Why Australia?

Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia?

Ah, it's turned into the most ****ing tedious thread genre.

Comparison.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brit Princess xxx
What points could I make that shows that Australia is a better option than England?
Originally Posted by DeadVim
Ah, it's turned into the most ****ing tedious thread genre.

Comparison.
Not surprising really, with such an opening question

Old Jun 27th 2010, 4:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not surprising really, with such an opening question
Fair point well made ... maybe I'll confine myself to threads about solar eclipses and gigs ... I'll leave the tedium to itself
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Couldn't have said it better (whole post).

(Specifically - 53k is a literal pittance. It's sort of what you get in your second job after school and maybe your first grad job. Only salaries I have seen lower are for 16-17 year olds or for unskilled jobs. Literally unskilled.)

What planet are you on? $53k is not a literal pittance, many couples manage on this alone and manage to get by. I am in a very skilled job, yet get less than this because the area I am in is over-populated by people in my industry.

What kind of after school job pays over a grand a week? Get a grip
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smudger82
What planet are you on? $53k is not a literal pittance, many couples manage on this alone and manage to get by. I am in a very skilled job, yet get less than this because the area I am in is over-populated by people in my industry.

What kind of after school job pays over a grand a week? Get a grip
Agreed. That is what your average employed tradesman will be on.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

But that's only one example, of one possible, but unnamed, council area, and my newspaper headline shows: Redland water bills to rise 2.95 per cent July 2010

So that 66% of yours is not representative of everywhere.

I would hate to be paying water bills in South West England, with their average of £721 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0s1GOTRE1 Much cheaper in the Thames area though at only £320
Without trying to add to the tedium, I was doing online banking this morning and have some figures of the essential bills we pay per month:-

Water (metered) - £34

Council Tax - £179

TV License - £12.12

Gas - £55

Elec - £110

Beer - £300

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 27th 2010 at 6:36 am.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The point I am making is compare like for like ( I don't think your St Kilda comparisons are - I know this area, and it's not Kensington or Fulham)! You fail to do that by just saying Australia is cheaper than England. Which bits? Read the forum, there are potential immigrants from England who think they are going to get more for their money and others who think they are going to get less - I'm not suggesting it's clear cut. I've seen recent threads where examples of ordinary '3 bed detached bungalows' in ordinary suburbs of Melbourne at $900k+, with other properties elsewhere closer to half that. I've given one example, it's where I live...is that so hard to understand? Then you go on to suggest cherry picking an example that suits your point of view!
My point is clear, I think. To reiterate, there is little difference between Australia and the UK, only that is Australia decent properties closer to the cities are cheaper than in the UK. Fuel is cheaper in Australia, council tax is generally cheaper and shopping is cheaper - about the same in a Coles/WW/Sainsbury's comparison with current crashed sterling, or significantly cheaper with a normal exchange rate. This is objective fact, not opinion.

If people claim the UK is absolutely cheaper then this must be because of the products they buy; perhaps they eat a lot of stilton and drink a lot of London Pride, I don't know.

Whoever said this was a tedious thread is right - it is. I know that for me and the fresh food I buy that Australia is cheaper. I pay less income tax in Australia, less council tax, less fuel costs and less at the supermarket. I pay more for books and beer.

The original poster wanted, presumably, fair, honest and objective posts about Australia, and this is what I have provided, away from the hysterical babblings of those who want to move back to the UK and are full of hate.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21

The original poster wanted, presumably, fair, honest and objective posts about Australia, and this is what I have provided, away from the hysterical babblings of those who want to move back to the UK and are full of hate.

I must have been reading another thread. I have only seen slightly hysterical babblings about groceries being cheaper in Australia.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have only seen slightly hysterical babblings about groceries being cheaper in Australia.
That's what I was thinking!

But there ya go OP, Seneca has THE facts - hasn't bothered to substantiate any of them, but nonetheless, who's to argue!

Now, better go and book my ticket back to the UK....shame, cos I rather like it here!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I must have been reading another thread. I have only seen slightly hysterical babblings about groceries being cheaper in Australia.
Originally Posted by bcworld
That's what I was thinking!

But there ya go OP, Seneca has THE facts - hasn't bothered to substantiate any of them, but nonetheless, who's to argue!

Now, better go and book my ticket back to the UK....shame, cos I rather like it here!

I'm sure Seneca21 meant historical babblings.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:25 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

My point is clear, I think. To reiterate, there is little difference between Australia and the UK, only that is Australia decent properties closer to the cities are cheaper than in the UK. Fuel is cheaper in Australia, council tax is generally cheaper and shopping is cheaper - about the same in a Coles/WW/Sainsbury's comparison with current crashed sterling, or significantly cheaper with a normal exchange rate. This is objective fact, not opinion.

If people claim the UK is absolutely cheaper then this must be because of the products they buy; perhaps they eat a lot of stilton and drink a lot of London Pride, I don't know.

Whoever said this was a tedious thread is right - it is. I know that for me and the fresh food I buy that Australia is cheaper. I pay less income tax in Australia, less council tax, less fuel costs and less at the supermarket. I pay more for books and beer.

Congratulations, you're in. Pick up your certificate at the door. Here is your default avatar.
Attached Thumbnails Why Australia?-godzone.jpg  
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I better start saving,i like a lot of lettuce
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I love it here and wouldn't go back for all the tea in China, but the UK is cheaper for most things now. Plenty of things cheaper here though and it makes no odds to me if the UK is cheaper overall because I don't live there.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Without trying to add to the tedium, I was doing online banking this morning and have some figures of the essential bills we pay per month:-

Water (metered) - £34
Council Tax - £179
TV License - £12.12
Gas - £55
Elec - £110
Beer - £300
Just comparing your Gas & Elec of £165 combined, to mine of $172 per month averaged over 6 months.

Your Council Tax and Water of £213 combined to our Rates and Water of $232 pm averaged over 6 months.

No TV License of course, they choose not to charge for that (TV licence rebellion maybe ? )

Those two things = 8.08% of our gross household monthly earned income

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:44 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Just comparing your Gas & Elec of £165 combined, to mine of $172 per month averaged over 6 months.

Your Council Tax and Water of £213 combined to our Rates and Water of $232 pm averaged over 6 months.

No TV License of course, they choose not to charge for that (TV licence rebellion maybe ? )

Those two things = 8.08% of our gross household monthly earned income
I guess it depend's where in the UK you are. Last year our monthly bills (on average) were:

Water (unmetered) - £18
Council Tax - £98
TV License - £11
Gas - £6.88
Elec - £44.81

Can't imagine it changing that much in a year.

Last edited by coolshadows; Jun 27th 2010 at 9:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.