Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I don't know of many women that enjoyed Wolf Creek!
I'm generally not a big fan of horrors but I thought that movie was superb. Took it back to Blighty last time I went and made everyone watch it. My mum's too scared to come back over here again now!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:16 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I don't know of many women that enjoyed Wolf Creek!
I watched about 20mins of it and still shit my pants when I think of it Not my cup of tea AT ALL.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Another couple of films not worth watching are Stormboy and 10Canoas.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

"Breaker Morant" is a brilliant Australian movie, I'd highly recommend this to everyone. Don't watch "Shine".... I would also not recommend "Picnic by the Hanging Rock", nothing special really.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RussellCat
there are loads of great aussie movies - half of them are in your list - crazy you don't get them!!

What about Samson and Delilah - a master piece
Mary & Max
My year without sex
Last ride

all very recent aussie movies - a lot of you seem to be missing out!

Walkabout
The Proposition
Romper Stomper
Jindabine.....
I'm more into contemporary movies.... so, did not like Samson and Delilah much. Also, Romper Stomper is a bit too violent for my taste.

Could not find Mary and Max, My Year Without Sex, Last Ride and Jindabine anywhere. Will watch The Proposition and Walkabout next week and let you know.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
was skippy a movie or just a series?
i was talking to a friend of mine.

American films are dominated by the studios( new line, warner bros, Weinstein and dreamworks) which give funding to the directors to produce the films.

Australian films receive funding from the government, through Screen Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Australia

check out the budget on the show below, 1.3 million dollars compared to american budgets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_Boys