Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 10:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Some see nought but a road through Perdition. I see the history of the universe writ broad and flat.

Last edited by Megalania; Mar 20th 2004 at 1:33 am.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Perth is the most isolated CITY in the world. fact. Weather or not you feel isolated is up to the induvidual

EXCUSE ME!!!
It was 26 today, a beautiful autumn day by my standards. ( and has been beautiful for weeks) Hardly COLD
We have only had one day of rain since the middle of January. Hardly that WET.
The sky is blue, i have rossella's kookaburras, black and white cockatoos (to name a few) in my back yard, the sun shines and the traffic aint too bad. Hardly depressing is it??
As for racially motivated soccer violence, eerrmm, thats in the UK right??
Gang land killings, one since i have been here, like i said its nice here in Melbourne. Perhaps you should come for a visit sometime
Hevs,

You've not been in Melbourne long have you?

Gangland killngs count 21 as at december 2003:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storyrhs

Aussie soccer violence, unlike in UK (but not Glasgow) is along ethnic lines:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/s290691.htm
http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2...sf/s302506.htm
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the Perth ethnic violence along the lines of Mancs vs Scousers?

Hevs are you in the Melbourne bogan mafia?
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:53 am
wombat42

Unless you want to join the Melbourne mafia or an ethnic gang
you don't have to worry about any of this violence affecting you.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
You dont know me .
I am sorry for saying that it says more about you and that I found your comment about people taking holidays in the Med. as "UK low life" offensive.
They work for the right to holiday where they want and just because they choose the Med. does not make them "low life" For some that is all they can afford, loads cant even afford the Med.

but alll I know about you is that YOU couldnt get a job so you have scampered of home.
How wrong you are.

Originally posted by Stoney there are a lot of people who come out here from the UK who arent used to doing a good days work and they soon get sussed out , as far as office/IT work is concerned its vastly overpaid in UK for what you do and the Aussies have sussed that to, you get what your worth.
And before any bleeding hearts jump in, he started it. .
I doubt many come from the UK who are not used to doing a hard days work, its their hard work and determination that allows them to try somthing different with their lives.

As for me I have not worked in IT for close on 3 years, I could live in Perth mortgage free and not have to worry about work. However for all its good points and bad points Perth is not where I want to live, the UK offers ME better choices. Everyone has different needs and agendas. If you don't give it a go you will never know.

Last edited by karawara88; Mar 20th 2004 at 3:42 am.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:12 am
Gremlin

You dont know me but alll I know about you is that YOU couldnt get a job so you have scampered of home.
there are a lot of people who come out here from the UK who arent used to doing a good days work and they soon get sussed out , as far as office/IT work is concerned its vastly overpaid in UK for what you do and the Aussies have sussed that to, you get what your worth.
And before any bleeding hearts jump in, he started it.
Did he start it? I thought it was you with your rather interesting (but flawed) assumption that anyone who cannot afford more than £2,000 (or who choose not to spend quite so much) for their holiday belong to the ‘low-life’ category. I had to smile at your use of the word ‘rest’, as in ‘sharing a hotel with the rest of the UK's lowlifes’. Taken in the context that you have used it indicates that you consider yourself to be part of the UK low-life.

Keith

Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Keith & Val
Did he start it? I thought it was you with your rather interesting (but flawed) assumption that anyone who cannot afford more than £2,000 (or who choose not to spend quite so much) for their holiday belong to the ‘low-life’ category. I had to smile at your use of the word ‘rest’, as in ‘sharing a hotel with the rest of the UK's lowlifes’. Taken in the context that you have used it indicates that you consider yourself to be part of the UK low-life.

Keith
Well I'm off for a couple of weeks in the Canaries today.I suppose I must be 'low life' then.
Oh dear! I thought I had made a success of my life so far

Never mind.You live and learn Don't you?

G
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:08 am
Gremlin

Originally posted by Grayling
Well I'm off for a couple of weeks in the Canaries today.I suppose I must be 'low life' then.
Oh dear! I thought I had made a success of my life so far

Never mind.You live and learn Don't you?

G
You might be alright G. Apparently you're low-life if you holiday in the mediteranean for less than £2,000, so you're probably ok in the Canaries. I am a fully paid-up member of the hoi polloi though it would seem, as last year I went to Menorca.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Keith

Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Keith
There are a lot of touchy people on here aren't there.
Its nice of you to have taken time to pick through my grammar so closely.
It was a reply to a post that reckoned you could get cheap holidays to the Med, yeah but with a catch.
you maybe got upset because you dont mind sharing hotels with scumbags or maybe you are one ?.
Isnt the anonimity of this forum great ?.
Get of your pathetic high horse I didnt say everyone in hotel was a scumbag I said you had to share it with them, and paying 2000 quid wont get you anything better.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 5:22 pm
Gremlin

There are a lot of touchy people on here aren't there.
Its nice of you to have taken time to pick through my grammar so closely.
It was a reply to a post that reckoned you could get cheap holidays to the Med, yeah but with a catch.
you maybe got upset because you dont mind sharing hotels with scumbags or maybe you are one ?.
Isnt the anonimity of this forum great ?.
Get of your pathetic high horse I didnt say everyone in hotel was a scumbag I said you had to share it with them, and paying 2000 quid wont get you anything better.
I didn't pick over your grammar at all, although your post is certainly deserving of such appraisal. If you call people low-life scumbags for being careful with their hard-earned cash then you can expect to be challenged on such sweeping generalisations and assumptions.

Keith

Last edited by Gremlin; Mar 20th 2004 at 8:05 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
Well said owieb.

We're off to Ningaloo for 10 days soon, in a 6 berth campervan, just like last year. We can't wait.

It's the best city in Australia for families and for people who love the great outdoors.

People who slag it off and haven't been here, well, their opinions are worthless.

Perth isn't just a city isolated by desert, there's the beautiful, and very different South West region which is probably as big as Tasmania.

Do people slag Tasmania off for being isolated? You want isolated, what about New Zealand?

We like living here and we too would also rather move back to the UK than have to live in a cold, wet and depressing place like Melbourne with it's racially motivated soccer violence and gangland killings. Taking the train from Melbourne to Bendigo reminded me of Northern Ireland with the Croatian murals painted on the houses.

Or Sydney where 50 strong Serb gangs battle Vietnamese in the street and the Lebanese battle each other with automatic weapons in the Western suburbs every night.

So there, my 2c on Perth. If you don't like it, stay away and let us enjoy it in solitude.

Hey! Leave NZ out of this Ozzie debate!!!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I didn't pick over your grammar at all, although your post is certainly deserving of such appraisal. If you call people low-life scumbags for being careful with their hard-earned cash then you can expect to be challenged on such sweeping generalisations and assumptions.

Keith

Not assumptions at all, I'll leave those to you, I have paid around 1800 quid twice in the last two years for family holidays in the Med and have not managed to avoid the "lowlife" element as yet
do you think spending your cash on getting as drunk as skunks everyday is being careful with your money ? I dont.
Not generalisations just observations,
And I am allowed an opinion like everyone else on here.
or is that an assumption too???
I noticed that you edited your last post, did you have to alter your grammar???
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:11 am
Gremlin

Not assumptions at all, I'll leave those to you, I have paid around 1800 quid twice in the last two years for family holidays in the Med and have not managed to avoid the "lowlife" element as yet
do you think spending your cash on getting as drunk as skunks everyday is being careful with your money ? I dont.
Not generalisations just observations,
And I am allowed an opinion like everyone else on here.
or is that an assumption too???
I noticed that you edited your last post, did you have to alter your grammar???
I edited my last post because on reflection the final paragraph was inappropriate, therefore I deleted it. I thought you weren't making assumptions?

I did wonder what your definition of low-life, scumbag was. We all have different opinions on this and you should be very careful how you categorise people. Just because somebody gets drunk, does not make them scum.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion; so am I and like you I am giving it. Your first post on this matter asserted that if you spent less than £2,000 on a holiday in the mediteranean, you would have to share it with the 'rest' of the UK's low-life. Why you cannot simply accept that your post was insulting and offensive is beyond my comprehension.

Keith

Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Hevs are you in the Melbourne bogan mafia?
Oiiii! cheeky
Old Mar 21st 2004, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I edited my last post because on reflection the final paragraph was inappropriate, therefore I deleted it. I thought you weren't making assumptions?

I did wonder what your definition of low-life, scumbag was. We all have different opinions on this and you should be very careful how you categorise people. Just because somebody gets drunk, does not make them scum.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion; so am I and like you I am giving it. Your first post on this matter asserted that if you spent less than £2,000 on a holiday in the mediteranean, you would have to share it with the 'rest' of the UK's low-life. Why you cannot simply accept that your post was insulting and offensive is beyond my comprehension.

Keith

Insulting and offensive to who ????
Unless you have yourself down as a lowlife scumbag of course...
The type that are full of tattoos, shout at kids at top of their voices no matter what time of day or night, chuck ice cubes at people on street or pool from their verandah and shout to their friends on other verandahs no matter what time of day or night, let kids run havoc upsetting well behaved punters..I dont see your problem.
If you recognised yourself in the above then I'm glad I upset you.
If not ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.