Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the hassle of moving your life to another place?

Wikiposts

Why the hassle of moving your life to another place?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why the hassle of moving your life to another place?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A quote here that may bring you up to date....

They all seem to use oil these days It raises the question.... When were you last here ?
In quest of the gourmet chip
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

A quote here that may bring you up to date....

They all seem to use oil these days It raises the question.... When were you last here ?
"

2 years back and in my experience 50% of the Aussie chip shops fried their food in animal fat (I asked every one I went into)

I know the North of England still fries in lard, but down here in herts I have never eaten chips fries in anything other than veg oil.

Then again southern England is at least 20 years ahead of OZ, this is just another example of backwardness in Aus, no surprises then.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:03 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eatstatic
"

2 years back and in my experience 50% of the Aussie chip shops fried their food in animal fat (I asked every one I went into)

I know the North of England still fries in lard, but down here in herts I have never eaten chips fries in anything other than veg oil.

Then again southern England is at least 20 years ahead of OZ, this is just another example of backwardness in Aus, no surprises then.
Does that mean that Aus Chip-Eaters still have another good 20 years to look forward to before EatingStatic?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:05 pm
ABCDiamond

"

Very interesting

In your experience 50% of the Aussie chip shops fried their food in animal fat.
In your experience, you know the North of England still fries in lard.
The north of England has more chip shops than the south, (from my experience) so therefore about 50% of the UK chip shops probably fry their food in animal fat, also.

Not much difference then

Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting

In your experience 50% of the Aussie chip shops fried their food in animal fat.
In your experience, you know the North of England still fries in lard.
The north of England has more chip shops than the south, (from my experience) so therefore about 50% of the UK chip shops probably fry their food in animal fat, also.

Not much difference then
Without wanting to go down the road of the pedant, as Australians excel at that, this is what I found.

Aussie chip shops/burger bars/donut stalls etc usually fry in animal fat, even the vege burgers, logic! Most oven chips/hash browns/waffles found in supermarkets contain lard, even crisps (chips) contain meat/fish extracts and all yogurts contain gelatine.

Yes northern England may still use lard, but it is a practice long discarded by the south of the country. In oz lard is used all over the country and the general approach to vegetarian diets is awful, circa UK late 70's at best.

Cue the insults

Last edited by eatstatic; Jul 16th 2005 at 1:32 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:02 pm
Banned

Without wanting to go down the road of the pedant, as Australians excel at that, this is what I found.

Aussie chip shops/burger bars/donut stalls etc usually fry in animal fat, even the vege burgers, logic! Most oven chips/hash browns/waffles found in supermarkets contain lard, even crisps (chips) contain meat/fish extracts and all yogurts contain gelatine.

Yes northern England may still use lard, but it is a practice long discarded by the south of the country. In oz lard is used all over the country and the general approach to vegetarian diets is awful, circa UK late 70's at best.

Cue the insults
Yep, the apples and oranges are waxed with pig fat.

Can we take it then that your diet consisted entirely of the offerings of chip shops?

An unusual variation on the McDonalds Supersize Me - Morgan Enough diet. Seems to have similar outcomes.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Cue the insults
Must admit think Fish and Chips in Uk are very over rated wherever you get them from.

Roll on heathy food,
Old Jul 16th 2005, 3:34 pm
Badge

'Backwardness' discussions always gets a laugh from me. I find that if something is not done here it may be due in part to whim, habit and choice.

In the UK, most houses still have the washing machine in the kitchen - Australians and Americans find this backward and amusing.

Bugger me I have a mobile phone and a wireless broadband connection here. I must be at the cutting edge. Australians demanded mobile phones like in other countries and the uptake pushed the market.

Lots of Australians don't want double glazing - they cannot justify it - doesn't mean they are backward.

There are loads of countries in Latin America, Europe, Central America that are certainly behind Australia and they have bigger populations, bigger markets and are less isolated.

Badge

Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:25 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to see your back M.

Bet you didn't expect people to be sitting outside your cyberhouse chanting your name eh
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Also think it depends on what part of the country you are in as well. In some parts of the UK its hard to get a mobile signal in places, and some hotels don't even have an internet connection. I have even found some parts haven't also progressed in the last 20 years either.

Originally Posted by Badge
'Backwardness' discussions always gets a laugh from me. I find that if something is not done here it may be due in part to whim, habit and choice.

In the UK, most houses still have the washing machine in the kitchen - Australians and Americans find this backward and amusing.

Bugger me I have a mobile phone and a wireless broadband connection here. I must be at the cutting edge. Australians demanded mobile phones like in other countries and the uptake pushed the market.

Lots of Australians don't want double glazing - they cannot justify it - doesn't mean they are backward.

There are loads of countries in Latin America, Europe, Central America that are certainly behind Australia and they have bigger populations, bigger markets and are less isolated.

Badge
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I have even found some parts haven't also progressed in the last 20 years either.
So there are also some good parts there aswell then (totally tongue in cheek) (it all depends on ones perspectives)

Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:13 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Cue the insults
So why are fish and chip shops in London so cr*p?

The've got less choice than Hobson's and they'll only do mushy peas and beans in the microwave in cr*p plastic cups.

The first decent fish and chippy outside of London is Northampton, to the north or Cardiff, to the west.

A
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:59 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say I miss Scottish fish & chip shops - battered haggis, their own special chip shop brown sauce, deep fried pizza...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:08 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Cue the insults
I think you must have torn yourself a new arsehole, the amount of shite your talking.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:24 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
I think you must have torn yourself a new arsehole, the amount of shite your talking.
PMSL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.