Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the "Barmy Army"?

Why the "Barmy Army"?

Old Jan 18th 2003, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Why the "Barmy Army"?

Can anyone explain to me why the Aussies refer to Brits as the Barmy Army?

I read the following in the Brisbane Courier Mail today, and just wondered....

"Here`s a scary thought: What if the Barmy Army never went home?... it is cheaper for Poms to live in Australia on an extended holiday than it was to live at home... Perhaps we could encourage them to visit New Zealand, seen in splendid focus in the Lord of the Rings movies. After all, have you noticed how many of them resemble the Orcs?"

That`s my first, and probably last, quote from an Oz newspaper, but it got me thinking...
Old Jan 18th 2003, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

They have their own website - www.barmy-army.com, It's a name they coined themselves because they are barmy to spend so much money following a cricket team that rarely wins. See the history page on the web site.

Last edited by wizzywozza; Jan 18th 2003 at 7:41 am.