Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do some settle better than others??

Why do some settle better than others??

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:53 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do some settle better than others??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hear hear. There are times when no amount of PMA helps. Circumstances of life can eventually drag you down no matter how positive you are, or how badly you want to love a place.
Isn't that more commonly known as PMS??
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

geordiekaz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shiels
Reccie visits have to be the best way to at least give you an idea whether you might like it or not.....that's why both yourselves and we are both doing that in August...... C x
Have to agree with you, we went out in mar/april this year for a reccie and visited townsville, brisbane, sunshine coast and gold coast, Melbourne and Sydney and I have to say sunshine coast is the one for us! We had heard alot about Melbourne and would probably have gone there to settle but thank god we did a reccie as I really didn't like it at all!! Maybe some people just chose the wrong area to settle without having seen anywhere else. I would strongly recommend going out first and have a good look around!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Isn't that more commonly known as PMS??
Comments like that and I'll make you read the Ladies thread.......

Almost wish I suffered from PMS, then I could whinge and get sympathy instead of whinging and getting frowned at
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:24 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Almost wish I suffered from PMS, then I could whinge and get sympathy instead of whinging and getting frowned at
READ IT??? - she bloody started it!!! :scared:
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Please miss! Please miss! I've read that thread!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Go on make him read it
Mandy
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

devonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mummy
We've been here for just about 2 years now and were quite happy and settled here until about 6 months ago. Sometimes its just not about being settled or not - in our case it is about what we feel is the best thing to do for everyone concerned.

6 months ago we went back to the UK for a visit, and it was just eye-opening to see how our 2 year old son got on with his family, who he had only seen a handful of times before. We did not appreciate the value of our families before we came here. When we made the move our son was still a baby, and so it was just a case of us two leaving our families - we didn't have to worry about the emotional impact on our son of leaving his family because he was so young. Now that he is older and it clear to see the interaction between him and his grandparents/aunts/uncles and cousins, it is much easier to see the emotional impact that leaving his family after such a short visit has on him, and on those family members too. He has no concept of time yet, so how do we try to explain to him that no we can't go and see grandma and grandad, not for a very long time.

We have therefore made the decision to return to the UK so that he can know his family and vice versa - we have no family here in Australia, and none of our friends here can even come close to replacing the close relationships with several people that all children need. He goes to family day care 4 days a week, and so has become very close to his childminder, but that relationship will have to end if we are still here when he goes to school.

I am close to my family, but lived about a 5 hour drive from them when we were still living in the UK, and we only really saw them every 3-4 months or so. I did not think we would be amongst the people that post on here who are returning for family reasons, but we are. I just feel that our son needs to develop a close and continuing relationship with more than just me and his father. When we return, needless to say, we will be aiming to live much close to our family than before.

I really hope that this does not turn into another citizenship for returnees debate, but I will say that we are intending to gain our citizenship before we return because we would like to come back again in say 20 years time - and no doubt so will our son.

And finally, I'm sure for everyone making the move out here, for those who stay, it will be hardest for the first generation, and less so for the next.
I couple of days with nan and Pop isnt the same as a full time affair-it can be all lovey, dovey and tears on departures-then you come back for good and after a few weeks the grandparents are bored and even irritated by the brats.
In other words , dont get your hopes high. be realistic.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:31 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Please miss! Please miss! I've read that thread!
Good boy, well done, go to the top of the class
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

geordiekaz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
i agree with what you say. Im not in oz yet but that is what our attitude is.
We are lucky to some extent that we are coming over at 2 seperate times to have a look at different areas.
Saying that i would still feel happy just going for it with out a look at the place.
As we are going the army route we wont really know where we will be living for quite a while yet.
Part of the appeal of going down this route is we will hopefully be given a chance to sample many different places in Australia.
Life is certainly what you make it.
i have lived in some really strange places in my life and with some of the worst places i always managed to find something positive about where i was.
Any one who has been part of the army system for a long time will understand what it is like to move somewhere frequently . you learn to be adaptable and just get on with life, no matter what the condition of the of the house is.
Mandy
Hi Mandy

Does that go for Bordon!!! Think I would struggle with that place! But agree with you, it's what you make of it as army wives well know.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by 232Bar
READ IT??? - she bloody started it!!! :scared:
At least we can be fairly thats one thread you didn't contribute to while logged in as her!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

At least we can be fairly thats one thread you didn't contribute to while logged in as her!
Are you sure?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mummy
We've been here for just about 2 years now and were quite happy and settled here until about 6 months ago. Sometimes its just not about being settled or not - in our case it is about what we feel is the best thing to do for everyone concerned.

6 months ago we went back to the UK for a visit, and it was just eye-opening to see how our 2 year old son got on with his family, who he had only seen a handful of times before. We did not appreciate the value of our families before we came here. When we made the move our son was still a baby, and so it was just a case of us two leaving our families - we didn't have to worry about the emotional impact on our son of leaving his family because he was so young. Now that he is older and it clear to see the interaction between him and his grandparents/aunts/uncles and cousins, it is much easier to see the emotional impact that leaving his family after such a short visit has on him, and on those family members too. He has no concept of time yet, so how do we try to explain to him that no we can't go and see grandma and grandad, not for a very long time.

We have therefore made the decision to return to the UK so that he can know his family and vice versa - we have no family here in Australia, and none of our friends here can even come close to replacing the close relationships with several people that all children need. He goes to family day care 4 days a week, and so has become very close to his childminder, but that relationship will have to end if we are still here when he goes to school.

I am close to my family, but lived about a 5 hour drive from them when we were still living in the UK, and we only really saw them every 3-4 months or so. I did not think we would be amongst the people that post on here who are returning for family reasons, but we are. I just feel that our son needs to develop a close and continuing relationship with more than just me and his father. When we return, needless to say, we will be aiming to live much close to our family than before.

I really hope that this does not turn into another citizenship for returnees debate, but I will say that we are intending to gain our citizenship before we return because we would like to come back again in say 20 years time - and no doubt so will our son.

And finally, I'm sure for everyone making the move out here, for those who stay, it will be hardest for the first generation, and less so for the next.
Why not stay here and let family visit you? By the very nature of them being grand-parents implies they must be getting on in years and you are going back, in part, to appease your conscience about your son growing up away from them. They won't last forever and you'll have moved back to the UK. Even with Aussie citizenship you'd have to uproot him again if you decide to come back earlier than the 20 years? As for aunts/uncles/cousins etc - in reality, how much time would he spend with them. Are you giving up a better lifestyle now, and a potentially better future for your son, to spend time with people who at best, aren't that close? Personally (and I hasten to add personally) I'd stay and let them come to you. If they miss you that much they'll do it.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
Are you sure?
No no no - I don't WANT an image of him trying to do some of the things on that thread I have to fly tomorrow, I don't want to be il!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:51 pm
Banned

No no no - I don't WANT an image of him trying to do some of the things on that thread I have to fly tomorrow, I don't want to be il!
As she said - in my case it would be as clear as mud :scared:
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiekaz
Hi Mandy

Does that go for Bordon!!! Think I would struggle with that place! But agree with you, it's what you make of it as army wives well know.
Hi Kaz
That took some doing being positive about that place. i used to enjoy taking my son to the parent and toddler swim session.
I also earned £120 a night doing night duty. so even in a place i disliked i managed to be sort of positive.
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.