Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Move To Australia

Why Move To Australia

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:41 am
Me_not_You

Default Why Move To Australia

Hi,

I am just starting the process of getting a visa, and luckily found this website which is useful and answers questions I didn't know I had.

However, I am getting more and more concerned that the majority of posts by people already in Australia are very negative. There are a lot of complaints about things like:
1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
3. ALL areas - I've never seen anyone recommend an area that can be afforded by a non-millionaire
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Is there anybody already migrated to Australia, been there for more than a month, and actually likes it? I would love to hear what people genuinely like about Oz, what is great, what is better than they expected etc.

I presume all the people who constantly moan about everything Australian are planning to return to the UK?

Thanks for any responses I get.

Me

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hello me...
hope you have your hard hat on!!

Im not out there yet, but there are quite a few posters who have just gone out and are having a ball!!!! You just have to trawl through the posts...
The only suggestions I can make for you to survive this place is to read all the posts and glean info from what everyone says. some are negative but if you read between the lines you can gain something....eg - something I have picked up on and not really thought about previously; sit down and discuss ALL eventualities with your partner and what you will do if they happen. From others experiences, you need a rock solid relationship to survive the stress, and if you get out there and one of you doesnt like it, what will you do? one come home? all come home? just an example, but try and turn what you see as negative to your advantage and get soemthing out of it.
Even if its just a mental not that so-and-so is a whinger!!!!!!!!

good luck....

sue
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Move To Australia

Originally posted by Me_not_You
Hi,

I am just starting the process of getting a visa, and luckily found this website which is useful and answers questions I didn't know I had.

However, I am getting more and more concerned that the majority of posts by people already in Australia are very negative. There are a lot of complaints about things like:
1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
3. ALL areas - I've never seen anyone recommend an area that can be afforded by a non-millionaire
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Is there anybody already migrated to Australia, been there for more than a month, and actually likes it? I would love to hear what people genuinely like about Oz, what is great, what is better than they expected etc.

I presume all the people who constantly moan about everything Australian are planning to return to the UK?

Me
Me (actually, you! ) , there are heaps, this same subject seems to come up every week or even more often. Yes there are plenty of people who like it here. And yes, there are some who dont & are planning on returning to the UK.

Just one other point, just because someone complains about something like banks, doesnt mean that they hate it here, does it?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 9:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Me
If houses are expensive, jobs hard to find ,wages are low etc.
Don't you think it better to know what you are letting yourself in for?

These posts are not negatives they are some people's realities.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:02 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Me
hi there me not you
i am very pro oz but like to find out as much as poss (possy and negative) hence posting this link http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=209743
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

its not all great in australia its been a hard 4 months finding work that isnt casual
getting my electrical licence is still an on going process
working a crap job to make ends meat

but today i went diving saw loads of fish crays and loads of swim throughs
then went to the Aquarium
then went for a walk on the beach
came home and shoot some pool
jumped in the pool for a cooing off
and a barbie for dinner

so i may be no better off money wise and doing rubish jobs

i like my life here in WA
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

1. Banks
Just as bad as British ones.

2. Creepy crawlies
Doesn't this depend where? In Perth there didn't seem to be anything dodgy; but perhaps I just missed them.

Perth houses were dirt cheap in comparison to UK houses. I thought *everything* was cheap in comparison to UK houses though!

4. High tax
No.

5. Lack of jobs
No.

6. Expensive travel
No.

7. GST
VAT. Where's the difference?

8. Possums
Never saw one.

9. Snakes
Never saw one.

10. Heat / humidity
Plenty of heat thank god. Never wore anything heavier than a light coat for 4 years and returned to miserable drizzle.

12. Medicare
Didn't bother us.

13. Dentist's charges
And they don't charge in the UK???

14. Lack of BRITISH food
Thankfully, yes. Instead we had Italian, Greek, Indonesian, Chinese, Spanish...

Talk about whingeing poms; it's a different country and things are different - often better IMHO.

If people want VAT, miserable weather, expensive housing and dreary streets they should stay in the UK!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Me
Hi ME although I'm returning Ilove it here but I'll try to answer your questions Fairly.

1.charges for everything(same as U.K.)
2.I kill at least 6 redbacks a day but I work removals so go into dirty dark sheds etc.they are always running away from me.
3.Depends on how close to the ocean and city you want to be.
4.Can be but you can claim it back every year with the help of a good tax accountant,can be quite lucrative by all accounts.Keep all reciepts for schools etc.
5.Depends on job and age,just read other recent postings.I'm unskilled so came here with no illusions was prepared to do anything,got a job within 3weeks of landing.
6.yes.
7.Yes again but at 10% it's better than 17.5%vat.
8.Never seen one except in cage and that was asleep.(podgypossum is a regular poster though
)
9.only seen 1 dead one.road casualty.
10.Can be difficult to cope with but helps with aircon and lots of fluids.
11.can't comment as were Perth.
12.cant comment haven't been ill.
13.as above.
14.you can get it but expensive.So many nationalities here that the choice of foods is excellent INMHO.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:27 am
Go Banana's !!

Hi,

1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
4. High tax
5. Lack of jobs
6. Expensive travel
7. GST
8. Possums
9. Snakes
10. Heat / humidity
11. Rain (Melbourne)
12. Medicare
13. Dentist's charges
14. Lack of BRITISH food

Me
I felt exactly the same when my darling husband introduced me to the wonders ? of this site.

But - it has really helped me realise, that there will be good times, there will be bad times, just life really.

My rosies were removed , but that's no bad thing. I would have been in for one hell of a shock if I thought I was moving to paradise. It's a huge, huge, HUGH thing we are all doing and thinking it will be all wonderful is just unrealistic.

Grayling is right - you do need to know what you are letting yourself in for - it's not negativity.

I find this website very helpful, 'cos don't forget you can learn from others mistakes and boy I'm sure we are in for a few along the way !!

Don't be put off coming on this site , like I was for a while, I just realised I needed to grow up a bit and give and take from it what you will. There's some threads on here I'll never forget

Best of luck

Jill and Warren
Perth 2004

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1. Banks
Yes, they have more charges, so you re-jig your finances to avoid the charges

2. Creepy crawlies
God save me from the pigging cockroaches, but other than that, not seen much yet

No chance of me ever being a millionaire but we have a good 2 bed unit, with a garage and a garden; back in Brighton I couldn't afford a bedsit

4. High tax
I get a higher percentage of my wages in my pocket here than I did back there.

5. Lack of jobs
Got my first job (temporary) in 3 weeks, by the time I'd been here 6 weeks I had a permanent one, with excellent pay and conditions.
6. Expensive travel
Guess I'll have to shop around for my trips to the UK.

7. GST
GST 10%, VAT 17.5%

8. Possums
Only know one, and she posts on here

9. Snakes
Not seen any yet, except my furry one called Trouser

10. Heat / humidity
Over 40% here today, not too humid till it started thundering just now. Won't last, be bearable again by the end of the week I guess.

11. Rain (Melbourne)
Didn't rain while I was there - p***ing down in Brissie though!

12. Medicare
Was given a card the first week I was here, haven't needed it yet & will try not to use it - more scared of doctors than of any fees.

13. Dentist's charges
Whats a dentist??? No NHS ones in Brighton for as long as I can remember so i haven't been for yeeeears.

14. Lack of BRITISH food
As the "typical British dish" is now curry, I am incredibly relieved to find a shortage of British food!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:37 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

good posts guys.......!

sue
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:44 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

4. High tax
6. Expensive travel
7. GST

Me
I have no problem with people voicing negative opinions about Oz, after all this forum is all about giving our own opinions, offering advice and sharing experiences. A balanced view is vital if we are to get anything out of this site.

As for the above points I've picked out - I don't really think these are negative points in comparison to Britain anyway. I live in Kent where the average age of the first time homebuyer is now well into the thirties. From my time in Oz property is a lot more affordable and more open to people on lower incomes than here. The cost of public transport is at least twice as expensive in Kent than in Adelaide (where I lived for several months). Yes, income tax is higher in Oz but when you take into consideration every other form of tax (council tax is a great example) I doubt there's much difference. GST is 7.5% lower in Oz.

And most importantly of course as I've said a few times before - It's not where you are it's where you're at. The streets of Australia are not paved with gold but if you make the big decision to emigrate then it's up to you to get the most out of it!!

:lecture:
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

1. Banks
2. Creepy crawlies
3. ALL areas - I've never seen anyone recommend an area that can be afforded by a non-millionaire...
At the risk of being off the subject, I doubt if any of the examples you quote are the main reasons (except jobs - it depends on your line of work) people want to return to the UK. The examples that you list are just further niggles.

Let me ask you a question: if UK had a better climate, fewer people, more informality and better beaches, would you still want to go to Oz?

If you answer "yes", I think you'll be disappointed with Oz, because it has all the same major problems as most developed countries including UK, ie relatively high cost housing and living compared with wages, crime, drugs etc. And given what happened in Bali recently, with Australians cited as deliberate bomb targets, don't consider it safe from terrorism.

With Oz you can add remoteness - from your family, other major Oz cities and countries. Say you live in Sydney, aside from NZ, the next country is ~8 hours flying away. Or Perth, it is is one of the most isolated cities in the world.

And remember as an immigrant, you will always be somewhat of an outsider....
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:49 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by MikeStanton

And remember as an immigrant, you will always be somewhat of an outsider....
Not in Brisbane by the look of things. Seems to be packed with migrating Poms!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

OMG!!!!!!

the amount of flack and abuse i have taken on this forum for being chuffed ot bits with Oz and all that goes with it and now someone comes on and says theres no positive posters???!!!...

Geeez...i give up!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.