Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do some people say Perth has no opportunities

Why do some people say Perth has no opportunities

Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

spudulike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do some people say Perth has no opportunities

Hi can anyone tell my why there are quite a lot of people who leave Perth as they say it doesn't have the opportunities. We are looking at Perth and would consider Brisbane but feel it may be Too humid there. Are they talking about job opportunities or education for children or what? We have teenage boys so obviously want to make the right choice. We live in the middle of the Lincolnshire wolds at present - so in the middle of nowhere - and although there are plenty of facilities cinema, hospital etc we are a good 25 miles from any decent shopping so I don't think Perth would seem cut off. Can anyone shed any light on this and/or how they made the decision.
Ta K
Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:55 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do some people say Perth has no opportunities

Originally Posted by spudulike
Hi can anyone tell my why there are quite a lot of people who leave Perth as they say it doesn't have the opportunities. We are looking at Perth and would consider Brisbane but feel it may be Too humid there. Are they talking about job opportunities or education for children or what? We have teenage boys so obviously want to make the right choice. We live in the middle of the Lincolnshire wolds at present - so in the middle of nowhere - and although there are plenty of facilities cinema, hospital etc we are a good 25 miles from any decent shopping so I don't think Perth would seem cut off. Can anyone shed any light on this and/or how they made the decision.
Ta K
Dunno , we're headed to perth we have a teen girl, what ages r your boys and r they ok about it?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:55 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Ta K
I think it depends on what you do for a living - obviously someone who makes ski-wear might find themselves with limited opportunities in Perth .But seriously if you take a look at the skills that are "in demand" and you do that kind of job then I am sure there will be opportunites for you.

One thing you can't underestimate though is the distance between Perth and *anywhere* else. Yes, you are 25 miles away from shops but in perth if you want to go somewhere "bigger" or with a greater variety of shopping then you are looking at a plane journey lasting at least 5 hours (Singapore or Sydney) its not quite the same. Once you drive out of the outskirts of Perth there really is NOTHING else, civilisation--wise for hours, if not days. You can feel really isolated. Of course there are lots of country towns and lots of beautiful countryside but no other bigger places for a LONG distance! One thing to bear in mind is that there are a LOT of people who live in Perth who have never been out of Perth-particularly amongst the older generations. Its not quite the same as someone who lives in Hertfortshire never having been to London because until recently (last 10 years or so) it was very expensive to fly even to another city in Australia, let alone Europe and coupled with prejudice about non-english speaking destinations, you had a difficult time getting away.

Re:education - I know some say that they've found the education system to be more "laid back" (i'm being kind!) than in the UK. I guess it depends on what you are looking for - kids start school later in Western Australia than they do in the UK. But then I was educated in Perth up to University level and never had any problems getting a job in the UK and certainly never felt I was "behind" education-wise compared to my British friends. I had a good job before I had kids. But then my 4 year old neice started full time school in Jan and already has lots of homework every night which I just think is ridiculous - she's 4!!!! I also think 4 is very young to be going to school all day, but there you go!

That said, I wanted to work in the media when I finished uni and the only way I could do that was to come to the UK, and London in particular. Now of course that I have good experience I don't think I'll have a problem when i go back to Australia but there is an example of "lack of opportunity". When i was in my early 20s I did think Perth was "too small" "too provincial" and dare I say it, a bit redneck in some attitudes (I'm generalising here but reading the letters page of the West Australian - one of only two daily newspapers available - is a scary expereince!!). But now that in my 30s and have two kids I can't think of a better place to raise them (and the fact that I haven't already got my 2 year old on a school waiting list in the UK means he's destined to be a shelf-stacker for the rest of his life so even then "opportunities" is a broad concept LOL)

Michelle

Last edited by michellemac; Feb 4th 2006 at 7:58 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:16 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Ta K
I think if you're comparing it to Sydney and Melbourne then it has fewer opportunities. It also depends on you're aspirations.

We never found any problems their though, and certainly don't hear it bounded about too often from our friends in Perth.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

jim mclaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta K
hi we live in lincoln and are moving to perth because of the lifestyle i can't beleive people move from perth. we made the choice because i was offered 3 jobs while on holiday with my wife and kids . as for shools only 2000 au dollers a year private shool. just waiting for medical and off we go can't wait weather ,people , lifestyle , all excellent
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:53 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by michellemac
I

Re:education - I know some say that they've found the education system to be more "laid back" (i'm being kind!) than in the UK. I guess it depends on what you are looking for - kids start school later in Western Australia than they do in the UK. But then I was educated in Perth up to University level and never had any problems getting a job in the UK and certainly never felt I was "behind" education-wise compared to my British friends. I had a good job before I had kids. But then my 4 year old neice started full time school in Jan and already has lots of homework every night which I just think is ridiculous - she's 4!!!! I also think 4 is very young to be going to school all day, but there you go!

Michelle

Glad to hear this
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Ta K
At the moment 600-800 people a week are moving to Perth basically because it's the best place in Australia & it's getting better. Everything you need is here. There is a shit load of jobs going. Some of the best schools in Australia are here & UWA is top notch. Anyone who says it's isolated is talking out of their arse & is a whinging pom. We live in a jet age. There are budget airlines, internet, email etc.

I've seen the future & it's in the west. Get your arse over here & get your slice of it.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:33 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
At the moment 600-800 people a week are moving to Perth basically because it's the best place in Australia & it's getting better. Everything you need is here. There is a shit load of jobs going. Some of the best schools in Australia are here & UWA is top notch. Anyone who says it's isolated is talking out of their arse & is a whinging pom. We live in a jet age. There are budget airlines, internet, email etc.

I've seen the future & it's in the west. Get your arse over here & get your slice of it.
karma sent - great post!!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:53 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why these references to Perth being boring or remote keep circulating. It makes no sense to me. I got a job here in 9 days even in the run up to Xmas and the agencies were lining up about 10 other interviews for me the market is so strong here. There is plenty to do also - there have been threads posted in the past listing dozens and dozens of things to do. I come from a small town in the UK so living in the Joondalup area suits me as it replicates that feeling of far enough away from the hassle but close enough to do anything in the city I want. The distance thing - sure it might take 4 hours to fly from here to another major city but it will take about 4 hours on top of that for checking in, getting to and from airports etc so we are 9 hours from Melbourne compared to being 6 hours if we were in Brisbane - that is a day's travelling either way. Also bear in mind that property is still cheaper here so you can afford to take holidays with the money you save.

The real difference in Perth to anywhere else is the pace of life. If you are the sort of person that is always on the go then don't come here. If you want somewhere where everyone is friendly, has time for you and chilling on the beach or with friends at a barbie is your thing then you will love it here.

I have noticed that when I tell people I haven't been here that long they ask me why I chose Perth. I give them the reasons above (plus the more manageable heat) and they give you a knowing smile.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:19 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't know why these references to Perth being boring or remote keep circulating. It makes no sense to me. I got a job here in 9 days even in the run up to Xmas and the agencies were lining up about 10 other interviews for me the market is so strong here. There is plenty to do also - there have been threads posted in the past listing dozens and dozens of things to do. I come from a small town in the UK so living in the Joondalup area suits me as it replicates that feeling of far enough away from the hassle but close enough to do anything in the city I want. The distance thing - sure it might take 4 hours to fly from here to another major city but it will take about 4 hours on top of that for checking in, getting to and from airports etc so we are 9 hours from Melbourne compared to being 6 hours if we were in Brisbane - that is a day's travelling either way. Also bear in mind that property is still cheaper here so you can afford to take holidays with the money you save.

The real difference in Perth to anywhere else is the pace of life. If you are the sort of person that is always on the go then don't come here. If you want somewhere where everyone is friendly, has time for you and chilling on the beach or with friends at a barbie is your thing then you will love it here.

I have noticed that when I tell people I haven't been here that long they ask me why I chose Perth. I give them the reasons above (plus the more manageable heat) and they give you a knowing smile.

Great post Worzel - karma sent!

We've been here since April and don't feel isolated at all. Granted we are a day away from other states, but there is lots to do here (we hav'nt even scratched the surface) so why would we want to visit another state anyway? We have everythig we need within a 20- 30 minute drive away and the whole of WA to expore in the future.
Don't really know why we chose Perth, we had never been to Oz before, but we just 'knew' it was for us and it is!

Tracey
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about opportunities, but the fact that it's the number one spot for relocating south africans would certainly put me off ...
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:52 am
Just Joined

spudulike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Dunno , we're headed to perth we have a teen girl, what ages r your boys and r they ok about it?
Hi there we have two boys 15 and 13 and the eldest is not too happy! He says he is coming back when he is 18. How is your daughter with the move?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We flew out when Jake was just over 13 and 2 days after Tobys 17th birthday.
Both boys are doing very, very well. It was easier for Jake to settle down as he went straight into school. Toby had to wait until te following Feb to restart school and by the time feb came he didnt want to go!

toby had a few 'drifting' jobs, but he then did a MPA skills course and has got himself an appreniceship. He loves it. He has just passed his driving test, has been with his girlfriend for almost a year, and of course he has his 'baby'....Lampard. his year old American Boxer!!

Jake has really grown up. he has gone from a ratger quier child to a real confident kid. He studies kickboxing 3 times a week at Joondalup, and is still achieving straight 'A's at school.
Neither kids would have done so well back in the UK!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You lot are dribbling shit.....

Perth is crap, dont bother coming here, go to the east coast, you will earn shit loads more, be able to travel to the next city in an hour or 2 and not 3 or 4.

To the people living in Perth..... Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:20 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
You lot are dribbling shit.....

Perth is crap, dont bother coming here, go to the east coast, you will earn shit loads more, be able to travel to the next city in an hour or 2 and not 3 or 4.

Don't believe a word of it. The weathers minus 10 over here in Melbourne, theres no work. Price of lettuce is sky high.
Beaches are crap. Plus Fraser lives here.

If youve any sense stick to beautiful Perth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.