British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why no vertical expansion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-no-vertical-expansion-673413/)

Officer Dibble Jun 21st 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Why no vertical expansion

Originally Posted by Gibbo (Post 8647987)
Why is it nimbyism if people prefer single storey dwellings? Would it be fine for them to say that of you because you don't?

What people are you talking about?

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2010 7:06 pm

I wonder if people that actually do want higher density living are actually the silent Majority ?

Reason I like the idea, is the more people you get in a smaller area, the more choice in every aspect that comes along on its tail.... From Retail, through to Transport and Services.

Got to admit, a lot of Aussies I talk seem to fear it. I think they've been conned. It's one aspect of my long distant past in the UK that I still carry and would like to see in the Australian Cities.... stuff driving for miles and miles.

The Top Ends of Lygon in Brunswick and High st in Preston are thriving because of more highrise.

Officer Dibble Jun 21st 2010 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8648000)
I wonder if people that actually do want higher density living are actually the silent Majority ?

Reason I like the idea, is the more people you get in a smaller area, the more choice in every aspect that comes along on its tail.... From Retail, through to Transport and Services.

Got to admit, a lot of Aussies I talk seem to fear it. I think they've been conned. It's one aspect of my long distant past in the UK that I still carry and would like to see in the Australian Cities.... stuff driving for miles and miles.

I would think transport would be one of the first things to suffer with high density living and not sure how you'll get more retail choice, just more of the same chain stores.

29palms Jun 21st 2010 7:18 pm

How can you keep spreading out when you havent got the infrastrcture to support it? You need to add density to already established areas with infrastructure, otherwise you will have endless suburbs of nothingness!
The state Gov't recognises this now and that why planning rules will change to accomadate density.

And yes it is NIMBY logic if a proposal is put forward for an inner suburb where denisty is needed, thre is no more room for single storey properties hence with the burgenoning population growth there is no alternitive.

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2010 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8648011)
I would think transport would be one of the first things to suffer with high density living and not sure how you'll get more retail choice, just more of the same chain stores.

Totally disagree there are heaps more train lines in London in the 30 years since I've left. They recently opened a new direct line from Crystal Palace to Highbury and all points inbetween... there are trams now in Croydon.. the Docklands Light rail.. I was gobsmacked at the change in the Underground map, since I left and how it is now. A couple more bridges across the the Thames..

They are talking about new underground rail networks here in Melbourne from St Kilda through To Carlton... more people will only accelerate that process.... There are more people to pay as well.

Re the Shops, you tend to get more and more Speciality shops with more people around. Plenty of examples again in London, Plus there are far wider choices as to the range of Foods and Goods available.

29palms Jun 21st 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8648023)
Totally disagree there are heaps more train lines in London in the 30 years since I've left. They recently opened a new direct line from Crystal Palace to Highbury and all points inbetween... there are trams now in Croydon.. the Docklands Light rail.. I was gobsmacked at the change in the Underground map, since I left and how it is now. A couple more bridges across the the Thames..

They are talking about new underground rail networks here in Melbourne from St Kilda through To Carlton... more people will only accelerate that process.... There are more people to pay as well.

Re the Shops, you tend to get more and more Speciality shops with more people around. Plenty of examples again in London, Plus there are far wider choices as to the range of Foods and Goods available.

I agree and that fortunatly is what melbourne is good at, -speciality stores and independant retaliers, specifically in the inner suburbs of Melbourne.

Gjn200 Jun 21st 2010 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8647627)
Then why not to go for it atleast for new buildings that are built after demolition of old properties.

If it's like Adelaide, ther are planning regs on the population density for a given area.

Alfresco Jun 21st 2010 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 29palms (Post 8648017)
How can you keep spreading out when you havent got the infrastrcture to support it? You need to add density to already established areas with infrastructure, otherwise you will have endless suburbs of nothingness!
The state Gov't recognises this now and that why planning rules will change to accomadate density.

And yes it is NIMBY logic if a proposal is put forward for an inner suburb where denisty is needed, thre is no more room for single storey properties hence with the burgenoning population growth there is no alternitive.

The same can be said for going vertical. Look at parking for example in the UK and Europe. It's a nightmare. :eek:

To be honsest I can't wait to leave the density of UK living. I don't like being able to hear my neighbours on a regular basis.

moneypenny20 Jun 21st 2010 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8648179)
The same can be said for going vertical. Look at parking for example in the UK and Europe. It's a nightmare. :eek:

To be honsest I can't wait to leave the density of UK living. I don't like being able to hear my neighbours on a regular basis.

Most people on here complain about the block sizes and the size of the houses built on those blocks and how the suburbs and CBD are getting more compacted and wishing they could move further out with more space. You (general) then bang on about the high rises that apparently cover the Gold Coast and how awful it is (whether you've been here or not) and now you lot are suggesting high rises are good and the way to go and how stupid people are for not wanting it.

What a pile of nonsense.

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8648191)
Most people on here complain about the block sizes and the size of the houses built on those blocks and how the suburbs and CBD are getting more compacted and wishing they could move further out with more space. You (general) then bang on about the high rises that apparently cover the Gold Coast and how awful it is (whether you've been here or not) and now you lot are suggesting high rises are good and the way to go and how stupid people are for not wanting it.

What a pile of nonsense.

I've always said I like the Gold Coast.... but I'd say I'm in a minority. I think it's a unique place in Australia. I'm not adverse to a touch of Glitz, bling, plastic and Boobs once every 3 or 4 years..... Especially if the pub is just across the road :) I just wish they would sell more foreign beer... It's been awhile maybe they are now.

DownUnderPaddy Jun 21st 2010 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8647627)
Need to understand why Victorians don't prefer to build stories.

CSIRO recommendation for livable housing in VIC, best suited to our climate i believe is for single story, north facing, weatherboard. Would that be a factor ?

moneypenny20 Jun 21st 2010 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8648202)
I've always said I like the Gold Coast.... but I'd say I'm in a minority. I think it's a unique place in Australia. I'm not adverse to a touch of Glitz, bling, plastic and Boobs once every 3 or 4 years..... Especially if the pub is just across the road :) I just wish they would sell more foreign beer... It's been awhile maybe they are now.

That's partly my point though. The vast majority of the Gold Coast is not high rise and rarely more than two storeys so the constant perception of high rise hell is wrong but now people are saying that high rises are good. Can't have it both ways.

mpgrewal Jun 21st 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 8648207)
CSIRO recommendation for livable housing in VIC, best suited to our climate i believe is for single story, north facing, weatherboard. Would that be a factor ?

It may need amendment as we approach towards BIG Australia. Occupying arable land, which generates our food, with homes is going to put us in trouble in near future. We can learn from the mistake which India made. The country which used to export surplus food for 60 years, suddenly had to start importing it to feed its population. And the reason was, they built houses on most of the fertile fields and dishonoured land for selfish and commerical purposes.

Land and water are the most precious assets of a nation, they need to be used judiciously.

Gibbo Jun 21st 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8647993)
What people are you talking about?

Thought it would have been obvious - those who used the term to describe the people who were against high rise building.

DownUnderPaddy Jun 21st 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8648288)
It may need amendment as we approach towards BIG Australia. Occupying arable land, which generates our food, with homes is going to put us in trouble in near future. We can learn from the mistake which India made. The country which used to export surplus food for 60 years, suddenly had to start importing it to feed its population. And the reason was, they built houses on most of the fertile fields and dishonoured land for selfish and commerical purposes.

Land and water are the most precious assets of a nation, they need to be used judiciously.

haha....you should consider a career change MP. You'd be a cracker of a politician :ohmy: