Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia over Canada?

Wikiposts

Why Australia over Canada?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:05 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Australia over Canada?

Originally posted by SentApril2002
35 is rare, I'm in Southern Ontario right now. Last summer wasn't that humid.
I grew up in southern Ontario. Last summer was extremely cool - I was there too. My uncle (80 years old) has spent his entire life there and told me that he has never seen such a cool summer (2003). You can't judge Ontario by last summer! 35 deg. C. is not as rare as you may think - especially at Windsor.

Southern Ontario, can be as hot and humid (ie. humidex) as nearly anywhere in N.A. - for a few weeks each year. I've lived in The Bahamas, Florida, southern Nevada, California and Mexico - I know what heat and humidity are all about.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 19th 2004 at 5:15 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 5:09 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by nickyc
I doubt if Canada is quite so 'in your face' as Australia is, in the UK. They get endless TV programs about people migrating/buying houses in Australia and following their progress (good and bad). Ordinary TV programs seem to incorporate Australian storylines quite frequently (probably so the crew can get a free trip!) like Cold Feet and The Bill. Then you get celebrity specials like Billy Connolly's World Tour etc - plus of course there's the effect of the Aussie soaps - Neighbours and Home and Away.
The Sydney Olympics probably helped, too.

Naturally none of these programs ever feature anything unattractive - it's mostly sun, sand, blue sky and the Opera House!

I think that Canada is just not as familiar to people in the UK as Australia. There are fewer Canadian icons, landmarks or instantly recognisable features. I think that people in the UK don't really know much about Canada apart from the stereotypes (Mounties and Rockies). I know that I didn't - and the general perception is probably that it's just like a snowier version of the U.S.

There you go - Canada needs to produce a couple of trashy soap operas and invite Billy Connolly over!
Very edifying - thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:09 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by oceanMDX
Just curious how many of you considered Canada vs. Australia as potential places to immigrate to, and why you chose Australia?

Canada, Beautifull Country Bloody cold in winter. TV crap.
Stuck in doors in winter with crap TV.

Australia Beautifull Country, Lovely and hot. TV crap.
not stuck in doors in winter with crap TV.

Australia Wins.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada beautiful,Michael Buble. But COLD.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:23 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by oceanMDX
Just curious how many of you considered Canada vs. Australia as potential places to immigrate to
No. I'm not shagging a Canadian.

Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

We are very urban types and considered both - even applied to migrate to Canada years ago after checking out Toronto.

Canada seems like a great place but the application process was so slow with no feedback at any point of the way! After a few months waiting to hear we'd had time to reconsider and cancel the application.

Reasons:

Too cold - glad we didn't move there now as we have a toddler who hates wearing much clothing esp gloves or hats!

Too much work ethic like USA - we like to work hard but also have a life - 2 weeks annual holiday is hardly generous

Too little visibility of Canadians on the world scene - seems a bit abstract but successful Canadians are often assumed to be from the US. As others have mentioned, Aussies have more presence in the UK than Canadians and we could come up with a much longer list of Aussie bands, actors and so on that were famous on the world scene. I'm sure there are plenty of successful Canadian exports but Canada sure needs better PR!

Too nice - we like the rough edges of tell it straight Aussies. Something about Canada seemed too wholesome - healthy, hardworking, polite, low-key. I guess those should be good points but...

Too many guns - Canada's gun culture may be way better than the USA but it's still in a different league to Oz
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:35 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Canada, Beautifull Country Bloody cold in winter. TV crap.
Stuck in doors in winter with crap TV.

Australia Beautifull Country, Lovely and hot. TV crap.
not stuck in doors in winter with crap TV.

Australia Wins.

But in Oz you'll be spending 6 months of the year to avoid in the intense heat and sunburn.

So in either country, you'll be spending 6 months of the year inside!

Apparently....
Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:57 pm
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a look at Vancouver (we have family there) after deciding we wanted to emigrate - inspired by visiting family a few times in Sydney & having travelled around a bit.

Personally I thought that British Columbia was awesome - it was really like a last great wilderness. The weather is a bind, but I doubt if you could consider the canadians any less "outdoorsy" than the australians - but they probably have a larger Gore tex budget. You get REAL seasons over there which I like (hard winters, warm summers)

We didn't like the fact that you get two weeks hols a year for visiting folks back home, or having people over to stay. That said it is very accessible from the UK so shorter trips are feasible.

I would happily have moved there. Not so much for the city (it doesn't have Sydney's X - factor) but for the sheer diversity of landscape and awe - inspiring scenery. There is quite a "work" ethic, but no worse than the UK rat race.

All in all, the missus wasn't as keen, so we made a "family" call and went for Oz. My only stipulation was that we have many trips to Thredbo or S Island NZ to get my snowboarding fix!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Canada v Australia

We tried Canada first, no chance. Australia no problem, step right up sir come this way.

Keel
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:46 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally posted by keel
Canada v Australia

We tried Canada first, no chance. Australia no problem, step right up sir come this way.

Keel
Just what do you mean by "no chance"?

Thanks for all the replies so far, they're all very interesting.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It's about time they did some TV shows, to show what Canada is really like

Are there some warm areas there ?
We have not seen snow since Xmas. It can get cold but not for long a couple of weeks.....all my plants outside are coming up. Trees are full of buds..... I'm wearing my spring coat....rain sometimes not much tho........Summer they say is going to be hot it was in the 40's last year............I dont live Back- East that is a differant story. ...I would'nt like that much snow either.........
I live 300 miles from Vancouver so dont get the rain they do....Did i mention I love the place.............
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:45 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

To French for my liking