Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why can't I find a car?

Why can't I find a car?

Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why can't I find a car?

Hey guys,

been in Oz just under a week and loving it so far.... except we have just had 2 frustrating days looking for a cheap small automatic car to buy (round the $5/6K mark.)

It has to be automatic as thats the licence I have (I'm a wuss I know!) and we just wanted a small cheap runaround until we get jobs and then we can buy a better 2nd car for my hubbie.

But I have been in to about 20 dealers and they all say small automatics (say, Nissan Micra, Hyundai Getz sort of size) in my price range are scarce! WHY?

Everything they show me is either a big automatic car or small but out of my price range. Yet I see loads of small cars driving around, so why can't I get a cheap 10 year old one for 5K? I don't care if its had a few knocks.

I'm in Hervey Bay by the way, but between that and the next town there are about 20 car dealers so I thought I'd find something.

Any insights/advice?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why can't I find a car?

Meant to add, what would you do in my situation? Hire our rental car for another week and hope something comes up or start looking for a car through private sales? Anyone with any experience of private sales? Thanks guys X
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Second hand cars are expensive, and $6k isn't that big a budget. Have a look on carsales.com.au, I've had a quick peak but it seems there's not much about at that price. Good luck.

Last edited by spartacus; Apr 8th 2009 at 10:41 am.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:49 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The best way would be to find a private buyer. Try the link below and fill in the criteria there are a few when I looked.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...ed-search.aspx
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
The best way would be to find a private buyer. Try the link below and fill in the criteria there are a few when I looked.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...ed-search.aspx
This sort of thing: http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...&PriceMax=7500
Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys - I think I will have to try private sales. Does anyone havde experience of private sales- I'm just worried that there'll be no comeback if the car is a dud whereas at least with a dealer I will have a warranty.

I know 6k is not much of a budget but I thought I'd find a beat up old run around. Aw well, I'll see how private sales go.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Had a similar problem myself, but have a look around ebay, you can refine your search area and price range to suit your needs. There is a hell of a lot of not so good cars at car yards in that price range. When buying privately get your friendly local mechanic or someone who knows about cars to give it the once over. Best of luck.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Thanks guys - I think I will have to try private sales. Does anyone havde experience of private sales- I'm just worried that there'll be no comeback if the car is a dud whereas at least with a dealer I will have a warranty.

I know 6k is not much of a budget but I thought I'd find a beat up old run around. Aw well, I'll see how private sales go.
You need to be careful that there is no outstanding debt on the car. There is some check you can have done but not sure what it is called. Sorry, not a lot of help!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, thanks Sallyclaire, wasn't aware of that but will look into it asap. Appreciate that X
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thanks Sallyclaire, wasn't aware of that but will look into it asap. Appreciate that X
Have a look here for all info:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._used_vehicle/
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Get the local trader there is lots of private cars for sale if you are looking at paying $6000 look at cars that are priced at $7000 $7500 and offer them $6000.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

You'll find something in your price range if you keep looking. Its a real buyers market at the moment so no harm in making offers on cars that are just outside your affordability
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I did try to make offers on the couple of cars I found but the dealers said no! They weren't silly offers either - I was asking them to take about $900 off for cash but they were having none of it! I walked away twice and they still didn't lower their prices!? Still, I'll keep trying.......
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:46 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

the NRMA will do a basic pre-purchase check for you. Dealers selling cars in your price bracket are likely to rip you off anyway- private is the way to go, although I understand your reticence. Most cheaper cars are manual, unfortunately and we ended up with a manual corolla. Try ebay and then conact the seller and go and look. I feel you pain!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

I did try to make offers on the couple of cars I found but the dealers said no! They weren't silly offers either - I was asking them to take about $900 off for cash but they were having none of it! I walked away twice and they still didn't lower their prices!? Still, I'll keep trying.......
Stay away from the dealers only buy from private sellers you will get a much better deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.