse to get involved in petty arguements on this forum or any other for that matter. Thats why i have made this thread as a separate issue.

Someone said the other day that people should not come here and not post and to be brave.... well..judging by the behaviour of a some members, i can honestly see why people dont bother.

Please do not jump to conclusions on those i am refferring to. All i will say is that i am fairly new here and had i not been the type of person i am, i would not have come back after my first post!!!!!!!

This section of the forum is listed as lifestyle and culture...can't we keep it that way, instead of putting others down, belittling or ignoring someone purely because they have differing views?? Or are we going to carry on being like a school yard?

When i go to Oz in two weeks time, i have promised myself that i will make a great effort to help those who come after me, regardless of who they are, and i hope i will be treated the same in return.
Maybe i am too much of a softie, but i believe we shouuld be helping each other and not tearing each other apart.

And let me be the first to appologise... sorry for being idealistic

Well said PP, I too read the arguments and do not get involved. A lot of the time it is petty, why people can not lighten up I do not know. It seems some have things going on between themselves that go way back. I like to come on hear and read informative posts and yes there are negatives about every place but come on lets just help each other. I know Oz isnt the best country in the world but niether is it the worst and why not help those who are trying to get there instead of calling each other names and arguing. If you feel the need to argue and fight ask if we can have a "bare knuckle room" where those that want to can go and have it out. I like banter and discussion about different subjects but when someone calls someone else a child abuser that to me is over the line.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know where you are coming from Podgypossum, but as with life in general ,Thats just the way it is!... I feel that to carry on regardless of other peoples nastiness is one in the eye to them.
Some people can not take anothers point of view, some just differ to be bloody minded. At the end of the day.... I dont give a toss about what others think about me etc etc.... I,ll do what I want because I know that what Im doing is right... I suppose everyone must think what they are doing ,saying, is right. Thats why people argue so much!!!

I hope I dont sound like im lecturing... Im not, im just saying what I believe and I generally like your threads.

take care
booboo
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone once said... 10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to it.

Why you take notice of: a) someone you don't know, b) someone you never want to know, c) someone that is intentionally malicious and d) someone that you do not care/have respect for... honestly confuses me.

Some people apologise, some don't.

In the end, does it really matter? Would someone not apologising on the Internet really make much diference to your entire life, anyway?

Last edited by Andiii; Oct 30th 2003 at 8:33 am.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Andiii
Someone once said... 10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to it.

Why you take notice of: a) someone you don't know, b) someone you never want to know, c) someone that is intentionally malicious and d) someone that you do not care/have respect for... honestly confuses me.

In the end, does it really matter? Would someone not apologising on the Internet really make much diference to your entire life, anyway?

Umm...i wasnt saying it in reference to me!!... i was referring to people in general....

And no..it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference to my life..but it might to someone else... and also makes for better relationships!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:14 am
tennisoz

Sorry There I said it!

TennisOz

P.S. Seriously, I find part of the fun of this forum is the differences of opinion. I don't feel I have to apologise to anyone for my opinion. I originally entered this forum to get some practical advice on immigration issues for our move back to Oz in the near future. (My wife is British so we'll need a spouse visa). I used to look at the immigration forum exclusively but stumbled once (over 250 posts ago!) on this forum. I think my first posts were in response to outrageous over-generalisations by what I call the 'whinging pom' brigade and it has gone from there. In truth, most of the whinging pom brigade are just the homesick brigade and I can see that this forum provides people with a support system in difficult times as well as providing information.

I have been pleased to share my experiences and views with others. I've lived in Oz for my first 30 years and in the UK since (I won't say how long but its a long time!) Viva la difference and all that.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:20 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by Andiii

Andiii

I'm from Williamstown, where are you from? Nothing to do with apologies but I just saw your signature. Sorry if I'm intruding

TennisOz

Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:23 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Maybe they're just sad people who have broken dreams and are lashing out in any direction they can. "I hurt, and I want everyone else to hurt, too." sort of thing.

They say that you shouldn't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his mocassins, but sometimes it's difficult, and you just want to slap 'em!

Best advice - ignore them. If you respond to them then they've got a reaction out of you, and will continue to 'prod'.

The 'multiple-personality' thing is a different issue - that's just gutless. I've argued with a couple of people on this forum - usually when I'm being poo-pooed - but I've done it as ME, and stood up for what I believe. If someone can give me a reasoned arguement, backed up with facts, :lecture: rather than opinions why I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected.

But I will NOT give in to bullies!!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sticking my neck out here slightly,I feel guilty that Olibeneli does not appear to be posting or browsing on here of late and I do apologise if I caused any upset ,as their first posting was quite upbeat and positive about the site.After all they want the same about this site and Aus as me and mine

Secondly I had cause to P.M. Cadman to apologise for something that was meant to be a joke,from myself that on reflection did not look good,he again does not appear to have taken part in this forum for a couple of weeks,another cause for me to feel guilty,sorry fella(fellow donkey town resident ).

For anybody else I've upset kiss my aaaarrr .
I would like to thank Podgypossum for giving me the oppurtunity to place this posting.lets get back to the real debates not slanging matches.:lecture:
Old Oct 30th 2003, 10:30 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by welshboybilly

normally that is somebody hiding behind an assumed identity and not having the balls to post under the name they usually use.

I can spot them... I'm on IP watch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.