Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Oz/Nz and not Europe??????

Why Oz/Nz and not Europe??????

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:27 pm
Merlot

Default Why Oz/Nz and not Europe??????

I have a burning question to you all wanting to come to Oz/NZ. Why here and not on your doorstep where you don't need a visa/passport?

There are some I have seen that have taken the plunge, learnt the lingo and moved onto Spain or France for example. Just wondering what the draw is to travel 12,000 miles away from the UK?

Some of you may have researched Europe and concluded not that flash? Others may have tried and not liked?

Your thoughts posters?

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Oz/Nz and not Europe??????

Originally posted by Merlot
I have a burning question to you all wanting to come to Oz/NZ. Why here and not on your doorstep where you don't need a visa/passport?

There are some I have seen that have taken the plunge, learnt the lingo and moved onto Spain or France for example. Just wondering what the draw is to travel 12,000 miles away from the UK?

Some of you may have researched Europe and concluded not that flash? Others may have tried and not liked?

Your thoughts posters?

Merlot
The obvious.
Europe is full of foreigners who don't speak English, eat strange food and drive on wrong side of the road.

:lecture:
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:37 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Bix
The obvious.
Europe is full of foreigners who don't speak English, eat strange food and drive on wrong side of the road.
LOL!!! I asked for that one. Though I believe parts of mainland Spain are like Blackpool!

Seriously, I was thinking say I was in many of your shoes, pigged off with the UK and wanting a sea change, where would I go and what would I do?

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:37 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix
The obvious.

So is Australia.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!!! I asked for that one. Though I believe parts of mainland Spain are like Blackpool!

Seriously, I was thinking say I was in many of your shoes, pigged off with the UK and wanting a sea change, where would I go and what would I do?

Merlot
I was being serious.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:42 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by bondipom
So is Australia.
I have to say I agree here apart from we drive on the same side of the road as the UK.

Australians are foreigners are they not in the respect of a different country/culture?

Sorry don't mean to sound difficult but I am confused? Can you explain further?

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by bondipom
So is Australia.
I was expecting that quip but disagree.

Language and food nowhere near to the same degree as Europe and only hoons drive on the right in OZ.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:46 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Bix
I was expecting that quip but disagree.

Language and food nowhere near to the same degree as Europe and only hoons drive on the right in OZ.
Bix

Have you considered Europe?

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Your thoughts posters?

Merlot
I considered Spain before I came here, I also visited most of the European countries. I think the language is the main barrier, even for those who can learn it to a reasonable degree.

The answer may be that Australia is more English than Europe is?

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:52 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I considered Spain before I came here, I also visited most of the European countries. I think the language is the main barrier, even for those who can learn it to a reasonable degree.

The answer may be that Australia is more English than Europe is?
This is something that would put me off, thinking about those "everyday" things. You know when you need to get up the bank on the phone or explain where the pain is at the dentist. Hard enough when you speak the same lingo.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

I have to say I agree here apart from we drive on the same side of the road as the UK.

Australians are foreigners are they not in the respect of a different country/culture?

Sorry don't mean to sound difficult but I am confused? Can you explain further?

Merlot

Okay, we are agreed on the driving so lets forget that.

Basic language of OZ = English
Basic language of Europe = take your pick plus some English.

Culture ? You don't need to change countries to find different cultures. Look at regions of the same country. But OZ is far closer to UK culture than anywhere in Europe. After all we are from the same genes.

Food ? Europeans ruin good meat with their fancy ideas. Stuffing it full of eg herbs. Need to take advice from ABC. Give us a good plain steak or a pasty
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Europe for the last 7 years plus another 2 a bit earlier.

Why NZ and not Europe? The general skills points don't get any more the older you get! For Aus and NZ you usually need to satisfy an entry requirement which would become progressively more difficult to satisfy as you age.

I can go live and work in any of the 25 EU countries (after May 1st) plus Norway and Switzerland any time I like. But NZ and Aus might close the door.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:58 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I've lived in Europe for the last 7 years plus another 2 a bit earlier.

Why NZ and not Europe? The general skills points don't get any more the older you get! For Aus and NZ you usually need to satisfy an entry requirement which would become progressively more difficult to satisfy as you age.

I can go live and work in any of the 25 EU countries (after May 1st) plus Norway and Switzerland any time I like. But NZ and Aus might close the door.
Some interesting info. Thanks . . . .Merlot

Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:00 am
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi merlot,well i have always wanted to live in spain(must be the spanish blood in me)and have always felt at home there when we have been on holidays.I have been and lived in oz 3 times now and i have a lot of family here.My hubby as always loved oz and it took him yrs of talking and coming out here again for me to agree to move here again..Hubby would never have it about moving to spain!not even a holiday home there..the way things are turning out now i wish he had of really considered it as the kids would of only a 2 or 3 hr flight to be with us if they wanted to be in the uk....Maybe now when we get back at the end of the year ill get my wish!!!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix

Have you considered Europe?

Merlot
Oh yes.
Considered and rejected.
Have travelled Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Spain over the years and it's not for me.
Language is a very big barrier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.