Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why isn't England Enough

Why isn't England Enough

Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:03 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why isn't England Enough

what Oz has that England does'nt have is a much better climate, thousands of miles of great beaches, 30 times larger then the UK with far less people which means less crowds and conjestion, except maybe if you live in Sydney or Melbourne.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
what Oz has that England does'nt have is a much better climate, thousands of miles of great beaches, 30 times larger then the UK with far less people which means less crowds and conjestion, except maybe if you live in Sydney or Melbourne.
I think it also depends on what stage of your life you are in. We came over at a natural decision point as an unmarried professional couple. We did the whole marriage-family-subsidised house thing over here and we've set up well.

We'll reap the benefits later on in 10 years - well we're reaping them already - many of our peers in aussie and the UK are compromising to get somewhere in 10 years, where we are now - 10 years is a long time when you are raising a young family.

I agree with Mr Eagle - status quo vs risk - often status quo is the way.

badge
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by acbh2
my 3 year old is still excited about going to disney in December for her 4th birthday have explained we are not going but hopefully going to Australia blah blah blah but she still tells me each day how excited she is to go to disney world I feel totally bad as up until a few months back we got excited everyday together she said today she doesn't want to go to Oz, oh to be 3.
A
xx
A

Take her to disneyland Paris before you go. Or, you could go via the US and take her to disney in California - worth considering.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 8:59 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig822
A

Take her to disneyland Paris before you go. Or, you could go via the US and take her to disney in California - worth considering.
california could be a way to go, forgot you could go to Oz via LA thanks for that Craig
A
xx
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

my 3 year old is still excited about going to disney in December for her 4th birthday have explained we are not going but hopefully going to Australia blah blah blah but she still tells me each day how excited she is to go to disney world I feel totally bad as up until a few months back we got excited everyday together she said today she doesn't want to go to Oz, oh to be 3.
A
xx

Try going to eurodisney in september, we went last year when my daughter was 3 1/2 and it was great and quite cheap with deals. no Queues either, might as well do it now cos once you get to Oz it will be very dear to go.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:19 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Try going to eurodisney in september, we went last year when my daughter was 3 1/2 and it was great and quite cheap with deals. no Queues either, might as well do it now cos once you get to Oz it will be very dear to go.
this could also be an option and is probaly quite a good one at 3.5 she won't notice
A
xx
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

My child keeps asking when she can go again, so we have to tell her , when all the other kids have been. Don't think it'll be this easy to answer when they get older!!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by caleb2003
My child keeps asking when she can go again, so we have to tell her , when all the other kids have been. Don't think it'll be this easy to answer when they get older!!
Don't you just love em at this age Have a 9 yr old not so easy to put off
A
xx
Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by curbo
Your thoughts on our situation would be appreciated:

Having visited Sydney in 2000 and obtain visas in 2002 we emigrated to Melbourne (after deciding Sydney would be to expensive) with our 4 children, my husband freaked after not settling and we returned after only a few weeks.
We now live in a beautiful part of the country Alderley Edge in a 4 bed detached home. The children are all doing well at school and are in good schools, hubby is self employed and we pay the bills and have some disposable income, and even have enough for family holidays abroad.
SO WHATS THE PROBLEM I HEAR YOU SAY!
well our visas expire June 18th 2007 and thoughts of trying OZ again are always in me head, so why is England not enough and the lure of a life in OZ seem so good.
Is anybody else in this situation and what have you done or are you going to do.
your thoughts would be welcomed!!!
You also need to be careful about moving to the other side of the world with an older teenager. Our 17 year old had just started A levels when we came out here - she stuck it out for six weeks before returning to England to be with her friends as she missed the social life of the UK. We have another daughter who is settled here so at the minute our family is split - and it hurts. From my experience it's far easier for everyone if you move children when they are younger. If I could turn back the clock and keep my family together I would.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kaiajo
You also need to be careful about moving to the other side of the world with an older teenager. Our 17 year old had just started A levels when we came out here - she stuck it out for six weeks before returning to England to be with her friends as she missed the social life of the UK. We have another daughter who is settled here so at the minute our family is split - and it hurts. From my experience it's far easier for everyone if you move children when they are younger. If I could turn back the clock and keep my family together I would.
That must be hard for you but at least you know she had the opportunity and can still join you if she wants, as long as she is happy thats what being a parent is all about putting our children first eh! I must admit this is one of the reasons we are hoping to go to Oz by next year for as our two will only be 10 and 4 and hopefully settle in well. Good luck for you and your family
A
xx
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

That must be hard for you but at least you know she had the opportunity and can still join you if she wants, as long as she is happy thats what being a parent is all about putting our children first eh! I must admit this is one of the reasons we are hoping to go to Oz by next year for as our two will only be 10 and 4 and hopefully settle in well. Good luck for you and your family
A
xx
A

Spooky, we're hoping to be there by Oct next year and ours will be 8 and 4. We're even starting to worry that our 8 year old will find it more difficult being 8 and not 5 or 6! We too want to get them settled sooner rather than later as I think that when they get into 'double digits' the harder it will be.

She's excited at the moment but we may have problems when she realises that she can't just go and see her Nan when she wants

Where are you headed? we're off to Perth.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by curbo
Your thoughts on our situation would be appreciated:

Having visited Sydney in 2000 and obtain visas in 2002 we emigrated to Melbourne (after deciding Sydney would be to expensive) with our 4 children, my husband freaked after not settling and we returned after only a few weeks.
We now live in a beautiful part of the country Alderley Edge in a 4 bed detached home. The children are all doing well at school and are in good schools, hubby is self employed and we pay the bills and have some disposable income, and even have enough for family holidays abroad.
SO WHATS THE PROBLEM I HEAR YOU SAY!
well our visas expire June 18th 2007 and thoughts of trying OZ again are always in me head, so why is England not enough and the lure of a life in OZ seem so good.
Is anybody else in this situation and what have you done or are you going to do.
your thoughts would be welcomed!!!
Why isn't England enough? good question. For me (having lived overseas for 10 out of the last 22 years), its simply too overcrowded. Of course there are many plus points and its can still be a nice place to live but I'm tired of being stuck in traffic when we need to go ANYWHERE. Used to be a time where if you left early or late then you'd beat the traffic - not any more.

I've also noticed a big increase in bad manners, poor driving, bad language etc. Before everyone in Oz starts screaming that 'we've got that here too ya know' - I realise that, but it isn't as noticeable as it is in England. The whole pace of life is just too rushed for me, even in mainland Europe its far more relaxed and people are just more considerate to each other.

All that said, I'll still miss the place - especially going to the footie
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig822
A

Spooky, we're hoping to be there by Oct next year and ours will be 8 and 4. We're even starting to worry that our 8 year old will find it more difficult being 8 and not 5 or 6! We too want to get them settled sooner rather than later as I think that when they get into 'double digits' the harder it will be.

She's excited at the moment but we may have problems when she realises that she can't just go and see her Nan when she wants

Where are you headed? we're off to Perth.
Hi Craig,
We want to head over to Brisbane not sure of exact place yet but been looking at Coomera as it seems within easy travel distance of Brissy CBD for hubby (accountant) and the GC for me lady of leisure (I wish). We are thinking sept/oct next year also. If we don't get our visas I think we will all be pretty devestated. Our eldest is excited as he just loves the outdoors and sports, think we will have same prob with grandparents as at the mo they just round the corner, they could afford to come and visit loads but MIL won't get on a plane so think my kids will miss em loads but what can you do? will buy them a webcam as a parting gift and let them pay for kids to fly back to UK every so often Do you have your visa yet? what type you applying for? (sorry you bored yet)
A
xx
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Craig,
We want to head over to Brisbane not sure of exact place yet but been looking at Coomera as it seems within easy travel distance of Brissy CBD for hubby (accountant) and the GC for me lady of leisure (I wish). We are thinking sept/oct next year also. If we don't get our visas I think we will all be pretty devestated. Our eldest is excited as he just loves the outdoors and sports, think we will have same prob with grandparents as at the mo they just round the corner, they could afford to come and visit loads but MIL won't get on a plane so think my kids will miss em loads but what can you do? will buy them a webcam as a parting gift and let them pay for kids to fly back to UK every so often Do you have your visa yet? what type you applying for? (sorry you bored yet)
A
xx

Aren't you supposed to be studying??????????
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bordy
Aren't you supposed to be studying??????????
yes! I now have 479 words though, so am having a bit of light relief on BE! (though don't tell hubby or he'll kill me ) the prob is I have to work on my pc so internet always open anyone fancy finishing my essay I'll shout you a beer
A
xx

PS. Did you not see my post from this morning I am officially addicted so it's really not my fault I keep coming back

Last edited by acbh2; Aug 19th 2006 at 2:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.