British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why So Many Speedos? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-so-many-speedos-174334/)

bondipom Aug 25th 2003 11:19 am

Why So Many Speedos?

I do enjoy the outdoor life here and go surfing regularly. There is one very disturbing feature of beach life. Voluntary jogging in speedos (known as sluggos or budgy smugglers here).

It isn't just old farts as well.

Just be warned and protect your kiddies from the disturbing local .sights

Florida_03 Aug 25th 2003 11:36 am

Re: Why So Many Speedos?

Originally posted by bondipom
I do enjoy the outdoor life here and go surfing regularly. There is one very disturbing feature of beach life. Voluntary jogging in speedos (known as sluggos or budgy smugglers here).

It was originally set up by the Australian Government to deter kiwis from arriving at Bondi beach illegally. It worked very effectively through the '60s and '70s and kiwi illegal immigration plummeted.

Now we just get gay kiwis. Go figure...

welshpom Aug 25th 2003 12:24 pm

None down here in SA that I've seen since I got here in May.

I did see a young woman last week jogging on the beach in a one piece swimming cosy and a beach towel. Me ?, well I was wearing about 4 layers of warm and waterproof gear.

I had ducted air-con put into my house today, more for heating that cooling. I must say, conditioned air is much nicer... it's softer, shinier and more manageable for a start.

Badge Aug 25th 2003 1:50 pm

Yeah there are a lot of Speedos in Australia. My mate, aged 44 wear them but its no big deal. In the UK it is a crime!! There was an article in the Sun fairly recently. To me it is part of the uptightness in the UK. People worry too much.

It depends on how fit you are. If you've got it, then why worry. Seems only skinny or fat blokes need to worry about looking stupid. I address the dilemma by wearing rugby league shorts.

My problem is I've got typical rugby player's legs so the massive baggy ones which lads wear over here just make me look fat. (and the gf likes me to show them off!)

badgers:)

mr mover Aug 25th 2003 8:23 pm

Originally posted by welshpom
None down here in SA that I've seen since I got here in May.

I did see a young woman last week jogging on the beach in a one piece swimming cosy and a beach towel. Me ?, well I was wearing about 4 layers of warm and waterproof gear.

I had ducted air-con put into my house today, more for heating that cooling. I must say, conditioned air is much nicer... it's softer, shinier and more manageable for a start.
try maslins beach they dont wear anything,.....:scared: :D :beer: MM

whisky Aug 25th 2003 8:35 pm

I need a picture. Don't know what you mean.

Whisky

dotty Aug 26th 2003 3:03 am

Blimey Queensland must have moved on, you wear board shorts up here unless you are Gay.

Worst sight tho is rather large women with cellulite wearing G-Strings. It makes you want to puke.

DianeOZ Aug 26th 2003 3:06 am

Worst sight tho is rather large women with cellulite wearing G-Strings. It makes you want to puke. [/QUOTE]
========================

'specially if they haven't waxed!!!!!

Loopy Aug 26th 2003 3:09 am

Clear out your PM box Diane!! If you're not too pickled!!

DianeOZ Aug 26th 2003 3:24 am

beetroot or onions? I'm WAITING!

jopaulss Aug 26th 2003 3:56 am

So funny di and loopy !!! We must meet for coffee girls and compare notes !!!
Joanne

Loopy Aug 26th 2003 4:15 am

Sounds good to me but I reckon t'other one would prefer a bottle or two instead!!

Loopy

DianeOZ Aug 26th 2003 5:05 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Loopy
Sounds good to me but I reckon t'other one would prefer a bottle or two instead!!

====================
What you talkin' about Willis? (in a distinctly "Arnold" accent)

owieb Aug 26th 2003 7:57 am

I've got a pair and wear them under my wetsuit! I used to go commando, but got fed up of getting my bits 'sandpapered' when out surfing!

Don't jog along the beach in them, mainly because the letters have fell off and they now say 'pee o'.

bondipom Aug 26th 2003 8:05 am

I did a corporate triathlon and got a pair for that and have found them useful for under the wetsuit.

But the sight of ball bags under lycra is not pleasant when sun bathing or going for a walk.

I don't mind the local white pointers though.