Why Tasmania?

Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Tasmania?

I know there are various threads on Tasmania, but I just wanted an up to date opinion from various folk on:

Why did you choose it over Oz
Are you glad you did
Do you plan on staying there for a long time
What do you think of how it has worked out for bringing up kids (are the schools good)
Are the job prospects good (OH is a construction project manager/loss adjuster)
Is there a community atmosphere anywhere
Are people generally friendly
Is there a large expat scene in Hobart

Any thoughts, no matter how brief would be very much appreciated.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:52 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Tasmania?

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I know there are various threads on Tasmania, but I just wanted an up to date opinion from various folk on:

Are you glad you did
What do you think of how it has worked out for bringing up kids (are the schools good)

"Why did you choose it over OZ"
l thought Tasmania was part of OZ unless it recently declared its independance and did'nt tell anyone.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
l thought Tasmania was part of OZ unless it recently declared its independance and did'nt tell anyone.
Amendment - I meant mainland Oz (i.e., the more usual destinations Perth, Adelaid etc) - no offence to any folk from Tasmania!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Are you glad you did

Hi

We have now lived in Tas for just over a year and here are my responses (my opinion only)

1. We were looking for somewhere that was not too hot/humid, in fact we were looking at NZ initially. We came out on holiday 2 years ago and out of the places we visited, Tas ticked more boxes.

2. Yes, it is a beautiful place, we have had some great experiences here that will stay with us forever.

3. Not sure, who knows what the future will bring but we are happy here at the moment.

4. Children very happy here, settled into school very quickly. Education here has quite a different slant to the UK but I don't think this is just specific to Tas. We have been happy with their school, there seems to be a strong emphasis on promoting self confidence and independence which has been good for my two as they are pretty shy normally.

5. Don't really know about your particular profession, both OH and myself are in health care and we never had any problems finding work, however you need to remember that Tas only has a population of approx 500,000 so there are not as many opportunities in general.

6. Yes, I think some areas do have a community feel, probably the smaller rural areas but I have found that most people keep to theirselves (in my experience)

7. Yes, they are friendly but still not easy to make lots of friends other than casual aquaintances.

8. I wouldn't say there is a large expat scene in Tas, it doesn't attract the same numbers as other states! But yes, there are people from the UK and mainland Oz too, as it is a popular choice for "sea changers"

Check out this thread for some more info:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...34#post7859534

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; Aug 20th 2009 at 1:04 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:27 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l don't live there but have been to Tassie on holdiay, l guess the advantages it has over mainland OZ are:

very low crime rate, lowest in OZ l believe.

Probably some of the best, if not the best natural scenery, snow capped mountains, raging rivers, lakes, Tall tree forests, green farmland and countryside, ruggard unspoilt coastline, half the state is natural parks, so its great if your into outdoors stuff.

With only half a million people and the same size as Ireland there are no crowds, traffic jams, almost no pollution, actually Tasmania has recored the cleanest air in the world.

Tasmania has the cheapest cost of housing in OZ. People joke how you can sell a small flat in Sydney and buy a mansion in tassie with the money, But maybe thats no longer the case in the past 10 years Tassie hous prices have risen as more people from the mainland retire there but are still cheaper then the rest of OZ.

If you don't like hot weather Tasmania is the coldest state in OZ, l think it only gets around 10 days over 30c degrees a year, most summers days its around 25c degrees while its often in the 40c's in the mainland. theres also plenty of great beaches when it does get warm.

l only mentioned the advantages there are disadvantages in living in Tassie.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 20th 2009 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for your responses - it's always interesting to get feedback from people who know of/live in particular areas. Tazzie does sound an extremely nice place and your comments confirm the image I had in mind.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Great sparkling wines in Tassy
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:36 am
Just Joined

gmen30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your responses - it's always interesting to get feedback from people who know of/live in particular areas. Tazzie does sound an extremely nice place and your comments confirm the image I had in mind.
we live in goldcoast have been here for four years, living on the highest possible point.............and still not climbatise when people tell you, you will get used to the weather! they lie

thats why i want to move to taz, plus it is just beautiful!

good luck with were you decide!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by mohogony
Giggling at this post, must admit, I forgot my geography when my Tasmanian husband proposed to me in Asia, mistook it for Tanzania ooops.
Tasmania is a wonderful place isnt it, friendly people, great community spirit, wont sell it too hard for obvious reasons lol