Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why on earth would i want to leave the uk ?

Why on earth would i want to leave the uk ?

Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Why on earth would i want to leave the uk ?

We have sold our house and are now living in a caravan until our intended departure date of the 16th august.

There are 3 police cars driving around our campsite looking for a 9 year old boy that has been missing since this morning.

Our kids are heartbroken and adamant that they help look for him.

Since starting this post, ann-marie has just told me she too is going looking.

Tell me this...........................why the hell would ANY parent want to live in this country ?

Paul, going looking for a nine year old boy in a blackburn rovers top.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why on earth would i want to leave the uk ?

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
We have sold our house and are now living in a caravan until our intended departure date of the 16th august.

There are 3 police cars driving around our campsite looking for a 9 year old boy that has been missing since this morning.

Tell me this...........................why the hell would ANY parent want to live in this country ?

Unfortunately what you're describing Paul & Ann-Marie, can happen in any country....even Australia!!

I'm very happy in the UK. I'm not leaving the UK because of any problems here....I'm going to join my daughter in Aus.
However I do know what you mean...I do find myself criticising the UK when something annoys me on the news.

But we're gonna get that wherever we settle.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 3:57 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First of all I would just like to say that is truly awful. Hope they find this child.

However I do agree it can happen anywhere. Remember the dingo case in Australia few years back??

Walla
Old Jul 27th 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally posted by walla1
Hi

First of all I would just like to say that is truly awful. Hope they find this child.

However I do agree it can happen anywhere. Remember the dingo case in Australia few years back??

Walla
i quite agree walla. only back in may when i was in brisbane, there were posters of a little boy, i think he was 13 and called daniel. he was last spotted at a bus stop back in december. it was reported on the news a fair bit obviously and there were posters at service stations and tourist attractions etc. very sombering. for anyone in that area, have there been any other sightings or news re. him?
Old Jul 27th 2004, 4:28 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

The story of the lost boy in the Blackburn Rovers top is awful, and I am sure that everyone would wish the searchers well in finding him alive and healthy.

But, to be fair, this sort of thing could happen anywhere, as others have said above. There are evil adults and careless children in Australia, the same as in the UK.

Good luck with your big day ahead!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

This is very sad...but it's true, it's not only the UK.

Did you read about the little 9 year old girl who was set fire to in a Sydney park a two weeks ago..her clothes melted to her body...I read the story and cried my eyes out ('new mum' alert..but in all seriousness it must be devastating for all concerned). I can't uderstand why people want to play such evil games with other people's lives....so sad
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

If people are leaving UK because they think Australia will be safer. Think again . It has the same problems as UK with relation to crime. I remember talking to an Aussie Cop and he said they were powerless in stopping the kids roaming the streets (just like in UK) as these little sweethearts know their rights. The only difference between the two countreis is that it is bigger and less populated. I lived there for 12 years, and I wouldn't bring kids up there either, I prefer the Latin countries of Europe as they still have family value and the children are generally safer, especially away from the tourist areas.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

I hope they find this little boy soon, it's heartbreaking. As all the other replies have said it is no different in Australia I'm afraid. A teenage girl was recently murdered in Perth. She was British - her family had recently emigrated. My heart goes out to all the families. It is the most terrible thing to lose a child.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

This was quite a big story over in Queensland while I was over there, so it is not just this country as Stewie says it could anywhere.

Anyone know if they found this little boy? It really touched our hearts while we were over there

Daniel
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

the boy has been found, a mileand a half away sobbing his heart out.
he had gone with other kids from the site but didn't remember who they were ( or didn't want to grass on them).

Paul.

I have no doubt ( as previously stated many times ) that aus has it's problems, i just find that in the uk they are more compact and frequent, whether it be due to population etc. but certainly more frequent.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they find him safe & sound quickly. Thing is, my wife personally knows someone in Australia who's youngest son was raped & murdered. Bad things happen everywhere.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one good reason to stay in the UK: because narrow-minded people who choose one incident to stereotype life in the UK are leaving it.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:52 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Here's one good reason to stay in the UK: because narrow-minded people who choose one incident to stereotype life in the UK are leaving it.
Mike, how are you getting on with your new swan barbecue mates?

UK is going to the dawgs.
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Why did you choose to leave the UK originally if you don't mind me asking? I mean there must of been a time when you looked at australia in a different way to the way you do now?
Forum Regular

NZtoUK is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL Top reply!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.