Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:03 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by LSH
Would i love an RS4!!!

It's either the house or an RS4, difficult one really! Have you seen the price of them and they dont even come with demerit points, get out of jail cards!! I ask you.
I would say that it would kick anM3's ass but people don't belive me.
Could have had one in UK if we didn't move to oz

£50K in UK, $176K in oz, whats that about?

Last edited by Suni&Jay; Nov 3rd 2006 at 10:05 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melchels
How can anyone from UK possibly moan about Aussie cars! The UK car industry.....what car industry!

Now when we did have a British car manufacturer they came up with:

Austin Allegro
Austin Maxi
Mini Metro
Morris Marina
Rover 800
Triumph Acclaim
Austin Ambassador......need I go on?
No you are right look at all the great aussie cars.

Holden Commodore, every model up to the VR was s***

Ford Falcon, every model up to the AU was s***

Mitsubishi Sigma, that was a world beater

And lets not forget the world renowned classics like the Kingswood.

We can all name crap cars, how about naming some good cars from the UK instead of a load of British Leyland rubbish.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:40 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
No you are right look at all the great aussie cars.

Holden Commodore, every model up to the VR was s***

Ford Falcon, every model up to the AU was s***

Mitsubishi Sigma, that was a world beater

And lets not forget the world renowned classics like the Kingswood.

We can all name crap cars, how about naming some good cars from the UK instead of a load of British Leyland rubbish.
Go on then
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bugger !

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I suggest that in the UK they have a good reputation because there are hardly any of them on the road to begin with, and therefore you will have fewer reports of bad apples. I've been in the UK for nearly three years, and seen only a couple of Mitsus in that time - both of them 4WDs.

I can assure you that the Japanese-made ones are just as dodgy as those made in Australia. The company has enough recalls to fill a book.

Click here for the details...

This is worrying.

When ( if ) we get to Aus, the Mitsu Pajero LWB ( an oldish one ) was going to be near the top of my 'to buy' list. They seem to have a lot in Aus and lots with very high mileage and still going strong. Does anyone have any experiences with the Pajero ? Or, any recommendationbs for a reliable used large 4x4 ?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Go on then

Mini
Rolls Royce
Bentley
TVR
Morgan
Land Rover
Range Rover
Jaguar/Daimler
MG
Most of the Ford range from 63 to present day
Jensen
Healey
Lotus
Reliant (Del boy had one)
Rover up to the SDI
TR range from TR2 to TR6

Can I stop please as I want to go to bed.

I know some of the above are not now in existence or British owned, but I am trying to make a valid point that the UK has produced fair better vehicles now and in the past to Australia..
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 5:24 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugger !

Originally Posted by elmtree
This is worrying.

When ( if ) we get to Aus, the Mitsu Pajero LWB ( an oldish one ) was going to be near the top of my 'to buy' list. They seem to have a lot in Aus and lots with very high mileage and still going strong. Does anyone have any experiences with the Pajero ? Or, any recommendationbs for a reliable used large 4x4 ?
Forget the Pajero and get a LandCruiser... Ours is great, built like a tank, totally reliable. There's bundles of them over here so you'll have no trouble picking one up and just about everyone can work on them. Diesel option is obviously the best but costs quite a lot more. Depending on what you want to do and where you want to go the best option is a dual fuel setup where the sub tank is replaced with a 95 litre LPG unit to go with the 95 litre ULP tank. There's plenty already converted for sale here in Sydney. Don't expect much better than 12-15 mpg but at less than 20 pence per litre on LPG it's hardly bank breaking...!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landcruiser

Originally Posted by rodders39
Forget the Pajero and get a LandCruiser... Ours is great, built like a tank, totally reliable. There's bundles of them over here so you'll have no trouble picking one up and just about everyone can work on them. Diesel option is obviously the best but costs quite a lot more. Depending on what you want to do and where you want to go the best option is a dual fuel setup where the sub tank is replaced with a 95 litre LPG unit to go with the 95 litre ULP tank. There's plenty already converted for sale here in Sydney. Don't expect much better than 12-15 mpg but at less than 20 pence per litre on LPG it's hardly bank breaking...!

Thanks for that. What year and model is yours ? Seven seater ? I almost certainly won't be buying a new one. Do you think I'll get something decent for under $20K ?
( I like the look of the new Sahara but not at $80K+ )
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:04 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landcruiser

Originally Posted by elmtree
Thanks for that. What year and model is yours ? Seven seater ? I almost certainly won't be buying a new one. Do you think I'll get something decent for under $20K ?
( I like the look of the new Sahara but not at $80K+ )
We've the 4.5L straight six GXL 2000 model. The GXL is the most popular one. Comes with 7 seats, auto, aircon, cruise, airbags, CD, leccy windows, etc. Doesn't have leather, ABS, sunroof. $20k is pushing it but $25k-$30k is no problem.

Like I said look at what you want to do with it; if like us you want to do touring and a bit of offroad stuff (Fraser Island and beach driving is fun...!) then look for the accessories already fitted. You should as a minimum get a proper bar at the front and tow bar at the rear. You may find, as we did, that the suspension gets a bit flat over 100k so look for something that has already had it changed and lifted by about 3". LT (light truck) tyres are better than normal road ones so look for a set of those, Coopers are probably the best - about $1,300 to change yourself. Anything else fitted is a bonus.

Watch out for anything that's been undersprayed. They have a habit here of spraying the underside with some sort of black paint. If you see one like that walk away; there can only be one reason to do it to a 'Cruiser and that's to hide a hard life...
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Landcruiser

Originally Posted by rodders39
We've the 4.5L straight six GXL 2000 model. The GXL is the most popular one. Comes with 7 seats, auto, aircon, cruise, airbags, CD, leccy windows, etc. Doesn't have leather, ABS, sunroof. $20k is pushing it but $25k-$30k is no problem.

Like I said look at what you want to do with it; if like us you want to do touring and a bit of offroad stuff (Fraser Island and beach driving is fun...!) then look for the accessories already fitted. You should as a minimum get a proper bar at the front and tow bar at the rear. You may find, as we did, that the suspension gets a bit flat over 100k so look for something that has already had it changed and lifted by about 3". LT (light truck) tyres are better than normal road ones so look for a set of those, Coopers are probably the best - about $1,300 to change yourself. Anything else fitted is a bonus.

Watch out for anything that's been undersprayed. They have a habit here of spraying the underside with some sort of black paint. If you see one like that walk away; there can only be one reason to do it to a 'Cruiser and that's to hide a hard life...

Many thanks for the advice, which I shall cut and paste to my file.

To be honest I don't anticipate much real offroading, sand dunes, beaches, that type of thing...... although you never know ....

I shall review my budget accordingly.

Cheers !
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:16 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Talking Car Ownership in Australia

We're still running the RAV4 we bought the week after we landed in 2003. Great family car does everything you need and cheap to service - insurance is a little steep though.

However this is now Mrs Dinky's car as I have finally given in to my urges and bought a Porsche. It's a 12 year old 968CS (as if you care!) with the engine in the front (as if you'd know!). The aim is to do a few track days each year and really enjoy it. Having lusted after one in the UK for years and seeing the sell for less than £10k I thought bring on Australia! Same car - over twice as much! Very low depreciation (one of only 14 brought into Australia by Porsche) - I did my research and they didn’t see me coming! Over 30 mpg taking it easy. Insurance is cheaper than the RAV (thank you Shannon’s) and via the Owners club in Sydney I’ve found a great mechanic who’s fairly priced. Spares are not cheap but hey live the dream.

Now all I need if an HSV for the week and I’m sorted! You can continue to dream…………..

Dinky

P.S. I have and always will like cars!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:52 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The Holden Efijy has been crowned the Hot Rod of the Year, 2006, by American Hot Rod magazine.
Best looking concept Hot Rod I've seen since Plymouth brought out the Prowler.
Attached Thumbnails Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence-a_fjconcept_1bb.jpg  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:01 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Decided after reading this thread that my job isn't too bad after all. On any given day I can have a play in any model imported into Aus of, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Land/Range Rover, Lotus, Porsche, BMW, Peugeot, Audi, Honda, Chrysler/Dodge, and some of the 'lesser' makes as well. Get's boring after a while though
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:03 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Decided after reading this thread that my job isn't too bad after all. On any given day I can have a play in any model imported into Aus of, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Land/Range Rover, Lotus, Porsche, BMW, Peugeot, Audi, Honda, Chrysler/Dodge, and some of the 'lesser' makes as well. Get's boring after a while though
Get back to your curtains!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:13 pm
Life's a gamble

Originally Posted by 232Bar
You got any jobs going?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:34 am
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LSH
Would i love an RS4!!!

It's either the house or an RS4, difficult one really! Have you seen the price of them and they dont even come with demerit points, get out of jail cards!! I ask you.
Just before we migrated i went round Croft racing circuit with a mate in his RS4 with 720 HP i had a grin from ear to ear and was a tad green . I brought my Audi over to Oz with me, it is an Audi S2. I had it on the road 3 months when some in-attentive pr1ck bumped into the back of me. The damage was payed for by his insurance and the garage in Adelaide which done the repair specialized in Aston's, Jags and Porsche's. He said the big difference between European cars such as Audi and Merc, is that the bodywork tolerance is 0.5mm where as an Aussie car has a tolerance of around 3mm, the parts almost never line up correctly and they have to squeeze the bits into place and fill in the gaps!!! :scared: . So this in part explains why they are so crap. I had a hells angel type ask me when i am going to buy a real Ozzie car, my reply was when an Ozzie makes a real car- he wasn't impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.