Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia over Canada?

Why Australia over Canada?

Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:39 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Why Australia over Canada?

Just curious how many of you considered Canada vs. Australia as potential places to immigrate to, and why you chose Australia?
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:44 am
wombat42

Sun, surf and Sex.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why Australia over Canada?

Originally posted by oceanMDX
Just curious how many of you considered Canada vs. Australia as potential places to immigrate to, and why you chose Australia?
My image of Canada is Snow & Cold

It didn't even get a consideration

Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Celine Dion, Brian Adams vs Peter Andre, ACDC
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am leaving Canada to go to Australia.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
My image of Canada is Snow & Cold

It didn't even get a consideration

Oh please.........
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jeannie
Oh please.........
It's about time they did some TV shows, to show what Canada is really like

Are there some warm areas there ?

Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Likewise I never even considered Canada as it is FREEZING for half of the year. I wanted to be able to spend more time outside, not spend my time digging my car out of the snow!

Did you see 'no going back' or similar on the Canadian emigrants. There was snow galore and they were housebound for 3 months in the winter - no thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Think of the skiing. Snow is not bad for all.
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Australian Antarctic Territory - Canada DownUnder x 10:

Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
It's about time they did some TV shows, to show what Canada is really like

Are there some warm areas there ?
There are warm areas in the summer. Southern ontario gets to be around 24 - 30 C. People from BC will say it's really mild there, and it can be, as long as you don't mind not seeing blue sky for many weeks at a time. It does snow there though. I moved to BC from Miami, and the pictures I saw were all sunny and blue sky. Totally misleading!!! Don't get me wrong though, Canada is a great place. If you like skiing, it's terrific. The rockies are great, and there are a lot of nice cottage areas in Northern Ontario, but if you like real beaches, sand and palm trees, you won't find it in Canada.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Think of the skiing. Snow is not bad for all.
If I can break a leg on ONE roller skate, there is no way of getting me on Skis !!

Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:16 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by SentApril2002
There are warm areas in the summer. Southern ontario gets to be around 24 - 30 C. People from BC will say it's really mild there, and it can be, as long as you don't mind not seeing blue sky for many weeks at a time. It does snow there though. I moved to BC from Miami, and the pictures I saw were all sunny and blue sky. Totally misleading!!! Don't get me wrong though, Canada is a great place. If you like skiing, it's terrific. The rockies are great, and there are a lot of nice cottage areas in Northern Ontario, but if you like real beaches, sand and palm trees, you won't find it in Canada.
You're a little low regarding the peak summer temperature for southern Ontario - it gets to about 35 deg. C. with very high humidity.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by oceanMDX
You're a little low regarding the peak summer temperature for southern Ontario - it gets to about 35 deg. C. with very high humidity.
35 is rare, I'm in Southern Ontario right now. Last summer wasn't that humid.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt if Canada is quite so 'in your face' as Australia is, in the UK. They get endless TV programs about people migrating/buying houses in Australia and following their progress (good and bad). Ordinary TV programs seem to incorporate Australian storylines quite frequently (probably so the crew can get a free trip!) like Cold Feet and The Bill. Then you get celebrity specials like Billy Connolly's World Tour etc - plus of course there's the effect of the Aussie soaps - Neighbours and Home and Away.
The Sydney Olympics probably helped, too.

Naturally none of these programs ever feature anything unattractive - it's mostly sun, sand, blue sky and the Opera House!

I think that Canada is just not as familiar to people in the UK as Australia. There are fewer Canadian icons, landmarks or instantly recognisable features. I think that people in the UK don't really know much about Canada apart from the stereotypes (Mounties and Rockies). I know that I didn't - and the general perception is probably that it's just like a snowier version of the U.S.

There you go - Canada needs to produce a couple of trashy soap operas and invite Billy Connolly over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.