Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:19 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Moulin Rouge? Aussie Film? Why because it was an Aussie director? As far as I am aware that does not make it an Aussie film
and filmed mostly in Sydney, with a lead Australian actress and many other Australian cast members.....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's a matter of personal taste? I happened to enjoy 'Australia', others hated it. I hated Gone With The Wind but it's gone down in history as one of the greatest films ever. You consider the list of films crap, I don't. Neither of us is wrong, just different.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Moulin Rouge? Aussie Film? Why because it was an Aussie director? As far as I am aware that does not make it an Aussie film
Australian director, Australian cast, Australian made, so I guess it's Australian. What's your problem?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:40 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Surely it's a matter of personal taste? I happened to enjoy 'Australia', others hated it. I hated Gone With The Wind but it's gone down in history as one of the greatest films ever. You consider the list of films crap, I don't. Neither of us is wrong, just different.
but some are more different than others,

did that come from an Aussie film?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:43 am
Luchane

It was registered as an Australian film upon entry in the Cannes Film Festival. Is that proof enough for you?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Australian director, Australian cast, Australian made, so I guess it's Australian. What's your problem?
Many movies fit that mould but are not even close to being categorised like that. The Matrix movies for instance. Granted not an Aussie director but ticks all your other boxes.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:48 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm just being honest here, not at all arrogant. Curious to know more about the Oz way of life in view of our future move, I have attempted to watch the movies belew. So crappy..... may be its just me, or my selection of movies or perhaps thats how Aussies make movies?

Holy Smoke - what's the story?
Strange Bedfellows - has anyone managed to get a laugh out of this?
Mad Max series - I could not even stand the first 10 minutes
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - so shallow
December Boys - whats so special?
Lantana - simply crap
Ned Kelly - Australian bravery in Vietnam? Whats the point?
The Castle - hardly passable as a comedy, very mediocre
Rabbit Proof Fence - typical aborigine bashing movie, lacks depth
Australia - seems so artificial even with Nicole Kidman in it, weak
Rogue - is that what you call acting prowess?
Wolf Creek - is there a difference between pure brutality and horror film?

I'm usually comparing the above with good movies that come out of the US and the UK.
Ned Kelly was almost as per history - nothing to do with Vietnam, he was an Australian bushranger and his gang terrorised the British police and troops in Victoria in the 19th century.
Prissilla, was quite good.
Mad Max was brilliant for the era, ok the third was abit limp.
Rabbit Proof Fence was brilliantly portrayed.
The Castle is brilliantly funny.
Strange Bedfellows was alot better that the sick American copy, sorry they reckon they didn't.... ROFL
Ok Rogue and Wolf Creek are abit dubious. Wolf Creek depended alot on the backpacker and Northern Territory murders.
Haven't seen the others so I won't comment as they just ain't my cuppa tea.

Haven't seen or heard of anything coming out of the UK that even made it to the cinema!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
I'm just being honest here, not at all arrogant. Curious to know more about the Oz way of life in view of our future move, I have attempted to watch the movies belew. So crappy..... may be its just me, or my selection of movies or perhaps thats how Aussies make movies?

Holy Smoke - what's the story?
Strange Bedfellows - has anyone managed to get a laugh out of this?
Mad Max series - I could not even stand the first 10 minutes
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - so shallow
December Boys - whats so special?
Lantana - simply crap
Ned Kelly - Australian bravery in Vietnam? Whats the point?
The Castle - hardly passable as a comedy, very mediocre
Rabbit Proof Fence - typical aborigine bashing movie, lacks depth
Australia - seems so artificial even with Nicole Kidman in it, weak
Rogue - is that what you call acting prowess?
Wolf Creek - is there a difference between pure brutality and horror film?

I'm usually comparing the above with good movies that come out of the US and the UK.
I think most of them are based on real events and real people - that is why they are so hard to swallow. Often the truth is hard to accept.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:58 am

Many movies fit that mould but are not even close to being categorised like that. The Matrix movies for instance. Granted not an Aussie director but ticks all your other boxes.
By what parameters would you catorgorise the definition of an Australian movie?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Luchane
It was registered as an Australian film upon entry in the Cannes Film Festival. Is that proof enough for you?
Probably not, he'd still find fault.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:00 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Haven't seen or heard of anything coming out of the UK that even made it to the cinema!
Slumdog Millionaire.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to get my head round Ned Kelly in Vietnam
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:06 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=

Haven't seen or heard of anything coming out of the UK that even made it to the cinema![/QUOTE]

Clockwise.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:23 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

you need to get out more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ema_since_2000
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm still trying to get my head round Ned Kelly in Vietnam
LOL, I was laughing and scratching my head at the same time. Makes you wonder if he's actually seen any of these movies? I mean, characterising RPF as "Aborigine bashing"... what a joke.

My guess is that he's simply pulled a list of names off the internet and hastily Googled for a few details. Doesn't look like he did a thorough job though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.