British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why do you have to validate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-do-you-have-validate-295640/)

NKSK Apr 10th 2005 7:31 pm

Why do you have to validate?

Just trying to figure out the reason behind validation.

Why doesn't DMIA just grant the visa and give a 5 year window to migrate? What is the validation all about?

This is probably one for JAJ so I may bump this up later.

fraser Apr 10th 2005 7:37 pm

Re: Why do you have to validate?

Originally Posted by NKSK
Just trying to figure out the reason behind validation.

Why doesn't DMIA just grant the visa and give a 5 year window to migrate? What is the validation all about?

This is probably one for JAJ so I may bump this up later.

it's to do with your health and good character as these are only valid for a year

NKSK Apr 10th 2005 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
it's to do with your health and good character as these are only valid for a year

but you could vaildate, wait 4 years - meantime your health deteriorates and you commit armed robbery- and you still get in!!

JAJ Apr 10th 2005 7:53 pm

but you could vaildate, wait 4 years - meantime your health deteriorates and you commit armed robbery- and you still get in!!

Firstly - PR can be (and often is) cancelled for committing crimes after visa is granted.

However a decline in health does not cause visa cancellation.

The point about validation is that when you get a visa you are expected to use it before your health has a chance to decline. The fact it's possible to validate with a holiday and move later is more of an accident of the law rather than a deliberate policy decision.

Jeremy

jonni boy Apr 10th 2005 8:04 pm

[QUOTE=JAJ]Firstly - PR can be (and often is) cancelled for committing crimes after visa is granted.

The point about validation is that when you get a visa you are expected to use it before your health has a chance to decline. The fact it's possible to validate with a holiday and move later is more of an accident of the law rather than a deliberate policy decision.

yes and it's also a nice way of bringing extra money in as our visa trip with spending money cost about £8000 or $20,000 but don't get me wrong i still think this is a small price to pay to live in australia,we love the place

NKSK Apr 10th 2005 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Firstly - PR can be (and often is) cancelled for committing crimes after visa is granted.

Jeremy

But - I am somewhat reluctant to say this - you could commit a crime in your home country and the Australian government need never find out and....

isn't the 'accident' (of the law) negated somewhat by the fact that a 5 year window is given? Why not be really strict and give 3 years (or even 2) from the date of validation?

wmoore Apr 10th 2005 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jonni boy
yes and it's also a nice way of bringing extra money in as our visa trip with spending money cost about £8000 or $20,000 but don't get me wrong i still think this is a small price to pay to live in australia,we love the place

You must have gone 1st class / 5-star Jonni :D

jonni boy Apr 10th 2005 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
You must have gone 1st class / 5-star Jonni :D

no matey it's just an expensive thing to do with 3 ankle biters £6000 holiday & about £2000 spends :beer:

Boomie Apr 10th 2005 9:00 pm

We found this an issue having 5 kids 3 of which were adult fares.....hence i found the house selling far more stressful than the actual waiting for the visa to go through.....just because we didnt want to have to pay validation costs....return flights for us proved to be mega money along with the holiday package and the living costs at home whilst you are away....

Fortunately we sold our house in the August.....and we moved in with my mum until we were ready to go in october...so this wasn't an problem..... but fully sypathise with people who this affects. Timing plays a huge part in the process.... some people think that they are doing the right thing by completing their meds and PCC to push their application but don't put their house on the market - luck of the draw i'm afraid...whilst sum are left smilin others are left short on validation time.

love boomie
xx

jad n rich Apr 10th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boomie
We found this an issue having 5 kids 3 of which were adult fares.....hence i found the house selling far more stressful than the actual waiting for the visa to go through.....just because we didnt want to have to pay validation costs....return flights for us proved to be mega money along with the holiday package and the living costs at home whilst you are away....

love boomie
xx

Can I ask, how will this affect you if you ever want to visit family in the UK? We find it incredibly hard with 3 kids and we both work.

Boomie Apr 11th 2005 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Can I ask, how will this affect you if you ever want to visit family in the UK? We find it incredibly hard with 3 kids and we both work.

Andy's parents have passed away..... neather of us have brothers or sisters.....I have a mum who is 80 on friday....we hope she will visit us later in the year...

but getting to what you are askin..... we cant afford to pay for return flights (5adults and 2 children) for the sake of a short break back to the uk so we are banking on mum traveling to see us....but she is putting off a visit in hope that we will return home....Christmas was hard as i expect it was for most newbe expats....

love boomie
xx

JAJ Apr 15th 2005 7:37 pm

But - I am somewhat reluctant to say this - you could commit a crime in your home country and the Australian government need never find out and....

Be aware that new rules oblige applicants for citizenship who have spent more than 12 months overseas since grant of PR to provide new police checks. The citizenship application forms also ask about convictions, and if you lie and they subsequently find out, they can revoke Australian citizenship.

isn't the 'accident' (of the law) negated somewhat by the fact that a 5 year window is given? Why not be really strict and give 3 years (or even 2) from the date of validation?
It used to be a 3 year window, until around the mid 1990s.

Jeremy