Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why move to Australia...

Why move to Australia...

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Smile Why move to Australia...

Couldn't help but notice there were a few people on the forum tonight with 'cold feet'. We moved to Melbourne 3 weeks ago. Everyone's so friendly here. It's hot - 33 degrees and we've got air-con on tonight. Came home from work tonight and went for a walk along the beach before going for beers and dinner outdoors. Had a bottle of lovely Oz wine which tasted twice as good as Oz wine in the UK and was half the price. Gonna get up for a swim in the sea tomorrow morning. On Wednesday, had a dilemma - it was windy - should we kitesurf or go sailing? The local sailing club charges $5 to crew for the evening with beers afterwards. Went kitesurfing - was amazing. Found out today about the National Parks, we can go and stay in a little hut and there's all sorts of wildlife like koalas and kangaroos - just a few hours drive from Melbourne.
We hear it's pretty cold in England. I speak to my parents every few days (bought a phonecard for $10 ((about £4.00)) which gives us 720 minutes of UK landline phonetime!! Work it out - about 0.5 cents per minute - that's about 0.2p a minute. And we've got the internet here, so MSN messenger etc. BELIEVE ME - IF YOU'VE GOT COLD FEET...DON'T WORRY...WE HAD EXACTLY THE SAME IN THE FEW WEEKS BEFORE WE LEFT...BUT...ONE CRACK AT LIFE...IT'S AMAZING HERE...come and find out - hey, if you don't like it then you just get a flight back....
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:31 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to Australia...

Good on yer Matt.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Couldn't help but notice there were a few people on the forum tonight with 'cold feet'. We moved to Melbourne 3 weeks ago. Everyone's so friendly here. It's hot - 33 degrees and we've got air-con on tonight. Came home from work tonight and went for a walk along the beach before going for beers and dinner outdoors. Had a bottle of lovely Oz wine which tasted twice as good as Oz wine in the UK and was half the price. Gonna get up for a swim in the sea tomorrow morning. On Wednesday, had a dilemma - it was windy - should we kitesurf or go sailing? The local sailing club charges $5 to crew for the evening with beers afterwards. Went kitesurfing - was amazing. Found out today about the National Parks, we can go and stay in a little hut and there's all sorts of wildlife like koalas and kangaroos - just a few hours drive from Melbourne.
We hear it's pretty cold in England. I speak to my parents every few days (bought a phonecard for $10 ((about £4.00)) which gives us 720 minutes of UK landline phonetime!! Work it out - about 0.5 cents per minute - that's about 0.2p a minute. And we've got the internet here, so MSN messenger etc. BELIEVE ME - IF YOU'VE GOT COLD FEET...DON'T WORRY...WE HAD EXACTLY THE SAME IN THE FEW WEEKS BEFORE WE LEFT...BUT...ONE CRACK AT LIFE...IT'S AMAZING HERE...come and find out - hey, if you don't like it then you just get a flight back....

Nice post mate. Glad you are enjoying it.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And you better be comin to the Melbourne meet tomorrow Mathew
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bordy
And you better be comin to the Melbourne meet tomorrow Mathew
Eh? I have missed something?...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:40 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Eh? I have missed something?...
Midday tomorrow, about 40 of us in Mordialloc. Don't you check Britvics????

tut tut
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Midday tomorrow, about 40 of us in Mordialloc. Don't you check Britvics????

tut tut
aw sorry mate - bit slack with all of this and we thought we may go out for the day tomorrow. Listen let me know if there's any other meet-ups at any stage...besides...where the hell is Mordialloc - sounds like somewhere from Lord of the Rings!!!...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:49 am
The Godfather

aw sorry mate - bit slack with all of this and we thought we may go out for the day tomorrow. Listen let me know if there's any other meet-ups at any stage...besides...where the hell is Mordialloc - sounds like somewhere from Lord of the Rings!!!...
Its South ish Melbourne but not as far down as the peninsula, shaping up to be one of the biggest ever. Melways ref 92 E1.

If you can make it great if not see you at next one.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Its South ish Melbourne but not as far down as the peninsula, shaping up to be one of the biggest ever. Melways ref 92 E1.

If you can make it great if not see you at next one.
Sounds cool - probably won't make tomorrow but keep me posted - may be able to make another. Have a few s for me...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why move to Australia...

Matt, thanks for the great encouraging post. STILL trying to decide between Melbourne and Brisbane but Melbourne is winning this week. STILL waiting to hear about my redundancy - apparently there will be an official announcement at the beginning of April. Once I have a date on that we can put the house on the market, get the NZ citizen spouse visa which apparently takes 4-6 weeks, book the flights and be on our way.

I'm sure there'll be a few road humps between then and now.

Glass half full / half empty? No, you need a smaller glass.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Before I read on, just wanted to let you know what a great post this is, always helps to hear of people who have worried before leaving and are fine once they've arrived.

Enjoy your weekend.
Nicanjoe
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post Matt,,,just what I needed to read today
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:23 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Great post. We are moving to Melbourne in the next few weeks- can't wait. Its always nice to hear that people are having a good time in Aus- it makes the move less daunting. Looking forward to the next Melbourne meet
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chessp
Great post. We are moving to Melbourne in the next few weeks- can't wait. Its always nice to hear that people are having a good time in Aus- it makes the move less daunting. Looking forward to the next Melbourne meet
Nice. Anyone got any questions at any time that they think, "ah, that guy Matt - he's just moved to Melbourne" then please let me know. Chances are we've had the same problem and seeing as we've got no problems at the moment, we probably solved it. Just get in touch...
Keep smiling all..Oz is fab...off for a swim in the sea...and then maybe a coffee...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Why move to Australia...

Nice one Matt!

We've been here about 18 months now and absolutely love it. We did a number of holiday trips over a decade to Adelaide (it's lovely in the Adelaide Hill region and the people are so friendly), Sydney (very much a city with strong opinions from its population - was a bit pricey at the time but loved it all the same), Melbourne (it rained most of the week we were there and the view from the Rialto Tower was very, very scarey - I hate heights! - great sporting facilities, great restaurants, thriving, happening city) and then Brisbane with its famous Gold and Sunshine Coasts. Brisbane's a pleasant and clean city, easy to navigate and the weather was always that bit more liveable than the others (in terms of weather - we like warm winters and steady temps) so we decided to call Queensland our home. When we got to the Sunshine Coast we didn't want to leave!

Australia's a great place to live! For anyone getting last minute nerves throw caution to the wind. It really may be that once in a lifetime opportunity that you'll regret and, as is said by so many others on the forum, you can always go back if it doesn't work out. But we're not going anywhere!!!

Paul and Gill
www.koalakonnection.com.au
It's where we call home now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.