Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian bricklayers so messy?

Why are Australian bricklayers so messy?

Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:35 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why are Australian bricklayers so messy?

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I love it but the OH isn't so keen so we compromise. I have to eat Indian and in return he will eat Japanese but nothing raw for him. I HATE chinese food though and nothing will make me eat it.
How about Aussie food, Maccas & a slab.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:38 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
How about Aussie food, Maccas & a slab.
I LOVE Sausage and Egg McMuffins
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:44 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I LOVE Sausage and Egg McMuffins

Is that for real or is that slang ?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

"my mate said this, my mate said that" "bloke down the pub"
these are my words
rod
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:01 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
these are my words
rod
Perhaps I should have put next door neighbour then.

And these are mine...

'Grow up'!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:03 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
these are my words
rod
These are my words

Don't compare office work with bricklaying.

My brickwork would be shoddy - if you are a bricklayer you would be mentally deadbeat before lunch. Fact.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
These are my words

Don't compare office work with bricklaying.

My brickwork would be shoddy - if you are a bricklayer you would be mentally deadbeat before lunch. Fact.
Moved a guy in last week, who had been a building site super visor in the uk[Birmingham] he reckons they hire Polish or other east Europeans as "they turned up every day, did a far better job quicker and neater" so perhaps all those out of work uk brick layers are on there way here?................ mm
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Moved a guy in last week, who had been a building site super visor in the uk[Birmingham] he reckons they hire Polish or other east Europeans as "they turned up every day, did a far better job quicker and neater" so perhaps all those out of work uk brick layers are on there way here?................ mm
Oops part of message disappeared - should of read "if he was a bricklayer trying to do some office work would leave him deadbeat before lunch"
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

The two pommy bricklayers building the house next to me, affordable living, are the worse Ive seen, The work is an eyesore and they've put the door frames in the wrong way
The owners are looking at solutions to the shoddy work, I would make them take it down and start again.

Di
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Is there a two-tier system operating....

If these new builds (land and house packages) utilise crap standards, does this reflect the fact that they are priced 'low' and therefore Aussie tradies work accordingly.

I've seen a few new builds where we live and most seem OK - newish designs with a nod to current 'fashion' (which I don't like) but no disaster.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ok. Is there a two-tier system operating....

If these new builds (land and house packages) utilise crap standards, does this reflect the fact that they are priced 'low' and therefore Aussie tradies work accordingly.

I've seen a few new builds where we live and most seem OK - newish designs with a nod to current 'fashion' (which I don't like) but no disaster.
You're absolutely right. If you pay peanuts for a house you will almost always get a bodge job. That's not to say that you can't pay big bucks for a bodge job, but the better bricklayers and tradesmen are always sought after and their work costs more.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
You're absolutely right. If you pay peanuts for a house you will almost always get a bodge job. That's not to say that you can't pay big bucks for a bodge job, but the better bricklayers and tradesmen are always sought after and their work costs more.
Jeeze you have learnt a bit since you bin here .............. mm
Ps ..pay peanuts you get monkeys
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:36 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
not always the case Wol ,i think here in the west especially there is to many wanna be tradesmen and unfortunately they are giving real tradesman a bad name ,if and when the slump comes that will sort the men out from the boys and to be honest as a time served tradesmen i cant wait to sort the chaff out .