Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

Old May 6th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice
Default why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

We are moving to Perth in September and although devastated that we are leaving them our families are both being very supportive about our move, however when I have mentioned to other people we are leaving I keep getting told "oh I could never leave my mum behind" or "thats awful taking their grandchildren away from them". Had been feeling really positive about this but now peoples reaction has made me feel really guilty.
Celia
Old May 6th 2011, 12:18 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

Screw other people! Honestly, most people have an agenda behind comments they make so let them off. You've made your own decision based on YOUR life and YOUR circumstances. If your own families are being supportive then that's great and you can tell the next person who makes a negative comment that they're all behind you.

Good luck and try not to stress

T
Old May 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandcelia
We are moving to Perth in September and although devastated that we are leaving them our families are both being very supportive about our move, however when I have mentioned to other people we are leaving I keep getting told "oh I could never leave my mum behind" or "thats awful taking their grandchildren away from them". Had been feeling really positive about this but now peoples reaction has made me feel really guilty.
Celia
Nobody can make you feel guilty unless you let them. Why would you allow people to shit on your happiness?
Old May 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have been lucky in that our friends are all fairly supportive once they realise that our families are behind us. Most of them ask the question about how our families have reacted though.

You will porbably find they are jealous that you have the opportunity to do something they havent. And when they start dont forget to tell them that even though you arent going to be in the same country as parents, you will probably value them more and spend more time talking on the internet than you do currently. Internet is a wonderful thing, esp with packages like skype around.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
You will porbably find they are jealous that you have the opportunity to do something they havent.
This is the reasoning behind those type of comments.

BB
Old May 6th 2011, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard at the time whilst they do it to you, you'll be surprised what 12,000 miles does.... These will probably be the very people you never see or hear from again...

So dont let them phase you
Old May 6th 2011, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have to be rather selfish (in the nicest possible way) and very self sufficient to be a successful migrant. They cant make you feel guilty, that's all your own work.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Thanks so much for all the replies, you are right, I shouldnt have let people make me feel guilty, our families are being supportive and we will keep in touch with skype etc and hopefully visits back to the UK so I am going to just ignore all the stupid comments from other people from now on, I am not naive and know it will be hard to do this but deep down I dont want to live to regret this opportunity if we dont take it.
Celia
Old May 7th 2011, 9:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: why do people have to make you feel more quilty than you already do

I dont want to live to regret this opportunity if we dont take it.
Which you will do.

The "What if" will be worse than emigrating and it not working out.

BB
Old May 7th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

The "What if" will be worse than emigrating and it not working out.

BB
You are right, I would rather try this and it not work out than never to have tried at all, feeling much more positive today, thanks again for the replies everyone
Celia
Old May 7th 2011, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Celia
I had a very similar experience at work when I told everyone I was leaving. I had many negative comments about our plans, some were rather hurting / personal and from people I consider close friends / worked with for a considerable period. Some people stopped talking to me during my final few weeks!

I think it is sometimes difficult for people to grasp the changes you are willing to make in your life. Some people would like to do the same as you so are possibly a little envious and some people just couldn't imagine doing it full stop.

I remember posting a very similar post to yours on here a month or so back and someone commented when you tell people your plans on moving to Australia it makes them stand back and consider their life and they don't always like what they see, so they are negative towards you and your plans.

Hang in there it gets much better, I have been in Sydney just over a week now and am really startig to love it I have to be honest and say though that the leaving thing at the airport is very very hard indeed and if I were to do it again I would do it differently. I wouldn't let so many come to see us off and I would have a more private goodbye.

GOOD LUCK
Old May 8th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon77
I had a very similar experience at work when I told everyone I was leaving. I had many negative comments about our plans, some were rather hurting / personal and from people I consider close friends / worked with for a considerable period. Some people stopped talking to me during my final few weeks!

I think it is sometimes difficult for people to grasp the changes you are willing to make in your life. Some people would like to do the same as you so are possibly a little envious and some people just couldn't imagine doing it full stop.

I remember posting a very similar post to yours on here a month or so back and someone commented when you tell people your plans on moving to Australia it makes them stand back and consider their life and they don't always like what they see, so they are negative towards you and your plans.

Hang in there it gets much better, I have been in Sydney just over a week now and am really startig to love it I have to be honest and say though that the leaving thing at the airport is very very hard indeed and if I were to do it again I would do it differently. I wouldn't let so many come to see us off and I would have a more private goodbye.

GOOD LUCK
Thanks for that reply, its good to know its not just me! Glad you are settling in and enjoying Sydney.

Celia
Old May 8th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

OxOz will become famous soon enough

Its the tall poppy syndrome. We don't like to think of anyone doing better than us so we have to be critical of what they do. One of the worst human failings (or is it just a British failing?)
Old May 8th 2011, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OxOz
Its the tall poppy syndrome. We don't like to think of anyone doing better than us so we have to be critical of what they do. One of the worst human failings (or is it just a British failing?)
Good heavens no, Australia leads the world at chopping off tall poppies at the knees (unless they are sportspeople) so getting a bit of practice in before you leave UK is probably a good idea LOL
Old May 9th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Celia
They're just jealous. Tell them to f**k off. You're doing the best for you and your family, that's all that matters.

Cheers

LG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.