Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Mrs X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Why are so many people saying Perth isn't a great place to live? We are heading out there in the next few months, and are hoping for a life that is so much better than that we have in the UK.

I would like to keep my impression of unspoiled beaches, lots of nice parks to wander about and have picnics in, and the idea of day trips to places like Rottnest island being something you can do on a whim.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion, but maybe those of you who don't like it are singles or young couples who might need a bit more excitement than Perth can offer. I get the impression Perth is a little slower than the east coast and maybe suited to a family lifestyle. Am I right in assuming that?

Mrs X
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Each to their own - that is what we say. We are glad that some think it is too remote, not enough going on, boring after a while etc etc etc.

If everyone liked the same places etc then the world would be a boring place.

We hope that Perth will give us the outdoor lifestyle - it is relatively unspoilt (due to its remote location), is laid back etc - we are aware of the job situation but still are willing to give it a go. We have discussed it & if things don't work out in Perth workwise then we will probably try somewhere else (Brisbane probably) but want to give it a shot. we visited in December/January & both felt (kids too) that it FELT right - we appreciate that it is not for everyone but think that if we can get decent work (hubbie is an air conditioning project manager) then it will be for us!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Originally posted by Mrs X
I get the impression Perth is a little slower than the east coast and maybe suited to a family lifestyle. Am I right in assuming that?

Mrs X
I never made it there when I was in Aus, so take what I say with a big pinch of salt. I get the impression Perth has all you need EXCEPT easy physical communications with the rest of Aus (and the wider world). Like, 4 days drive or a plane flight similar to London-Athens to get to another big Aus city.

If your family unit is self-sufficient, ie the family takes up most of your time/ thoughts and you don't need to worry about a cosmopolitan lifestyle: Perth sounds perfect.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything just said.We have some friends that have travelled the whole of Oz and have given us lots of advise.They told us that Perth is really beautiful,yes it is remote, but all depends on your individual situation they personally thought East coast has more going on and maybe more job prospects etc,but at the end of the day Perth for people with families does have a lot to offer.
It too also depends on what you are wanting to get away from.
We have young children,husband works long hours and do not go anywhere else very often in the UK,so to be honest in our situation we would not want to travel further than WA at the present time.
When the kids grow up who knows they will probably want to go to England to see where they were born etc.
We shall have to see how life goes.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why are so many people saying Perth isn't a great place to live? We are heading out there in the next few months, and are hoping for a life that is so much better than that we have in the UK.

I would like to keep my impression of unspoiled beaches, lots of nice parks to wander about and have picnics in, and the idea of day trips to places like Rottnest island being something you can do on a whim.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion, but maybe those of you who don't like it are singles or young couples who might need a bit more excitement than Perth can offer. I get the impression Perth is a little slower than the east coast and maybe suited to a family lifestyle. Am I right in assuming that?

Mrs X
Maybe a lot of people are saying that Perth is not a great place to live is because that is what they think.
Don't just ignore what they say.Many people who have lived there say the same thing.
Both my boys could only stand it for a short while.They had to move east to get a job that paid a reasonable wage.
As others have said the houses are cheap but you must ask yourself why.
The beaches might be nice but are windier than Skegness:scared:

'Wishing it so don't make it so'
If you find work then you may be fine but don't just dismiss other's experiences because you don't like what you hear.

Good luck

G
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:46 pm
wombat42

Perth probably is a nice place to live, but if it was the best place in Australia to live why isn't there thousands of Australians from
the east coast all moving over there to live. Check out places to live on the east coast as well as Perth.

Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Since the demise of Pommie Bastard Perth has had it easy on here.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:19 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

If all you can do is loaf around cooling your heels in cities then why select Perth? There are other cities more suited to heel cooling. On the other hand, WA has some of Aus's biggest mining and energy operations paying good dough.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Since the demise of Pommie Bastard Perth has had it easy on here.
agreed
I love Perth, out of all the cities in Aus, its still my favorite. However i couldn't live there for all the usual reasons, to isolated, to darn hot, not enough jobs in IT. However i have lots of friends there so i will be over when the Vic winters get the better of me
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:38 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs X
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/21678/1c8d7f/

Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs X
The popularity of Perth to British migrants is an eternal mystery to me. What do they feed you in the way of propaganda over there?

It's a nice clean, shiny city - but it's in the wrong place. Great for a holiday, probably bearable for a year - but to spend the rest of your life there? Would you consider moving to a city situated - say - on the north-west coast of Africa and surrounded on three sides by the Sahara desert? Perth's position is similar.

Australia is isolated enough - why live in the most isolated place in it? How many day trips can you do to Rottnest before the novelty wears off? Then where do you go? Drive for three days to Adelaide or Broome?

And I'm not a young single (two teenage sons). I wouldn't live there - I'd rather go back to the UK - and that's saying a lot!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:07 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs X
I love Sydney too Mrs X just like some other posters..but we all have different values and different ideas about where we want to live- something else to cheer you up. It's wrong that people are slated for loving Perth - it also seems so pointless but it seems to be an ever recurring thread! http://www.clode.com/cam.html
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:31 pm
owieb

Originally posted by nickyc
It's a nice clean, shiny city - but it's in the wrong place. Great for a holiday, probably bearable for a year - but to spend the rest of your life there? Would you consider moving to a city situated - say - on the north-west coast of Africa and surrounded on three sides by the Sahara desert? Perth's position is similar.

Australia is isolated enough - why live in the most isolated place in it? How many day trips can you do to Rottnest before the novelty wears off? Then where do you go? Drive for three days to Adelaide or Broome?

And I'm not a young single (two teenage sons). I wouldn't live there - I'd rather go back to the UK - and that's saying a lot!
Mmmmm, depends what you like doing with your life I guess. Me, I love kite surfing, I love sailing, I love mountain biking, I love surfing and I love diving. Perth is one of the best places in the world to do these activities.

You have seabreezes that comes in 6 out of 7 days throughtout the summer. You have world class surf all year round both in the Metro area and Margaret River. You've got the stunning Ningaloo Reef, just 12 hours away by car or a couple of hours on a plane. The beautiful southern region of Denmark, Albany and Esperance.

If you're not into the outdoor lifestyle and don't enjoy water activities then maybe people will find Perth a bit limiting, but I can't think of a better place to be right now and as long as I am fit enough to be out there I'm not going anywhere!

Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Just 12 hours by car or a couple by plane.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:01 pm
owieb

Originally posted by bondipom
Just 12 hours by car or a couple by plane.
That's nothing really. It used to take me 12 hours to get to Cornwall when the traffic was bad, then you'd get there and have to spend all the time indoors because the weather was so bad!

But the Ningaloo reef is absolutely stunning and one of only a few near pristine reefs in the world, where you can see manta rays, whale sharks, humpback whales as well as over 500 other species of fish. And most of this can be seen by swimming directly from the beach, no need to go out in a boat.

I can't think of many places in the world where this kind of natural wonder is a couple of hours away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.