Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I love ausie houses!

Why I love ausie houses!

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:09 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why I love ausie houses!

Yes I know its all been said before but we've moved into our rental house today which is a huge relief after 2 months at parents/in hotel/at temp house/ at parents again. So all 9 suitcases are finaly unpacked and though we'll only be here for 6/12 months it feels great!

The best things about this house compared to my uk house (which was of a similar value):
1. I have a walk-in wardrobe the size of my 3rd bedroom in uk.
2. 2 bathrooms mean I dont have to cross my legs if I find a large spider in one.
3. The laundry room is large enough to hide my humungous ironing pile and so its not visible and looking at me reproachfully.
4. The fact that we have no furniture is not a huge crisis as there are built in wardrobes and cupboards everywhere.
5. I dont have to get out of my car to get into the garage thanks to lovely remote thingy, and the 2 car garage is actually big enough for 2 cars.
6. We have more rooms than we know what to do with, no multi purpose dining room/playroom/study here!!!
7. No horrid previous owners decorating disasters to deal with.

Sure there are a few more but I'm off to walk round it again
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Michaela, I'll be down to visit later on in the week .

BTW, did you need any furniture short term?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:16 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why I love ausie houses!

Originally posted by mcmercer
Yes I know its all been said before but we've moved into our rental house today which is a huge relief after 2 months at parents/in hotel/at temp house/ at parents again. So all 9 suitcases are finaly unpacked and though we'll only be here for 6/12 months it feels great!

The best things about this house compared to my uk house (which was of a similar value):
2. 2 bathrooms mean I dont have to cross my legs if I find a large spider in one.
3. The laundry room is large enough to hide my humungous ironing pile and so its not visible and looking at me reproachfully.
4. The fact that we have no furniture is not a huge crisis as there are built in wardrobes and cupboards everywhere.
5. I dont have to get out of my car to get into the garage thanks to lovely remote thingy, and the 2 car garage is actually big enough for 2 cars.
6. We have more rooms than we know what to do with, no multi purpose dining room/playroom/study here!!!

Sounds wonderful Where in Brisbane are you? I think thats where we will be heading in June/July...we are looking for info on the best places to go
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Yes, come round, you know where we are !
We're ok for furniture thanks, its all on order and arriving this week, though if anythings delayed I might give you a shout, thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by biggy
Sounds wonderful Where in Brisbane are you? I think thats where we will be heading in June/July...we are looking for info on the best places to go
Hiya biggy,
We're in Wellington point and its great. One thing I forgot from my list is that if I walk out of the house I'm at the sea in about 7minutes
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, come round, you know where we are !
We're ok for furniture thanks, its all on order and arriving this week, though if anythings delayed I might give you a shout, thanks
Actually I have no clue now, I think you told me the street name but I have even forgotten that! LOL

I'll give you a call tomorrow or Friday anyway
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:21 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya biggy,
We're in Wellington point and its great. One thing I forgot from my list is that if I walk out of the house I'm at the sea in about 7minutes
ty for that

I will have a look on the net and see what i can find....we are getting all excited now...just need to wait for our house to sell then we r off wooo hooooo
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - this sounds just like our rental house in Melbourne...bigger than we knew what to do with! Now we are back in UK you won't believe how much stuff we had to put into storage. And we have no laundry room, ironing board is on the landing, no room in the kitchen for a dishwasher, tumble dryer is under the desk in the study, and we just had to buy a bigger shed to compensate that we've gone from double garage (ooh, with remote door too) to no garage!!!

The good side....less cleaning required

Glad you are enjoying it!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:45 am
Badge

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

The good side....less cleaning required
I get the broom out and have a sweep of the floors twice a week. I sweep it all out the back door in to the yard. I polish the wood once a week. One of the bedrooms I don't use so I have put 'police line do not cross' tape over the door. If I don't go in and get it dirty, then I won't have to clean it. There are parts of the lounge room I rarely visit, so don't have to clean them either. Even discovered the garage the other day - had a look inside. Don't normally use.

Joking aside, I'm alot more 'houseproud' now I have a house. Less sense of being in a block that you happen to live in.

TOP TIP. Clean from ceiling to floor. The dust unsettled goes down and is then mopped up at the end.

The other thing about aussie houses is that they don't clutter up the landscape. Clean, colourful, lower etc. Whereas in the UK there is nothing worse than dirty 1930s jerry built higgepiggly long line of terraces, even in a nice street. Even 1930 semis look awful in comparison. Look so old fashioned.

I like Georgian though.

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 23rd 2004 at 12:00 pm.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
If I don't go in and get it dirty, then I won't have to clean it. There are parts of the lounge room I rarely visit, so don't have to clean them either. Even discovered the garage the other day - had a look inside. Don't normally use.
Ohh, never mind the 'police line' - you wait till the dust storms come....there'll be dust coming through crevices you never knew you had (ooeer!)

Do you think your house visitors ever wonder if there's been a terrible crime at your pad when they see the 'police line - do not cross' tape? Like, "where's Mrs Badgers?", for instance!??
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I get the broom out and have a sweep of the floors twice a week. I sweep it all out the back door in to the yard. I polish the wood once a week. One of the bedrooms I don't use so I have put 'police line do not cross' tape over the door. If I don't go in and get it dirty, then I won't have to clean it. There are parts of the lounge room I rarely visit, so don't have to clean them either. Even discovered the garage the other day - had a look inside. Don't normally use.

Joking aside, I'm alot more 'houseproud' now I have a house. Less sense of being in a block that you happen to live in.

TOP TIP. Clean from ceiling to floor. The dust unsettled goes down and is then mopped up at the end.

The other thing about aussie houses is that they don't clutter up the landscape. Clean, colourful, lower etc. Whereas in the UK there is nothing worse than dirty 1930s jerry built higgepiggly long line of terraces, even in a nice street. Even 1930 semis look awful in comparison. Look so old fashioned.

I like Georgian though.

Badge
Nah, just leave it long enough and the cleaning fairy does it. I think she's related to the cooking fairy and he washing fairy
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:15 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Nibbs
Nah, just leave it long enough and the cleaning fairy does it. I think she's related to the cooking fairy and he washing fairy
I wish the cleaning fairy was like the tooth fairy; only took just the 10pence. Or has inflation turned this in to a pound coin now?

Badge

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I wish the cleaning fairy was like the tooth fairy; only took just the 10pence. Or has inflation turned this in to a pound coin now?

Badge

Dunno Badge but H just read over my shoulder so it'll be a pound of flesh from now on.

Don't know why I veer let her start wearing shoes (shamelessly ripped off from JD's thread on Take It Outside)
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:18 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your enjoying it. We've got the same laundry room! I bet my ironing pile's bigger than yours!

Jane
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:31 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

YESYES YESYES...and more YESYES

I love Aussie big houses, I had a big house in the UK, and had a big rental and an even bigger one I bought.

Why I like mine

1) room to have mates round..........
2) room to have mates round........
3) room to have family stay
4) room for our pool table
5) room to avoid stroppy kids.........!
6............6/5 months a year this is great
7...bloody big to heat/so we don't
we buy big blankets and heat the upstairs lounge only

alright before you all accuse me of being negative.......there are +ve and -ve

can we have the same conversatation on here in July?

Cheers Sand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.