Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Aussie wine dearer in Oz than in Sainsburys?

Wikiposts

Why is Aussie wine dearer in Oz than in Sainsburys?

Old Oct 12th 2003, 4:38 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Why is Aussie wine dearer in Oz than in Sainsburys?

Just thought I'd ask why some or most of the Aussie wine sold here is far more expensive than it is in Sainsburys?
My dad was over on holiday to visit us and pointed this out to the shop assistant (he can be very embarassing!).
The wine we buy cost about 4 pounds a bottle in the Uk but here, where its made it costs about $12.99 a bottle (roughly 5 pounds 50p)

Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:25 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Why is Aussie wine dearer in Oz than in Sainsburys?

Originally posted by janeyray
<snip>
The wine we buy cost about 4 pounds a bottle in the Uk but here, where its made it costs about $12.99 a bottle (roughly 5 pounds 50p)
That may well be the case, however are you sure you are comparing like-for-like ?. I can see a few $7,$8,$9 bottles in the bottleshops here in South Aus. I also bought quite a few SA wines from Tesco to practice on and they tended to be £7-£15. The £4.99 stuff at Tesco tended to be Tesco branded.

You can of course go to the cellar door shops here in Aus and pick up some quality wines in the $10 range.

I asked at one of Hardy's cellar doors for a red that I liked in the "Stamp of Australia" range. It turns out it's for export only, so I can't get it here, not even under a different label.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd ask why some or most of the Aussie wine sold here is far more expensive than it is in Sainsburys?
My dad was over on holiday to visit us and pointed this out to the shop assistant (he can be very embarassing!).
It to do with the marketing strategy with regard to the medium to high quality wines.

The cheaper end of the market is, well, cheap (but still good to drink) but the Aussies are trying to break in to the middle to high quality end of the European market and are selling their wines very cheaply to get market share.

That's why.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

ozvideo is an unknown quantity at this point

When we were over in the UK 4 years ago, we noticed that it was atleast double the price in the UK, when you compare the same product!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The changing exchange rates will temporarilly make OZ wines seem more expensive down under. Another factor coming into play in the increasing dominance of the chains of liqor stores and the discounting. We just get what is on special and save a fortune.

The way to shop here is to know the specials.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

You can't beat a 5 litre cask for 10 dollars.

Gives you heartburn & headaches though!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I'm sure we are paying over the odds for many things here in WA. I've not really worked it out (I don't think I want to know!) I do know I find it harder to budget here than I did in the UK and we don't have a mortgage here - :scared:

Spoke to my mum the other day and she picked up some electrical appliances for their caravan, a toaster, electric kettle and microwave from ASDA for just £40, I couldn't believe how cheap!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:16 pm

Originally posted by ozvideo

And a night to remember that you do not remember.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Action are selling stuff cheap these days, not sure if you could squeeze a microwave in though for that price.
I think they were $99 when they were on special.

They have been selling eletric drills, sander, angle grinders etc for $19,99 just lately.

Whats this gotta do with wine?
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:25 pm

Originally posted by Kath
I'm sure we are paying over the odds for many things here in WA. I've not really worked it out (I don't think I want to know!) I do know I find it harder to budget here than I did in the UK and we don't have a mortgage here - :scared:

Spoke to my mum the other day and she picked up some electrical appliances for their caravan, a toaster, electric kettle and microwave from ASDA for just £40, I couldn't believe how cheap!
The drop in pound/increase in dollar and the pressure of the rip off Britain campaigns will make Britain on par with a lot of other places. Price pressure in the UK is now intense.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Action are selling stuff cheap these days, not sure if you could squeeze a microwave in though for that price.
I think they were $99 when they were on special.

They have been selling eletric drills, sander, angle grinders etc for $19,99 just lately.

Whats this gotta do with wine?
Only got a small Action near us, they have a few budget things on offer.

I think it's better to stay on the subject of wine, there have been too many posts about the cost of living in Aus compared to UK and it gets a bit boring, you just can't compare as people spend their money so differently.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

They wanna start making it in China - They'll soon get the prices down.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 6:36 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

It always comes back to the goon!!!