Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm just being honest here, not at all arrogant. Curious to know more about the Oz way of life in view of our future move, I have attempted to watch the movies belew. So crappy..... may be its just me, or my selection of movies or perhaps thats how Aussies make movies?

Holy Smoke - what's the story?
Strange Bedfellows - has anyone managed to get a laugh out of this?
Mad Max series - I could not even stand the first 10 minutes
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - so shallow
December Boys - whats so special?
Lantana - simply crap
Ned Kelly - Australian bravery in Vietnam? Whats the point?
The Castle - hardly passable as a comedy, very mediocre
Rabbit Proof Fence - typical aborigine bashing movie, lacks depth
Australia - seems so artificial even with Nicole Kidman in it, weak
Rogue - is that what you call acting prowess?
Wolf Creek - is there a difference between pure brutality and horror film?

I'm usually comparing the above with good movies that come out of the US and the UK.
Have you seen Gallipoli? Excellent.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Just finished downloading it, will see this weekend.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:28 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Just finished downloading it, will see this weekend.
Watch a film called Breaker Morant as well, set in the Boer War also a great Aussie film, another good one is called " the interview" staring Hugo Weaving.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
And after a few drinks
Did you find find the first croc dundee film funny, most people say they found it funny when they first saw it during the 80's but if they watched it again now its dreadful.
Found it pretty dreadful back then and i'm sure would find it unwatchable today.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Would agree one of the better Australian films by far...perhaps the best??
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

The Piano??? Picnic at Hanging rock, walkabout, Muriels wedding, Pelican Boy ... loads of classic aussie movies
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

I've just read through the past 6 pages and can't believe that no one has menitoned "Dr Zhivago", what a film !! The scenary in Western Australia and Tasmania that was used for that film was amazing. Which part of Sydney was Omar Shariff from ?

And wasn't it just 3 months ago that Anastasia was seen in Queensland ?
Old Jun 20th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Just finished watching Muriel's Wedding and Two Hands.... much better than the earlier bunch.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 8:00 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Just finished watching Muriel's Wedding and Two Hands.... much better than the earlier bunch.
Two hands with heath ledger was great, l liked Ned Kelly staring him also.
See if you can find one called" the interview" staring Hugo Weaving, a great film, a comedy called the " wog boy" is another good aussie film.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 20th 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 9:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AlanEll
I've just read through the past 6 pages and can't believe that no one has menitoned "Dr Zhivago", what a film !! The scenary in Western Australia and Tasmania that was used for that film was amazing. Which part of Sydney was Omar Shariff from ?

And wasn't it just 3 months ago that Anastasia was seen in Queensland ?
Omar Shariff was from Lakemba in the Western Suburbs of Sydney thats where all the Lebanese and Arabs live. DR Zhivago was filmed in the Snowy Mountains in eastern Victoria. Lawrence of Arabia was made in the Northern Territory outback, near Alice Springs because thats where all the camels are, another great Aussie classic film.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 20th 2009 at 9:15 am.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Omar Shariff was from Lakemba in the Western Suburbs of Sydney thats where all the Lebanese and Arabs live. DR Zhivago was filmed in the Snowy Mountains in eastern Victoria. Lawrence of Arabia was made in the Northern Territory outback, near Alice Springs because thats where all the camels are, another great Aussie classic film.
And all the best films come with the tag Made In Australia..end off.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

See if you can find one called" the interview" staring Hugo Weaving, a great film, a comedy called the " wog boy" is another good aussie film.
Thanks mate. I saw "Gettin' Square" yesterday. In my view, its a very decent movie though they have overdone it in some places but thats not unusual for the kind of story it is. I would recommend this one to other members here as well.

Also, tried to watch "Strictly Ballroom" but could not hold patience..... there's enough out there of similar crap from Hollywood...

I also quickly scanned through the Romper Stomper and the Chopper.... seemed like lots of raw and crude violence and sickening bloodshed. I don't think I will spend time watching them full length.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:32 am
Banned

Thanks mate. I saw "Gettin' Square" yesterday. In my view, its a very decent movie though they have overdone it in some places but thats not unusual for the kind of story it is. I would recommend this one to other members here as well.

Also, tried to watch "Strictly Ballroom" but could not hold patience..... there's enough out there of similar crap from Hollywood...

I also quickly scanned through the Romper Stomper and the Chopper.... seemed like lots of raw and crude violence and sickening bloodshed. I don't think I will spend time watching them full length.
Yes l thought strictly ballroom was dreadful also , although chopper and romper stompers are both very violent they are both good films worth watching, another good one is " the interview" but it might be hard to find. There was a really good Aussie T.V mini series called Underbelly, there was two series., the first one was the best, try to find that one, its set in Melbourne, a true story about two crime families that go to war for control of Melbourne drug trade and the police taskforce that brings them down , it was the most successful aussie tv show ever made.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

"Malcolm" (1986) is a charming film. Filmed in Melbourne, soundtrack by Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

But ignore the PG rating if you have kids - lots of swearing.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just finished watching Wog Boy and enjoyed it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.