British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why no vertical expansion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-no-vertical-expansion-673413/)

mpgrewal Jun 21st 2010 12:34 pm

Why no vertical expansion

Let alone hi-rise apartments, even double storey houses are hard to find in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Vic govt is under pressure to control the expansion of the city and still accomodate rising population within train's approachability.

Need to understand why Victorians don't prefer to build stories. Economically storied houses are win-win as they save land and accomodate more people. Security is also more as burglars won't go upstairs and break into. If they do, someone will hear it and alarm the police.

Then why not to go for it atleast for new buildings that are built after demolition of old properties.

Deutschmaster Jun 21st 2010 12:57 pm

Re: Why no vertical expansion

I reckon it's nimbyism really.

Swerv-o Jun 21st 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8647627)
Let alone hi-rise apartments, even double storey houses are hard to find in Melbourne's inner suburbs. Vic govt is under pressure to control the expansion of the city and still accomodate rising population within train's approachability.

Need to understand why Victorians don't prefer to build stories. Economically storied houses are win-win as they save land and accomodate more people. Security is also more as burglars won't go upstairs and break into. If they do, someone will hear it and alarm the police.

Then why not to go for it atleast for new buildings that are built after demolition of old properties.

Welcome to Australia. If you can make head or tail of half the things they do/don't do here, you're a better person than I...

S

Amazulu Jun 21st 2010 1:15 pm

This is a very good question. One factor is that double storey costs a lot more to build due to the scaffolding required (and other issues).

mpgrewal Jun 21st 2010 1:16 pm

I reckon it will be high cost of building triple storey houses or some councils might have banned them. Not sure.. But I think Nimby mentality will change if govt educates people about benefits of growing upwards..

Personally I love short and high cities as commute time is less and police density is more. Singapore and Hongkong are good examples, no house breaks, arsons, etc.. safe living

Dorothy Jun 21st 2010 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8647659)
I reckon it will be high cost of building triple storey houses or some councils might have banned them. Not sure.. But I think Nimby mentality will change if govt educates people about benefits of growing upwards..

Personally I love short and high cities as commute time is less and police density is more. Singapore and Hongkong are good examples, no house breaks, arsons, etc.. safe living

I would think the lower crime rates for break ins in Hong Kong and Singapore have more to do with culture/punishment for those crimes than high rise buildings. Have you had a look at other cities' crime figures for burglaries? New York or Toronto for example? Both high rise cities.

dave99 Jun 21st 2010 3:52 pm

Maybe they dont want to build any closer to the sun, the sun is the enemy!

mpgrewal Jun 21st 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 8647777)
Maybe they dont want to build any closer to the sun, the sun is the enemy!

Sun is a friend in such cold days. Also, all floors stay cool except the top one whose roof is exposed to sun:huh:

Officer Dibble Jun 21st 2010 5:34 pm

Saw something about this issue on TV although in Qld and about high rise living. Was a combination of nimbyism and infrastructure issues. Many people didnt want their quaint leafy little streets turned into busy roads and parking was another issue as well as a lack of parks/reserves and peoples backyards being overlooked.

It seemed though that the developers get around these issues by not meeting with the residents face to face and allocating units to the elderly etc. It will have to happen in time.

Ive lived in a two storey place here in Adelaide and in summer, the heat was shocking, the air con was running all night at times during summer which could be another drain on antiquated sub stations.

mpgrewal Jun 21st 2010 6:01 pm

Ok. What if you own a land and want to a build double storey townhouse on that? Do the councils object and builders/masons charge fortune for the 2nd floor.

29palms Jun 21st 2010 6:04 pm

Bsically, In melbourne not sure about other cities, the city has differnet zones which enforce how high a building can be built. So the CBD Area is unlimited (As long as the yarra is not shadowed), Most of Southbank is the same, and certain areas along St Kilda Road have limitations. Then you get out into the suburbs and it becomes more differcult to build high rises:

1. It becomes very differcult to build above 3 floors due to restrictions by the state Gov't.

2. Melbourne all of sudden is full of NIMBYS who will oppose anything that is above 5 floors as being an outrage and even more sadly the herald sun and age seem to support the claims without looking at the benefits, such as creating jobs and the local economy etc. Developers bend over backwards nowadays to meet the requirements, but because a group of small minded people dont want change in their own little world then they will do anything in the path to halt a project. One prime example recently is in South Yarra and Toorak, and an even worse example of NIMBYS halting developments is the ST Kilda Triangle.

But on a positive note the State Gov't and councils are now accepting the fact that higher density will have to become maditory in certain suburbs outside the CBD and you will see a lot more of them going up in the years to come.

Alfresco Jun 21st 2010 6:50 pm

Australia is a huge country. No need to go high rise.

The sun should be shared equally by everyone. ;)

Officer Dibble Jun 21st 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8647972)
Australia is a huge country. No need to go high rise.

The sun should be shared equally by everyone. ;)

You are joking about the first bit arent you? :rofl: :blink:

ozzieeagle Jun 21st 2010 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8647900)
Ok. What if you own a land and want to a build double storey townhouse on that? Do the councils object and builders/masons charge fortune for the 2nd floor.

You can build a 3 storey building on just about any houseblock in Moreland. As long as there are already 2 storey homes in that street. Thats what the Council told me. Now I'm wondering if that applies to most other inner municipalities in Melbourne. I'm getting quotes of around 13,000 Aud per Square... thats 10feet by 10 feet... .god knows why builders in Melbourne quote that way.

Gibbo Jun 21st 2010 6:59 pm

Why is it nimbyism if people prefer single storey dwellings? Would it be fine for them to say that of you because you don't?