Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I would never use Pickfords again

Why I would never use Pickfords again

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:18 am

sewak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why I would never use Pickfords again

Pickfords were very impressive when they came to assess the packing and in packing the equipment.

However this efficiency is really "gloss" and not representative of the total service. My experience has been:

- I was told that if I took an entire container - it would be more secure - rather than stuff being loaded in vans from my house - the container would be parked outside - it would be filled - and sealed and that the next time I would see the container - it would be outside my house. Reality was they did seal the container in my presence but I have no idea why they bothered - the container that turned up at my house was different from the one that left the UK. In the process they managed to lose 3 cartons. The worst thing is that on the inventory form, the carton is listed as having arrived in Melbourne but they have lost it and did not seem to bothered in finding it. I have now lost an entire carton of photo. I made the mistake of keeping the negatives with the photos so now I have lost the lot. Pickfords response is claim on your insurance - but you can never recover the value of lost memories.

Then there is the issue of their insurance - they helped me fill in the form. As soon as I put the tv on, i I realised that the tv colour had gone fuzzy - I was advised to get a repair quote ( which cost $100 call out fee) and that it would be covered. They then claimed that the tv damage was due to "derangement" - I term I have never heard of until they mentioned it. Hence they claim the tv is not covered - so I am unable to claim the call fee as well - even though they promised they would cover the cost of getting estimates. I have been left with no choice but to complain to the insurance ombudsman in UK.

I would exercise great caution in using Pickfords and be very careful of the small print in their insurance contract. For me, I will never use them again
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why I would never use Pickfords again

Originally Posted by sewak
Pickfords were very impressive when they came to assess the packing and in packing the equipment.

However this efficiency is really "gloss" and not representative of the total service.
sewak

Have you written to Pickfords to make a formal complaint?

I had 3 quotes for my shipping and Pickfords were the only one to say I needed a sole continer even though the inventory list was the same as the other two quotes! The other two quoted capacity and advised a part container would be sufficient.

I know talking to the various companies they all know about this forum and are not keen to have their names on here in a negative way. If you haven't already sent a formal letter, try it and see wahat happens.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:03 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

well you're not alone. We didn't use Pickford's but I've come to the conclusion that all those companies are the same. The one we used said they would send 4 men over 2 days. The stuff would be packed and loaded into the container thingy and then locked and not opened again until Melbourne. Also that we would have an inventory before our stuff left the house.

In reality 2 men were sent and they said they only had a day. This meant that half our stuff wasn't packed but they started loading it into the van anyway. As for the inventory they said that would follow. My husband was particularly concerned about his double extension ladder. No problem he was told. It won't get lost...or stolen.

We waited four weeks to receive the inventory that was wrong. Loads of stuff missing from there (yes the ladder included) and arrogance from the other end of the line when we tried to sort it out. Assured everything would work out but imagine our surprise when our goods arrived here and there was still no ladder!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Why I would never use Pickfords again

Hear Hear - I won't use Pickfords again either - after spending 5.5K on a 40 ft container, my stuff was so badly labelled that it took me weeks to find anything - they bubbled wrapped things like plastic spatulas and staplers and then put a ceramic pot in a box and put roller blades inside it!! My son took off his trainers in his bedroom and five minutes later they disappeared! Iasked the guy three times had he packed them and he said "No". Lo and behold on arrival in Sydney there were his trainers. They even packed my purse - how ddumb is that! I used to work in the international removal business some 15 years ago and Pickfords used to be top of the tree back then - it looks like they have bombed right to the bottom of the pile now. I had a quote for three days packing from 9am to 9pm, in reality they did not stay later than 2:30pm!!

I must say that this end in Australia they are much more efficient and polite, although the calling out of numbers on the inventory was too quick and I am sure I am missing a couple of boxes, but as I brought ALL my stuff I have yet to figure out what!!

All in all not much broken, but some intelligence amongst the workforce wouldn't go amiss!!

Melanie
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:05 am

I did contact their teams both here in Melbourne and UK and they seem to be passing the buck between the two. They are casually saying we have tried finding your stuff but its not here - so make a claim. They miss the point that they seem to have been responsible for losing it in the first place.
Originally Posted by Stewie
sewak

Have you written to Pickfords to make a formal complaint?

I had 3 quotes for my shipping and Pickfords were the only one to say I needed a sole continer even though the inventory list was the same as the other two quotes! The other two quoted capacity and advised a part container would be sufficient.

I know talking to the various companies they all know about this forum and are not keen to have their names on here in a negative way. If you haven't already sent a formal letter, try it and see wahat happens.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:30 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I did contact their teams both here in Melbourne and UK and they seem to be passing the buck between the two. They are casually saying we have tried finding your stuff but its not here - so make a claim. They miss the point that they seem to have been responsible for losing it in the first place.
Yes, this blaming other teams/departments within their own organisation seems endemic and is a major part of the customer service problem with these firms. There's too much infighting & passing the buck, & not enough effort devoted to looking after the people who pay their wages!

We used Crown and would *not* do so again. Even the so-called 'BE Forum Fave Pick' aren't perfect by any means.

Anya.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:41 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I am just about to pick up the phone to ring Pickfords in Sydney yet again, to find out what - if any - progress they have made towards finding our missing boxes. I have found the lack of customer service very frustating, trying to get them to do their job (ie trace something that they have lost) is near on impossible.

And like you say, they really don't seem to care that they have provided a poor service (in my case, losing or breaking 10% of the shipped goods). We have had no apology from them, despite writing to the branch manager in Sydney. They just 'noted' our letter regarding the damage to our goods during transit - they were the ones who damaged the goods!

We took out insurance through a broker, I think I'm glad we didn't use Pickford's own (I think - have yet to get the money through yet!)

One of our boxes contains documents to prove our de facto relationship - which we will need when we apply for permanent residency (on a 457 visa now). But what do Pickfords care?!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:09 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Why I would never use Pickfords again

[said "No". Lo and behold on arrival in Sydney there were his trainers. They even packed my purse - how ddumb is that! I used to work in the international removal business some 15 years ago and Pickfords used to be I
!!

Melanie[/QUOTE] Proabably as dumb , as some one who would leave, her purse/ shoes were they could be packed. YOU having been in the industry should have been more prepared. .............. mm
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 5:51 am

I have to say that I am not surprised that there are more than just me who received apalling service from Pickfords - I am using this forum as a warning to potential customers of Pickfords to be careful.

I guess since they do not care about losing things, and are "blaming internal departments" for the loss - and not willing to pay for damage they have done - the only way to get back at them is to constantly remind future customers about what to expect.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:14 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yes, this blaming other teams/departments within their own organisation seems endemic and is a major part of the customer service problem with these firms. There's too much infighting & passing the buck, & not enough effort devoted to looking after the people who pay their wages!

We used Crown and would *not* do so again. Even the so-called 'BE Forum Fave Pick' aren't perfect by any means.

Anya.
Anya

What was your experience with Crown? WE have met with Pickfors, PSS & Crown & by far get the best "vibe" from Crown.....
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:21 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Anya

What was your experience with Crown? WE have met with Pickfors, PSS & Crown & by far get the best "vibe" from Crown.....
I'll PM you.

A.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:22 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I'll PM you.

A.
Ok Anya.

I will read it when I get to work in about sn hour.

C
x
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chels
I am just about to pick up the phone to ring Pickfords in Sydney yet again, to find out what - if any - progress they have made towards finding our missing boxes. I have found the lack of customer service very frustating, trying to get them to do their job (ie trace something that they have lost) is near on impossible.

And like you say, they really don't seem to care that they have provided a poor service (in my case, losing or breaking 10% of the shipped goods). We have had no apology from them, despite writing to the branch manager in Sydney. They just 'noted' our letter regarding the damage to our goods during transit - they were the ones who damaged the goods!

We took out insurance through a broker, I think I'm glad we didn't use Pickford's own (I think - have yet to get the money through yet!)

One of our boxes contains documents to prove our de facto relationship - which we will need when we apply for permanent residency (on a 457 visa now). But what do Pickfords care?!
Hi, just looking thru shipping thread and I see you used your own insurance broker - did they come up trumps in the end and would you recommend them? If so, who are they, Thanks michelle.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:49 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

However this efficiency is really "gloss" and not representative of the total service. My experience has been:

- I was told that if I took an entire container - it would be more secure - rather than stuff being loaded in vans from my house - the container would be parked outside - it would be filled - and sealed and that the next time I would see the container - it would be outside my house. Reality was they did seal the container in my presence but I have no idea why they bothered - the container that turned up at my house was different from the one that left the UK. In the process they managed to lose 3 cartons. The worst thing is that on the inventory form, the carton is listed as having arrived in Melbourne but they have lost it and did not seem to bothered in finding it. I have now lost an entire carton of photo. I made the mistake of keeping the negatives with the photos so now I have lost the lot. Pickfords response is claim on your insurance - but you can never recover the value of lost memories.

Then there is the issue of their insurance - they helped me fill in the form. As soon as I put the tv on, i I realised that the tv colour had gone fuzzy - I was advised to get a repair quote ( which cost $100 call out fee) and that it would be covered. They then claimed that the tv damage was due to "derangement" - I term I have never heard of until they mentioned it. Hence they claim the tv is not covered - so I am unable to claim the call fee as well - even though they promised they would cover the cost of getting estimates. I have been left with no choice but to complain to the insurance ombudsman in UK.

I would exercise great caution in using Pickfords and be very careful of the small print in their insurance contract. For me, I will never use them again
well this answers my earlier thread on what to do with photos in case boxes go missing
Old Sep 20th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

I know this thead is about dead, but in fairness to all the shippers, they told me, Crown Pickfords and 2 others that Australia do something nowhere else does. The AQUIS and or customs make the shipper unpack the container onto pallets. Then the inventory is checked and boxes selected for inspection. So the seal must be broken. it is then all repacked again into a truck or a container for removal to a storage area. This is where some breakages happen. I was disappointed as well because we were told that using an international company with offices here we would be unpacked by Crown. It turns out that they just use a local bunch to deliver, after railing the container to the place we were. Our stuff was packed immaculately ( We watched the process), but repacked not so great. Customs wanted to see inside a cabinet and we were emailed to find the key location. As per their manifest it was taped to the cabinet. it was searched relocked and we never saw the key again. Some minor damage but no major costs. Aslo apparently if the ship your container is on sinks, maritime law says you as a custmer must share the cost of recovering the ship and goods. this is how we were conned ito paying a crazy insurance cost. Better to bite the bullet and insure just for total loss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.