Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:34 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by elmao
I watched The Castle not long after arriving in Oz and was completely unamused and thought it was terrible (I only made it about half way through).

A few years later I ended up watching it again and was in absolute stitches....it just took a while to be able to get both the references and the Aussie style of humour.

Going the other way around, I though the film Kenny was hilarious...so good in fact that I sent a copy to my parents in Ireland for xmas.....and was told something along the lines of "that DVD you sent, it was very... am ... sad story...I thought you said it was a comedy??!!"

So there you have it, maybe the Aussie cinema isn't "so crap", maybe it just takes some time in Australia to able to appreciate it!
I can echo this actually, The Castle is much funnier 3 years into your Oz experience
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Two Hands, Walkabout, Storm Boy, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Young Einstein, Heaven's Burning (esp loved this last one).

I think the above movies are thoughtful or offbeat and hold their own with Hollywood Fodder.

Anyone seen Ten Canoes? I've heard it's meant to be good.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Two Hands, Walkabout, Storm Boy, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Young Einstein, Heaven's Burning (esp loved this last one).

I think the above movies are thoughtful or offbeat and hold their own with Hollywood Fodder.

Anyone seen Ten Canoes? I've heard it's meant to be good.
Thanks mate. I will try to watch these as well.... as they say, never give up hope...
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mika24me
I can echo this actually, The Castle is much funnier 3 years into your Oz experience
Well, I spent a couple of years in Oz studying for my post-grad..... still find it so hard to digest aussie humour. Thats just me, but everyone is different I guess (or at least thats what the moderators here will keep telling you all the time....)
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
Well, I spent a couple of years in Oz studying for my post-grad..... still find it so hard to digest aussie humour. Thats just me, but everyone is different I guess (or at least thats what the moderators here will keep telling you all the time....)
Not all the mods. Every one is different.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:38 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mika24me
And after a few drinks
Did you find find the first croc dundee film funny, most people say they found it funny when they first saw it during the 80's but if they watched it again now its dreadful.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 17th 2009 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mohogony
And after a few drinks
Did you find find the first croc dundee film funny, most people say they found it funny when they first saw it during the 80's but if they watched it again now its dreadful.
Don't you think that's true of a lot of 80's comedies though? I found many of them hilarious a the time, but most seem very dated and unfunny now.

'Course, it could be that's because I'm dated and unfunny now.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

I thought Crocodile Dundee was set in New Zealand ?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's fair to say that all countries have good movies and crap movies. There is a lot of crap that comes out of the US and UK as well as Aus. Comparing good movies from one country to crap movies from another proves nothing.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanEll
No. FNQ. Unless you're talking about the second one but that was mainly in New York
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

No. That was Crocodile Dunedin
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:09 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

No thats " Sheep Dundee", about a sheep herder in the NZ wilderness whose attacked by a sheep and a female American news reporter travels to the NZ wilds to do a story about him and travels back to New york with her and he ends up falling in love, with the sheep.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 18th 2009 at 8:11 am.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
No thats " Sheep Dundee", about a sheep herder in the NZ wilderness whose attacked by a sheep and a female American news reporter travels to the NZ wilds to do a story about him and travels back to New york with her and he ends up falling in love, with the sheep.
It always comes back to Dunroaving, doesn't it?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Stop me if I'm wrong here, but what did Ned Kelly have to do with Vietnam? I can't see the relevance.

"Aborigine bashing"? A story which champions Aboriginal rights and details the abuses committed against them is "Aborigine bashing"?

Ask the makers of Saw, Hostel, etc...
Vash, you're far too logical for most of the punters on this forum.

Here's a couple of Aussie flicks I love:

- Look Both Ways
- Rabbit Proof Fence
- Samson and Delila
- Gettin Square
- Japanese Story
- Muriel's Wedding
- Proof
- Shine
- Breaker Morant

One man's crap movie is another man's masterpiece.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

I can't see anyone mentioning "Kenny" yet. I didn't find it a "laugh-out-loud" film, but it was quiet watchable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.