Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why so many "gated communities"??

Why so many "gated communities"??

Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Why so many "gated communities"??

Hi Everyone

just an observation and search for advice please.

I notice that there are a hell of lot of residences which exist within a gated community which makes a non-oz bod (me) wonder why this is so?

I assume it is for added security and peace of mind but it does beg the question, are these communities in areas which require additional security, do they work (ie reduce crime), and what are the benefits of pitfalls aganst owning your own home.

We are emmigrating in february, gf has taken a job in Robina, and probably under first misconceptions, felt there was a stigma attached to living in a gated community. Which is obviously untrue, but I wouldnt mind if people could tell me why they opted for one, we have looked at Ormeau, Hope Island, Coomera and find a lot of properties are within secure residences.

Any help would be appreciated and I dont mean to offend, this is a genuine request for honest info.

Many thanks

Sean & Rach
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why so many "gated communities"??

Only gated community round here is the local looney bin.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:59 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Only gated community round here is the local looney bin.

Are you the keyholder Hutch ?

Lee
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty

Are you the keyholder Hutch ?

Lee
Haha! Yea, I have a lovely padded cell with a view ...
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi Everyone

I notice that there are a hell of lot of residences which exist within a gated community which makes a non-oz bod (me) wonder why this is so?

I assume it is for added security and peace of mind but it does beg the question, are these communities in areas which require additional security, do they work (ie reduce crime), and what are the benefits of pitfalls aganst owning your own home.

We are emmigrating in february, gf has taken a job in Robina, and probably under first misconceptions, felt there was a stigma attached to living in a gated community. Which is obviously untrue, but I wouldnt mind if people could tell me why they opted for one, we have looked at Ormeau, Hope Island, Coomera and find a lot of properties are within secure residences.

Any help would be appreciated and I dont mean to offend, this is a genuine request for honest info.

Many thanks

Sean & Rach
Guys - sorry to wander off topic in what was a serious question. No - I don't think there's any stigma attached to a gated community and I'm very dubious as to whether they'd do any good anyway - a crackhead thief can get over a fence in a gated community just as easily as on any other street. I mean, unless there's also a security guard that does patrols like you find in America.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not aware of any stigma in living on a gated complex. Many people love the security and privacy it gives, others don't like them because of the bylaws that many of the complexes have. It's generally a slighter cheaper option (the properties tend to be townhouses) although obviously on Hope Island type set ups it's way more expensive than a 'normal' house.

As I was leaving the UK, I did notice that there appeared to be more of these sorts of complexes cropping up. Nothing to do with bad areas, just how the builder/developer wants to do the development.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi Everyone

Many thanks

Sean & Rach
I think there is an element of status attached to a gated community. They are more expensive usually than a normal house. We have one nearby and a 2 bed small house with little yard was going for $750,000 last year (prolly be a bit cheaper now mind ).

Often there's a lot of retired people that live in them. My boss from Hope Island (on the Gold Coast - there seem to be a lot of these communities down there) lives in one and he loves it because it's low maintenance (small yard) but yet you have access to pool, tennis courts etc. He goes away interstate and overseas a lot and feels there is less stress with leaving the property than a "normal" house.

It all seems incredibly claustrophobic to me, but different strokes for different folks!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:52 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Having been born and raised in Australia, I have NEVER come across a gated community.

I do know, however, that they are quite common in Queensland - which is practically another country anyway.

So many Australians retire to Queensland, and I know a few people who have retired up there and think gated communities are the ultimate in a snobby lifestyle.
It makes no sense to me, but I think the gated community thing actually appeals to Queenslanders. As far as I know it has absolutely nothing to do with security.

And, as I said, they're not something I've ever come across in the ACT, NSW, Victoria or anywhere I have visited over the years.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SNH
Having been born and raised in Australia, I have NEVER come across a gated community.

I do know, however, that they are quite common in Queensland - which is practically another country anyway.

So many Australians retire to Queensland, and I know a few people who have retired up there and think gated communities are the ultimate in a snobby lifestyle.
It makes no sense to me, but I think the gated community thing actually appeals to Queenslanders. As far as I know it has absolutely nothing to do with security.

And, as I said, they're not something I've ever come across in the ACT, NSW, Victoria or anywhere I have visited over the years.
gated communities are great!
we lived in one on the gold coast, and you don't have peope driving thru your estate ,so its safer for kids and quieter, so you don't get people wandering thru making noise etc..
i certainly would not say it is for safety reasons!...everywhere i've lived in australia, including sydney city centre felt very safe, it is prestigious..keeps the rif raf out you know

mrs autorock!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We looked at a few of these gated complexes and hated them! They had tiny gardens and the houses were smaller that what I had back home.
Yes they did have a pool but my boys had to be supervised at all times and they are not little. They were also not allowed to ride their bikes or play with a ball in the street.
Found them just to restricting.
We opted for Ormeau, big house, big garden, nice area, no pool but going to buy a blow up one which will do us fine.

Just my opinion
shabee
x
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I definitely think there is status rather than stigma attached to living in a gated community. We looked at one in Hervey Bay. As you say it's not because the area is full of crime it's just to make sure that the rif raf know the facilities within are for those living in the community. Usually you pay a fee for maintenance of the grounds. Not such a bad idea as you get to have a pool, tennis court and a gardener and there is usually someone around. However, there are restrictions and I think it would be great if you liked your neighbours but awful if you didn't. Also, I guess you couldn't go skinny dipping!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwinow
However, there are restrictions and I think it would be great if you liked your neighbours but awful if you didn't.
the place we lived in had huge houses with lanscaped yards (ranging from smaller to larger, oh, and the manager only charged $5.00 to mow the lawns and $5.00 to weed your garden if you wanted it done! woohoo!) but there were so many luxuriously landscaped areas within the development to use and relax in too, and the neighbours were all very well behaved!
also, if you get partying neighbours, you can just call the police and they are swiftly sorted out, but we tended to find that the on site management was on the ball to stamp out that sort of disruptive behaviour...
that said, we looked at some more "basic" townhouse style communities and hated those!

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Also, I guess you couldn't go skinny dipping!
thank goodness for that!!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Gated communities are on the rise as the americanisation of Aus goes on.

I think it would be terrible to live in one personally. Plus the costs of living there body corporate fees.

Its the same as some of the covenants that run with the title to land here they are so restrictive bound to attract the lace curtain peepers to see that everyone is complying with the rules.

I like to live in a peaceful community but gated and segregated no.

Just for information there are covenants on land here in Melbourne that prevent you from having a caravan in your garden which can be seen by the neighbours, no plumbing pipes to be see, no front fences, no cats, no noisy lawnmowers. No working on cars in the driveway etc they go on and on. Must be painted in certain colours etc, must have right plants.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Gated communities are on the rise as the americanisation of Aus goes on.

I think it would be terrible to live in one personally. Plus the costs of living there body corporate fees.

Its the same as some of the covenants that run with the title to land here they are so restrictive bound to attract the lace curtain peepers to see that everyone is complying with the rules.

I like to live in a peaceful community but gated and segregated no.

Just for information there are covenants on land here in Melbourne that prevent you from having a caravan in your garden which can be seen by the neighbours, no plumbing pipes to be see, no front fences, no cats, no noisy lawnmowers. No working on cars in the driveway etc they go on and on. Must be painted in certain colours etc, must have right plants.
yes, the body corporate fees were huge, but the landlord paid those whilst we enjoyed the facilities!
i wouldn't buy a house in one though, ongoing expenses would be awful! but great to rent in!

being autorock's other half, and growing up in australia (albeit in glen waverley melbourne) i quite like the fact that they kind of make sure people comply with the rules, as it drives me nuts over in london that everyone in our surrounding suburb seems to be a law unto themselves and does as they please to others detriment..!
loud parties at all hours and other sorts of unsociable activities that has made me hate where i live at times, as i was powerless to stop it.....in the developments we rented in oz, a quick call to management or the police always did the trick and you could go back to sleep....
but if you don't fancy a gated community, there are plenty of great places to rent in different settings....
don't panic about the crime though...the gates really are nothing to do with it....just purely, as someone else said, there to let people know they're not welcome to come and use the pool or the tennis courts
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:50 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

We live in a gated community here in UK and love it, and would love to live somewhere similar when we return to Oz in a year or two.

Personally the only downside we find is the additional charges and certain restrictions such as hanging washing out at certain times, other than that it's great knowing that you can be at home and never suffer from noisy neighbours or speeding cars or general driveby traffic.

We are older though, so for young families I don't think it would be ideal - one of the main reasons we chose to live here was to get away from kids playing in the street. The residents here are generally younger professionals or retirees, but we all get along really well and have a fair few social gatherings throughout the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.