Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the hell did we move back to Uk again?

Why the hell did we move back to Uk again?

Old Mar 9th 2003, 12:22 am
qet
Just Joined

qet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why the hell did we move back to Uk again?

Originally posted by mx5rabbitohs
On The other hand

I can't understand the appeal of the UK - cold wet - the first thing I noticed when I came back from Aus ... You have to be confident, strong, but not "UP YOURSELF", and you have to like people. That's the advice I would give all English people. If you can't be like that you will not get on and you will be considered - a POM(!)

Mike

Wise words from mx5.

More people should have this attitude.
It seems that people move to Oz from the UK and expect it to be the UK but with something special on top.
You can't compare the two, Australia is what it is, as is the UK.
Happiness is where you find it.

Sean.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 4:07 am
Banned

Thylacoleo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why the hell did we move back to Uk again?

Originally posted by mx5rabbitohs
I noticed when I came back from Aus after a year
WAS HOW MISERABLE everyone looked. People literally looked like they were going to a funeral...

...I wouldn't have even considered migrating 5 years ago...

Mike
Fascinating Mike.

I'd appreciate it, at the risk of becoming personal, if you could try to put your finger on what you think has happened to your England of 5 years ago.

Which is the more changed, you or England? Perhaps you were an Aussie waiting to happen?

P.S. You haven't been bitten by a Calici infected rodent have you? Or mauled by Bulldogs?

Last edited by Thylacoleo; Mar 9th 2003 at 4:46 am.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:04 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the main thrust of the initial post was that if you need to be with your relatives then that is where you should live; near them. It would be an interesting social experiment to move a whole extended family from the UK to OZ and then see the reasons (if any) for moving back. The stuff about entertainment etc is just bunk.

The support of the extended family is what brings most people through the downs in life. If you have no extended family and rely on yourself to get through life's tough times I wonder if any move would be more successful?

My personal observations are that the UK has some major structural, and social issues. These come mostly from population pressure. I see the UK now and see Australia in 10 years. These issues are not unique to any part of the world, they are basic.

Population pressure brings environmental and social problems. Pressure is brought to bear on supporting infrastruture. If these systems are not adequately supported then they will begin to fail. Failure of systems can lead to all manner of serious issues.

Increased crime
Drug abuse
Breakdown of family units
Major pollution
Inadequate transport

These problems can occur anywhere. Australia is not immune nor is the UK, Canada, USA, NZ or a host of other countries.

It is quite understandable to want to immigrate to get away from the failure of Government to support its citizenship. However there is really nowhere any different in this respect, Government worldwide is inept and corrupt.

Some of the things however that are different include the climate, social structure, employment options and all the little intangibles that make a country what it is. If you are willing to embrace and value these differences then you will enjoy moving to a new country. If you aren't then don't bother.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 5:26 am
Banned

Florida_03,

I wonder sometimes if "population pressure" is not a rate of change of population thing rather than related to actual numbers of people.

I have seen Aus go from 8M to 20M in 50 years and find it mildly disturbing.

I have seen densely populated and poor parts of India where people seem no more ill at ease than else where.

In other words, people and society adjust?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:29 am
Not here

It is really at the local level. Although the population in Australia went from 8M to 20M, where was the main region for that change?

I don't thing regional Australia saw much of that growth. The pressure on distinct regions is real and immediate and only Government can help people and society to adjust.

I think if you were a long term resident of Cabramatta in Sydney you would have been more than mildly disturbed. The whole of Sydney is under enormous pressure from the shear number of those choosing to live there. Yes rate of change is an effect but with proper Government support that should not be a problem. The real issues are with the total number and without funded support you have the most impact. This is basic; adequate sewerage treatment, water supply, transport management etc.

As for those content with their lot, mostly they have no choice and at such may not be ill at ease (what would be the point). How was their health, education, employment, what has been the impact on their environment, water, food? They may be better off given the opportunity. You may wish to see how busy the US embassies are in New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
It is really at the local level. Although the population in Australia went from 8M to 20M, where was the main region for that change?

I don't thing regional Australia saw much of that growth. The pressure on distinct regions is real and immediate and only Government can help people and society to adjust.

I think if you were a long term resident of Cabramatta in Sydney you would have been more than mildly disturbed. The whole of Sydney is under enormous pressure from the shear number of those choosing to live there. Yes rate of change is an effect but with proper Government support that should not be a problem. The real issues are with the total number and without funded support you have the most impact. This is basic; adequate sewerage treatment, water supply, transport management etc.

As for those content with their lot, mostly they have no choice and at such may not be ill at ease (what would be the point). How was their health, education, employment, what has been the impact on their environment, water, food? They may be better off given the opportunity. You may wish to see how busy the US embassies are in New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.
Good points. Premier of NSW Bob Carr has a had a tiff with the Commonwealth Govt. on this. See:
Carr's crush cure: cut immigration by a third

Do you have a specific interest in the Aus population topic (eg work)?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:10 am
Not here

Originally posted by Thylacoleo
Good points. Premier of NSW Bob Carr has a had a tiff with the Commonwealth Govt. on this. See:
Carr's crush cure: cut immigration by a third

Do you have a specific interest in the Aus population topic (eg work)?
Thanks for the story. I have no specific interest in the Aus population. I am however interested in why people feel the need to denigrate Australia (or any other counrty for that matter) when it does not meet their expections.

I was born in and have lived most of my life in Australia. It no longer meets my expectations but I don't feel the need to denigrate the culture, people or the country.

Politicians...well that's another matter...
Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the main thrust of the initial post was that if you need to be with your relatives then that is where you should live; near them. It would be an interesting social experiment to move a whole extended family from the UK to OZ and then see the reasons (if any) for moving back. The stuff about entertainment etc is just bunk.

The support of the extended family is what brings most people through the downs in life. If you have no extended family and rely on yourself to get through life's tough times I wonder if any move would be more successful?

My personal observations are that the UK has some major structural, and social issues. These come mostly from population pressure. I see the UK now and see Australia in 10 years. These issues are not unique to any part of the world, they are basic.

Population pressure brings environmental and social problems. Pressure is brought to bear on supporting infrastruture. If these systems are not adequately supported then they will begin to fail. Failure of systems can lead to all manner of serious issues.

Increased crime
Drug abuse
Breakdown of family units
Major pollution
Inadequate transport

These problems can occur anywhere. Australia is not immune nor is the UK, Canada, USA, NZ or a host of other countries.

It is quite understandable to want to immigrate to get away from the failure of Government to support its citizenship. However there is really nowhere any different in this respect, Government worldwide is inept and corrupt.

Some of the things however that are different include the climate, social structure, employment options and all the little intangibles that make a country what it is. If you are willing to embrace and value these differences then you will enjoy moving to a new country. If you aren't then don't bother.
Hmmm. Interesting you link population to increase in crime etc. In fact, the population in the UK has not significantly increased in 25 years. It is still around 60 million, it was 56 million in the 70s.

I think that the increase in unhappiness is based on a lot more than population. Like work ethics, consumerism, family breakdown due to the ease of travel, technology being misused, greed, having more - needing even more...the list goes on.

Useful statistic...the planet is capable of supporting twice the population but our use of the planet means that forests get destroyed, deserts form and it becomes unhabitable. Even Australia only uses 5% of it's land mass...

Food for thought (or not)?

SjS
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:24 pm
Not here

Originally posted by smiths2
Hmmm. Interesting you link population to increase in crime etc. In fact, the population in the UK has not significantly increased in 25 years. It is still around 60 million, it was 56 million in the 70s.

I think that the increase in unhappiness is based on a lot more than population. Like work ethics, consumerism, family breakdown due to the ease of travel, technology being misused, greed, having more - needing even more...the list goes on.

Useful statistic...the planet is capable of supporting twice the population but our use of the planet means that forests get destroyed, deserts form and it becomes unhabitable. Even Australia only uses 5% of it's land mass...

Food for thought (or not)?

SjS
I agree. The point I was trying to make is that unsupported population increase leads to problems. The planet will only be capable of supporting twice the population if Government provides the necessary funding and leadership, the scientists and other smart guys will work out the rest.

By the way has there been a major shift in population in the UK? I am wondering why there is relentless pressure from housing developments in certain areas?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:37 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by penzer
is it me or has this gone off the rails somewhere, good luck to those who tried and failed (or didnt like). lifes what you make it and if you want something bad enough youll get it. alot of people i talk to say they wished they made the move when they were my age (30ish)
i try to look at what my life will be like in 5 years time and cant see the light still living in uk.
"if you dont like it where you are then go somewhere else"
pb, why are you still in oz? any reason?

good site muppetking.

cheers
I will return in August by then the dogs will be okay to move with no problem , Australia is not a dream country were dreams come true its harder to make a living here than the UK because of distances and a small population plus their main market is Asia not a great place to do business .

Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:58 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I will return in August by then the dogs will be okay to move with no problem , Australia is not a dream country were dreams come true its harder to make a living here than the UK because of distances and a small population plus their main market is Asia not a great place to do business .

PB, I go back in 1 months time. I'll promise, if you do, to post your views of England, good or bad, once you are back. I'm never too proud to admit to a mistake and if the UK really is terrible for us, then I'll say so on here. Deal?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:07 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
PB, I go back in 1 months time. I'll promise, if you do, to post your views of England, good or bad, once you are back. I'm never too proud to admit to a mistake and if the UK really is terrible for us, then I'll say so on here. Deal?
Not a problem must say my one of main reasons is my Son is settling down now I do not wish to out of his life any more but I do think that my life has gone backwards here and am fed up making excusses for Australia just to be excepted as one of the boys.
My life was good in the UK and will make it so again , all my family live full and well rounded lifes none understood why I should want to immigrate and thought that I was mad , how right they were.
You are on I will give the UK a write up good or bad.

Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that unsupported population increase leads to problems. The planet will only be capable of supporting twice the population if Government provides the necessary funding and leadership, the scientists and other smart guys will work out the rest.

By the way has there been a major shift in population in the UK? I am wondering why there is relentless pressure from housing developments in certain areas?
Yes, there are increasing numbers of new developments. So much so that the existing housing in the cities is becoming derelict and unused. Plus as with Australia, cities in the UK had become overcrowded (no doubt aided by whole communities being lost in the 70s/80s, miners etc) and now they want to move to rural or suburbia. Problems don't go away, they just move.

As for scientists being smart guys, I think the two words are mutually exclusive (scientists and smart) as they do not consider the consequences of their actions when they invent something. Take the atomic bomb for instance.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 9:53 am
Not here

Originally posted by smiths2
Yes, there are increasing numbers of new developments. So much so that the existing housing in the cities is becoming derelict and unused. Plus as with Australia, cities in the UK had become overcrowded (no doubt aided by whole communities being lost in the 70s/80s, miners etc) and now they want to move to rural or suburbia. Problems don't go away, they just move.

As for scientists being smart guys, I think the two words are mutually exclusive (scientists and smart) as they do not consider the consequences of their actions when they invent something. Take the atomic bomb for instance.
I think that is a bit harsh. We really rely on the smart guys and that includes engineers and scientists. It is the wankers we elect as political representatives who stuff things up. Take the atomic bomb for instance.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think that is a bit harsh. We really rely on the smart guys and that includes engineers and scientists. It is the wankers we elect as political representatives who stuff things up. Take the atomic bomb for instance.
Yes, it may be harsh, but smart people (and not so smart) realise that discoveries are used by politicians. Not all of science is for the greater good and smart people should know that when they invent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.