Why don't they?

Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why don't they?

Originally Posted by fnord
I also stumbled over this.

And it looks like the author was a bit worried about the reaction to the web page as he had to add this disclaimer:

"The information on this page is published for historical and political reference only, intended for students, historians and those who seek the answer to a question posed more than a hundred years ago. It is a non-political and non-profit web page. It is NOT the author's intention to incite, promote or advocate a case for New Zealand statehood and should not be viewed as such."
Interesting article. This bit intrigued me:

"Originally having formed part of the New South Wales 'mother colony' since 1700, Tasmania (1825), South Australia (1836), Victoria (1851) and Queensland (1859), eventually broke away into smaller, self governing colonies as a result of increasing populations and the desire for local governance."

I was always led to believe that the First Fleet landed on 26th January 1788 (well Port Jackson then, landed 8 days earlier at Botany Bay but moved) - apparently the bi-centennial celebrations should have been held in 1900, 1 year before the Commonwealth of Australia was formed and not in 1988.

It is still intruiging to me that I wasn't aware of the NZ connection constitutionally despite having done Australian History at HSC (now VCE) and for 2 years at University.

Co-incidently the book I'm reading at the present time is about the voyages of Captain Cook (by Alan Villiers). I'll change the date of his first voyage from 1769/70 in the light of the above.

OzTennis
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fnord
I also stumbled over this.

And it looks like the author was a bit worried about the reaction to the web page as he had to add this disclaimer:

"The information on this page is published for historical and political reference only, intended for students, historians and those who seek the answer to a question posed more than a hundred years ago. It is a non-political and non-profit web page. It is NOT the author's intention to incite, promote or advocate a case for New Zealand statehood and should not be viewed as such."
The inclusion of NZ in the Australian constitution highlights that the Australian Constitution is not actually a legal document of Australia but is a legal document of the UK.

This produces a bit legal conundrum because Australia signed up to the League of Nations in 1920. The covenant of the League effectively annulled the laws of a previous colonial power and hence the Australian Constitution is (technically) not law in Australia.

Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Interesting article. This bit intrigued me:

"Originally having formed part of the New South Wales 'mother colony' since 1700, ...
Just a typo I reckon - 1700 looks like 1788. Hard to pick up in the proof reading.

Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It is still intruiging to me that I wasn't aware of the NZ connection constitutionally despite having done Australian History at HSC (now VCE) and for 2 years at University.
Considering that Australia apparently has no history that must have been the dossiest course going