Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
By what parameters would you catorgorise the definition of an Australian movie?
I asked Deep Thought about this and the answer is...
they are crap
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:47 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
By what parameters would you catorgorise the definition of an Australian movie?
Aussie writers/screenwriters and producers is generally how I would see this. I believe the Oscars classify a movie to a nation by where the producers are from (ie: who funds it)

Otherwise you could class The Lord Of The Rings trilogy as Kiwi movies
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:18 am
Luchane

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Aussie writers/screenwriters and producers is generally how I would see this. I believe the Oscars classify a movie to a nation by where the producers are from (ie: who funds it)
It was written by an Australian and five of the six producers were Australian.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm just being honest here, not at all arrogant. Curious to know more about the Oz way of life in view of our future move, I have attempted to watch the movies belew. So crappy..... may be its just me, or my selection of movies or perhaps thats how Aussies make movies?

Holy Smoke - what's the story?
Strange Bedfellows - has anyone managed to get a laugh out of this?
Mad Max series - I could not even stand the first 10 minutes
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - so shallow
December Boys - whats so special?
Lantana - simply crap
Ned Kelly - Australian bravery in Vietnam? Whats the point?
The Castle - hardly passable as a comedy, very mediocre
Rabbit Proof Fence - typical aborigine bashing movie, lacks depth
Australia - seems so artificial even with Nicole Kidman in it, weak
Rogue - is that what you call acting prowess?
Wolf Creek - is there a difference between pure brutality and horror film?

I'm usually comparing the above with good movies that come out of the US and the UK.
i liked Wolf Creek thought it was a great film very scary
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, Ned Kelly has got nothing to do with Vietnam.... I just confused it with another one made in Vietnam.... the name is just not clicking now
Could it be Odd Angry Shot,which had Graeme Kennedy i think it was in it and set in Nam.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by overthemoon
i liked Wolf Creek thought it was a great film very scary
Yes but i thought was influenced by more than a few shades of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It's fairly obvious why Australian films are a bit rough around the edges, but can someone explain to me why the UK cannot produce any good films these days (or in the last 20 years) apart from monotonous period dramas and incredibly weak romantic comedies, despite having some brilliant actors, plenty of infrastructure and experience?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I doubt that is the case, most funding for US movies comes from Germany.

http://www.slate.com/id/2117309/
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Vash... I have downloaded all of these and many more movies from a torrent site. I have watched all the ones I have listed (believe it or not) except for Priscilla and Mad Max, as I could not hold patience for more than 10 minutes. I'm yet to download and watch some of the more famous ones like Crocodile Dundee, The Dish and few others that came recommended here by a few members. I just don't feel like paying for them, its not worth the money.
I agree a lot if not most Australian films are taking to watch to say the least.Saw Priscilla at a cinema in Amsterdam when it was released there and at the end it was applauded by the audience.
Could never get into the Mad Max films myself as found it boring the one i did see.
Australian films are what i would describe as generally light.Yes they are made on a low budget but i feel in some ways it expresses to an extent the
society that it is reflecting on.
So don't expect the intellectual depth of certain British films or the deep emotional impute and questioning that comes from France nor the heavy, dark ,brooding themes that can be the content from Russia ,Finland,Norway etc.Not even the often erotic charged films from Spain which seems to have become a big part of the Asian theme also with films from China being very daring in the recent decade.
And how is it that Iran can make such good films?Surely they must also be on a low budget?
From what i have seen Canada would appear to be better at film making.
Is that the Australians go abroad as soon as they make a name and become part of the American Global Film industry?? Good chance this being the case i feel.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:47 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scotty9000
I asked Deep Thought about this and the answer is...
they are crap
How can you call great films like " Gallipoli" or " Brekaer Morant" crap, have you seen these two films?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:49 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Could it be Odd Angry Shot,which had Graeme Kennedy i think it was in it and set in Nam.
l thought the film was good, l had a friend at school whose dad fought in vietnam in the Aussie army and he said the film was just like it was over there.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

I watched The Castle not long after arriving in Oz and was completely unamused and thought it was terrible (I only made it about half way through).

A few years later I ended up watching it again and was in absolute stitches....it just took a while to be able to get both the references and the Aussie style of humour.

Going the other way around, I though the film Kenny was hilarious...so good in fact that I sent a copy to my parents in Ireland for xmas.....and was told something along the lines of "that DVD you sent, it was very... am ... sad story...I thought you said it was a comedy??!!"

So there you have it, maybe the Aussie cinema isn't "so crap", maybe it just takes some time in Australia to able to appreciate it!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elmao
I watched The Castle not long after arriving in Oz and was completely unamused and thought it was terrible (I only made it about half way through).

A few years later I ended up watching it again and was in absolute stitches....it just took a while to be able to get both the references and the Aussie style of humour.

Going the other way around, I though the film Kenny was hilarious...so good in fact that I sent a copy to my parents in Ireland for xmas.....and was told something along the lines of "that DVD you sent, it was very... am ... sad story...I thought you said it was a comedy??!!"

So there you have it, maybe the Aussie cinema isn't "so crap", maybe it just takes some time in Australia to able to appreciate it!
Even if the films are a little wanting have seen a few well made Aussie tele serries over the years sometimes made as a joint Oz/Uk production which were very good.
Afraid Comedy is one big area of failure in my book at least as a rule.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jond
I think the film you are on about is the Odd Angry Shot, which is based on the SAS in Vietnam. It was always meant to be a light hearted anti war film and was not supposed to be factual, it shows the troopers getting killed one after the other when in fact only one SAS member was killed in Vietnam.

It was pretty good in the way it showed the stealth used by the aussies in the field as opposed to the firepower tactics used by the yanks.

I watched Australia the other week and if you don't try to look at it as a Gone With The Wind type epic then it is quite watchable.
Thanks!!!! Odd Angry Shot it is.... sorry to confuse this with Ned Kelly...
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I agree a lot if not most Australian films are taking to watch to say the least.Saw Priscilla at a cinema in Amsterdam when it was released there and at the end it was applauded by the audience.
Could never get into the Mad Max films myself as found it boring the one i did see.
Australian films are what i would describe as generally light.Yes they are made on a low budget but i feel in some ways it expresses to an extent the
society that it is reflecting on.
So don't expect the intellectual depth of certain British films or the deep emotional impute and questioning that comes from France nor the heavy, dark ,brooding themes that can be the content from Russia ,Finland,Norway etc.Not even the often erotic charged films from Spain which seems to have become a big part of the Asian theme also with films from China being very daring in the recent decade.
And how is it that Iran can make such good films?Surely they must also be on a low budget?
From what i have seen Canada would appear to be better at film making.
Is that the Australians go abroad as soon as they make a name and become part of the American Global Film industry?? Good chance this being the case i feel.
Thanks mate, you just spoke my heart out. I just couldn't say this as nicely as you did. I am definitely not into light kind of movies. I don't think lightness has got much to do with budget. Many excellent European films are low budget, look at the Russian classics. I got no doubt Aussies have got lots of good movie-making talents. I think the way they make their movies and weave a story around it have got more to do with their way of life or accentricities than lack of budget or ingenuity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.