Reload this Page >

Why Australia is Expensive?

Why Australia is Expensive?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

alvin77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Why Australia is Expensive?

Hi All,

I personally feel that (in my opinion) that Australia is expensive(grocessory,garments etc.) when I compare it to US or UK?Why its like that.

The house rent in Sydney is comparable to NewYork or Los Angeles. The temperature in Melbourne,Sydney and Perth in Summers go upto 40C-45C and normally the rental houses doesn't even have ceiling fan. In US or UK when we rent an accomodation mostly we get furnished kitchen whereas in Australia normally rental accomodation doesn't have any refridgerators etc. in kitchen.

Australian market also lack famous brands/variety like Harrods', Marks and spencer, etc. etc.

Why we dont get quality rental accomodation in affordable price in Australia?

Last edited by alvin77; Jan 18th 2010 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia is Expensive?

Its because Australia is Australia and we are one of the only countries to live on the so called level playing field. We have no European Union subsidising out farmers in fact there are very few subsidies provided by our government.

Its also because its a very large country with high infrastructure costs due to size and the small population.

As for the furnished rentals you can get them in Sydney but they have never been popular in Melbourne.

If you require all mod cons when renting then you need to look at the properties with higher rent.

Why oh why do a lot of people expect Australia to be like the country they are moving from and have the same shops and goods. We migrated for difference not same.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Petals

Why oh why do a lot of people expect Australia to be like the country they are moving from and have the same shops and goods. We migrated for difference not same.
I don't think expect it to be the same. They are definitely sold the expectation that at the very least their standard of living will be the same or better. Unfortunately for a lot moving from western Europe or North America the reduction in the standard of living is a shock!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alvin77
Hi All,

I personally feel that (in my opinion) that Australia is expensive(grocessory,garments etc.) when I compare it to US or UK?Why its like that.

The house rent in Sydney is comparable to NewYork or Los Angeles. The temperature in Melbourne,Sydney and Perth in Summers go upto 40C-45C and normally the rental houses doesn't even have ceiling fan. In US or UK when we rent an accomodation mostly we get furnished kitchen whereas in Australia normally rental accomodation doesn't have any refridgerators etc. in kitchen.

Australian market also lack famous brands/variety like Harrods', Marks and spencer, etc. etc.

It's perhaps self evident why Australia does not have British institution shopping chains or an iconic single British store. This is Australia and not London or anywhere else in the UK.

Why does the UK not have Myer, or David Jones ?

As to quality rentals, I never had a problem. My first rental here was a brand new house with all appliances and so on. I'm not suggesting that rents are cheap for a moment, but its market forces that determine the level of rents which people are prepared to pay ultimately.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
I don't think expect it to be the same. They are definitely sold the expectation that at the very least their standard of living will be the same or better. Unfortunately for a lot moving from western Europe or North America the reduction in the standard of living is a shock!
I don't think its any great secret that we don't have Harrods or Marks and Sparks here. Anybody doing even the smallest bit of research before moving here would be aware that this country has a certain standard of living. To decide on if its better or worse than somewhere else would be a subjective matter. To me, its better than our lives in England. However, I do agree that its expensive. To be fair though, I think the cheapness of some items in the UK has led to consumers not being very responsible in what they buy. Food wastage, throw away society etc.

I have certainly found since being here that I tend to just buy what I need and am less hung up about brands, shopping sprees etc. In that respect, I still prefer Australia to the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Its because Australia is Australia and we are one of the only countries to live on the so called level playing field. We have no European Union subsidising out farmers in fact there are very few subsidies provided by our government.
Actually EU agriculture policies (the dreaded CAP etc) are often credited with artificially inflating the cost of groceries.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Australian market also lack famous brands/variety like Harrods
How many towns & cities in the UK have a Harrods then?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:48 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

its nothing to do with subsidies and all to do with the fact that only two companies control 80% of the supermarkets so they charge whatever the market will stand, farmers here get paid less than a sixth of what these big two sell the produce for so forget level playing feilds etc its all a myth

if you want cheap veggies, cheese or fruit go to your local growers or farmers markets

for example if your local to me ( goldcoast qld )
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_st....aspx?PID=7332

regards steve
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Sounds like the UK or US is the place for you then.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:06 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
It's perhaps self evident why Australia does not have British institution shopping chains or an iconic single British store. This is Australia and not London or anywhere else in the UK.

Why does the UK not have Myer, or David Jones ?
That's such a dull and ultimately empty answer. OBVIOUSLY Australia is not London - we know that. No one is actually saying ''why isn't Sydney identical to London?'' - they are asking why something is absent/different in Australia, which surely they are allowed to consider.

We can still ask why Australia lacks something that the UK has without saying that we want them to be identical - that response is lazy, cheap and predictable. It doesn't answer the question but merely evades it. If an Aussie asked why the check-out assistants don't automatically pack your bags for you in UK supermarkets I wouldn't turn around to them and say ''cos this is the UK and not Australia''. Why?? Cos that's a childish retort and not an answer.

And why does the UK not have Myer or David Jones???!! That's easy!!! Cos they're crap compared to the equivalents in the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:10 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

I think Aussies going to the UK and moaning about how expensive it supposedly is are doing their own country a great disservice in the long run because as a result of all that Brits come to Australia expecting this cheap paradise and the reality is that Australia is not really that different overall to the UK anymore. Individual items may be cheaper/more expensive but it works out to be roughly the same when you take everything into account.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
That's such a dull and ultimately empty answer. OBVIOUSLY Australia is not London - we know that. No one is actually saying ''why isn't Sydney identical to London?'' - they are asking why something is absent/different in Australia, which surely they are allowed to consider.

We can still ask why Australia lacks something that the UK has without saying that we want them to be identical - that response is lazy, cheap and predictable. It doesn't answer the question but merely evades it. If an Aussie asked why the check-out assistants don't automatically pack your bags for you in UK supermarkets I wouldn't turn around to them and say ''cos this is the UK and not Australia''. Why?? Cos that's a childish retort and not an answer.

And why does the UK not have Myer or David Jones???!! That's easy!!! Cos they're crap compared to the equivalents in the UK.
What a nasty post.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think Aussies going to the UK and moaning about how expensive it supposedly is are doing their own country a great disservice in the long run because as a result of all that Brits come to Australia expecting this cheap paradise and the reality is that Australia is not really that different overall to the UK anymore. Individual items may be cheaper/more expensive but it works out to be roughly the same when you take everything into account.
Surely the price of goods when you travel just depends on the exchange rate at the time?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:16 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Would'nt you say this whole topic is dull.......

Obviously people havn't done enough research on Australia b4 deciding its the place for them.
You don't know if you can live here until you've tried, which is fair enough, but you can research about everything else (rentals / supermarket prices / etc etc ) just whinging pom syndrome again
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:18 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid thing to say.....thats it blame it on the aussie tourists....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.