Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why so few going to Adelaide?

Why so few going to Adelaide?

Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why so few going to Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Clippies
Vash is an Aussie and he's off to live there

Although I suppose seeing someone post on expats isn't actually classed as meeting them
Yeah & who gives a shit what they think anyway? I've given up asking locals their opinions/ideas about things as I've been told so much bullshit, lies, halftruths & biased opinions that it's not worth it. Aussies don't always know best. I do my own thing.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:02 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah & who gives a shit what they think anyway? I've given up asking locals their opinions/ideas about things as I've been told so much bullshit, lies, halftruths & biased opinions that it's not worth it. Aussies don't always know best. I do my own thing.
Well I'm always interested in others opinion but at the end of the day you have to do your own thing don't you. Only you know what you like and what suits you
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:13 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why so few going to Adelaide?

Adelaide was 1st on my list..then perth/brissy..hubby wanted to head to brissy and up...rockhampton etc...i love the sun, but hubby tends to melt so dont think an all year 'hot' climate will suit him..
with 4 kids we need to be looking somewhere on the reasonable house price market and being kiddie friendly, with sports and activities...
Adelaide ticks all my boxes that way...anyway going with positive signs we tracked down an old mate of hubbys (did apprenticeship with & worked with, kept basic contact with etc over the years) who we knew was in Aus...hes in Adelaide, hes in the metal machining industry...hes really sold the place to the hubby..
thats where were heading out to..hopefully...who knows we might not take to it and move on...but thats the joy of Australia...its huge!
kat xxx
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why so few going to Adelaide?

I've never been to Adelaide so can't comment but i don't think I've met an Aussie who has a good thing to say about the place.
You can't have got out much.

I was born and raised in Perth - and love it. Perth will always be my home, if only in my heart.

But I've visited Adelaide many times, and know it like the back of my hand; I also lived in SA for a short time before emigrating to the UK.

I will definitely be moving to the Adelaide hills when I go home; there's no other place I'd rather be.

I've got a newspaper article about Adelaide from an ex-pat newspaper kicking around here somewhere... will post a link after work, if I rembmer.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We are looking at going to Brisbane as we have relatives there. My cousin and his wife and 2 little children went to Adelaide last year. I think they have settled in quite well but would have prefered somewhere a bit warmer.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to Adelaide, in 5 days

Will let you know what I think then
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You can't have got out much.

I was born and raised in Perth - and love it. Perth will always be my home, if only in my heart.

But I've visited Adelaide many times, and know it like the back of my hand; I also lived in SA for a short time before emigrating to the UK.

I will definitely be moving to the Adelaide hills when I go home; there's no other place I'd rather be.

I've got a newspaper article about Adelaide from an ex-pat newspaper kicking around here somewhere... will post a link after work, if I rembmer.
Be chilling dude. I have no axe to grind with Adelaide. Fact, I have NEVER met an Aussie who has a good thing about the place. I stand by my statement. End of.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

I visited my Uncle in Adelaide for a few nights. He took me to Adelaide CBD (or the town centre - call it what you want!)
What shocked me was in the indoor shopping mall, the one with a few floors, and escalators going up each floor, there were safety nets, on each floor when you look over the balcony towards the ground. Each safety net seemed to have a natural drop to the next one down, so if you jump off the top floor to your death, you'd roll onto the next one down, and so on till you get to the ground level, safely & without dying!
On the top floor there were big plexi-glass barriers so no-one could jump off the top floor.
It was becuase of the number of suicides, I was told. Mostly depressed schoolkids. My 14 year old cousin said that most of the kids here either become "goths" (dress in black with noserings etc) or punks, to feel like they belong to a "group" of some sorts.
I'm not sure how true all this info is, but I did notice alot of goths!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Well i am here living in Adelaide and have been here for 1 year now.
Although we have bought a house and hubby/kids are pretty happy, I for one am not settled.
Hubby and i can't seem to discuss this without it blowing into a huge row.
I sometimes feel homesick like alot of us on here. I have said to hubby i don't feel that i want to return to the uk, but i just don't feel right being here in Adelaide.
He won't even discuss anything else yet, and keeps trying to make the house feel homely, as if i will have a change of heart!!!
I have got to the stage of keeping my thoughts to myself and just letting the rest of the family crack on with it. But how long can i keep going!! :scared:
We came out with a resonable amount of equity from our house sale in the uk and it has still been a struggle.
I can honestly say i have never been so cold in all my life. (winter months)
The homes out here don't retain the heat during the winter.
We have just bought a electric blanket and use two duvets on our bed at night.
Not sure what you want from Adelaide but it certainly isn't ticking the right boxes for me!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:30 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hey Dorothy,

I'm off to Adelaide in the next 6 weeks. We like the idea of real seasons and a temperate climate.

xRachx
have been here 7 weeks or so,temps in the day have been around 14-18, dropping quite a bit at night -but I've been told that in Summer it can get to 45.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

None of us liked it, the houses are very old and in my opinion not cheaper for what you get.
I had a good job there but thats all and works not everything, Most of the local kids who want a career move interstate, and as mentioned there is a strange culture with the locals, hard to explain.
I worked in the health service and saw lots of strange things :scared:
Think that lots more would move on if they could but can't due to visa status.

Di
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:49 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by harveyhare
None of us liked it, the houses are very old and in my opinion not cheaper for what you get.
I had a good job there but thats all and works not everything, Most of the local kids who want a career move interstate, and as mentioned there is a strange culture with the locals, hard to explain.
I worked in the health service and saw lots of strange things :scared:
Think that lots more would move on if they could but can't due to visa status.

Di

As we are thinking of settling in Adelaide I am a bit worried about these "strange things" and "strange culture" you speak about - please explain a bit more if you can......... thanks.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:06 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by silversurfer
I visited my Uncle in Adelaide for a few nights. He took me to Adelaide CBD (or the town centre - call it what you want!)
What shocked me was in the indoor shopping mall, the one with a few floors, and escalators going up each floor, there were safety nets, on each floor when you look over the balcony towards the ground. Each safety net seemed to have a natural drop to the next one down, so if you jump off the top floor to your death, you'd roll onto the next one down, and so on till you get to the ground level, safely & without dying!
On the top floor there were big plexi-glass barriers so no-one could jump off the top floor.
It was becuase of the number of suicides, I was told. Mostly depressed schoolkids. My 14 year old cousin said that most of the kids here either become "goths" (dress in black with noserings etc) or punks, to feel like they belong to a "group" of some sorts.
I'm not sure how true all this info is, but I did notice alot of goths!
Yes when l lived in Adelaide in the Mid 90's l heard about how they had to put the safety nets in the main indoor shopping center in the city because of the large numbers of people commiting suicide from jumping off the higher floors. Also Adelaide had OZ's worst serial killers the Snowtown killings where the victims were chopped up, some eaten and the remains put in barrels of acid in a bank vault.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Adelaide so can't comment but i don't think I've met an Aussie who has a good thing to say about the place.
Hey van der merwe you should get out more ................. mm
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Yes when l lived in Adelaide in the Mid 90's l heard about how they had to put the safety nets in the main indoor shopping center in the city because of the large numbers of people commiting suicide from jumping off the higher floors. Also Adelaide had OZ's worst serial killers the Snowtown killings where the victims were chopped up, some eaten and the remains put in barrels of acid in a bank vault.
Snowtown is several miles from Adelaide. It is only a tiny place.

The bank is still there but not used :scared:

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.