Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Wikiposts

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:31 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why are cars so expensive down under!

Originally Posted by Superior
Those figures are bulshit! I checked and they are:
184 kW (250 bhp) at 5300 r/min.
http://www.saab.com/main/GB/en/model/95/techspecs.shtml

HSV R8 - A 6.2 liter V8, 297Kw straight off the shelf.

Suck on that, loser!

In your little world perhaps they are world class. I used to live in the country where they make those cars and let me tell you, they are NOT world class as far as I'm concerned. Neither is BMW's, Audis, (yes I have owned one of each a long time ago).

Thats because apart from possibly scandinavia, europe don't have a muscle car culture and petrol is simply too expensive. But it is alive and well in Australia and the US. The Monaro is sold in the US as a Pontiac GTO and THAT is muscle car BIG TIME! Obviously, the yanks thought it was good enough to be sold as one of their classic cars.

Being a small island, in the UK we like importing cars. Personal imports from mainland Europe, Japan & Dubai have increased dramatically in recent years, but do we see any Australian cars on the road? None.
QUOTE]

Duh!
Like I have only explained about 4 or 5 times before, unlike the US or Australia, your boring country doesn't have a muscle car culture.

Grasp that!
Wonder if thay also don't have hoons - those who think reving engines and burning tyres on public roads is a worthy pursuit?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it the power to weight ratio that matters? Holdens and Fords are poorly built shite.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Those figures are bulshit! I checked and they are:
184 kW (250 bhp) at 5300 r/min.
http://www.saab.com/main/GB/en/model/95/techspecs.shtml

HSV R8 - A 6.2 liter V8, 297Kw straight off the shelf.

Suck on that, loser!

In your little world perhaps they are world class. I used to live in the country where they make those cars and let me tell you, they are NOT world class as far as I'm concerned. Neither is BMW's, Audis, (yes I have owned one of each a long time ago).

Thats because apart from possibly scandinavia, europe don't have a muscle car culture and petrol is simply too expensive. But it is alive and well in Australia and the US. The Monaro is sold in the US as a Pontiac GTO and THAT is muscle car BIG TIME! Obviously, the yanks thought it was good enough to be sold as one of their classic cars.

Being a small island, in the UK we like importing cars. Personal imports from mainland Europe, Japan & Dubai have increased dramatically in recent years, but do we see any Australian cars on the road? None.
QUOTE]

Duh!
Like I have only explained about 4 or 5 times before, unlike the US or Australia, your boring country doesn't have a muscle car culture.

Grasp that!
Hey Aussie, I think I'm gonna import my M3 into Aus, so I can have a dice with your Aussie pile of crap. It'll be no contest.

Aussie cars are Sh*te with a capital S.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:59 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Suck on that, loser!
Your well reasoned and articulate response has won me over. I can see now that Australian cars are 'awesome' and that all other manufacturers should cease production immediately. I'll get right on with spreading the word.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

GM are already considering that now that they can flog more imported stuff under the FTA. There are some US made beamers that will also become cheaper here.

Toyota is the overall bestseller here.

Maintaining a car industry now requires large amounts of government subsidies. Holden is just a method of keeping unemployment down in Adelaide.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
Your well reasoned and articulate response has won me over. I can see now that Australian cars are 'awesome' and that all other manufacturers should cease production immediately. I'll get right on with spreading the word.
The Monaro is not a bad car, for what you pay you get a lot of car. Apart from that Aussie cars are sh*t. Old technology, boring & overpriced. I won't be buying one.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bondipom
GM are already considering that now that they can flog more imported stuff under the FTA. There are some US made beamers that will also become cheaper here.

Toyota is the overall bestseller here.

Maintaining a car industry now requires large amounts of government subsidies. Holden is just a method of keeping unemployment down in Adelaide.
Thats what I thought. Toyota is no.1 because they make quality, reliable cars. Can't say the same for Holden or Ford.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:17 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

you didn't answer the question.

what is the purpose of a car if it isn't for transport?

and for the record, obviously some cars are a better drive. i love the mazda3 and think it drives great. but driving around the burbs, there was no benefit to driving the 2.0litre neo against the 2.3litre SP23. you don't *need* a 'muscle' car, it's just an excuse to pose.

and some of the spoilers you see on cars here in oz are just so...... ugly! (i wanted to say the w-word, but i know my work monitor our web usage!).

You said "the commodore and falcon will, sadly, always sell well amongst the bogan population of oz due to the whole ford/holden rivalry - which is a sad thing anyway. performance cars on suburban roads are a waste of time. the purpose of a car is to get you from 'a' to 'b'"

I want to enjoy my driving and I DO enjoy driving a powerful performance car, whereas you don't obviously, you are content with a rolling euro type mobile ashtray.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:22 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brisnick
you didn't answer the question.

and for the record, obviously some cars are a better drive. i love the mazda3 and think it drives great. but driving around the burbs, there was no benefit to driving the 2.0litre neo against the 2.3litre SP23. you don't *need* a 'muscle' car, it's just an excuse to pose.

and some of the spoilers you see on cars here in oz are just so...... ugly! (i wanted to say the w-word, but i know my work monitor our web usage!).
Hia ll,
So no one will be importing Reliant Realto's then
(that will set the cat amonhgst the pigeons )

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:23 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i seem to remember that the they were having problems with selling the pontiac gto to the yanks. they obviously DIDN'T think it was good enough.

and thankfully, europe doesn't have a muscle car culture. it's probably one of the worst aspects of australia.

The Monaro is sold in the US as a Pontiac GTO and THAT is muscle car BIG TIME! Obviously, the yanks thought it was good enough to be sold as one of their classic cars.

Grasp that!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:28 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick

In people like superior's case I suspect it's to compensate for something lacking in the manhood department.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Thats right. It won't be a contest. You're not even in the same league......
Try harder......
You'll need to be trying harder. It's premier league against the 3rd division. M3 will hammer any piece of Aussie sh*te.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:40 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Let's not feed the troll any more.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Most Aussie muscle cars will leave you dead, mate. You see, europe has never had a muscle car culture (I KNOW this because I used to live there).

HSV, FPV, Maloo.........europe has yet to produce anything that can match these. Whether you accept it or not.
Live with it.......
Who gives a *****. My M3 will destroy your Aussie pile of bolts, hands down. Thats all I need to know
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:49 am
Drunken Aussie

i bloody hope not!

One step closer to the US.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.