Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are'nt you using the Wiki ?

Why are'nt you using the Wiki ?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:35 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Question Why are'nt you using the Wiki ?

Recently britishexpats added a Wiki section to this site. I've added some stuff and a couple of others have added a little, but compared to say the US section of the Wiki we're pretty poor at filling the thing.

If you've ever used Wikipedia to look up something then you'll reckognise the style. Basically anyone and everyone can add content (factual information, not jokes or blogs etc) to create a definitive source of information on Australia for potential immigrants as well as expats already here.

Add a little bit of info about your part of Aus. If everyone contributes a small part it'll soon grow into something useful, and whenever someone comes asking for information in the forums, the Wiki should be good enough to be the one and only link needed to answer most questions.

Have a go !
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are'nt you using the Wiki ?

only takes one person to start the ball rolling...but the frame works been set out now, so it's a lot easier for people...getting that US and ME section rolling was a major pain in the bum, but it's getting into shape nicely...plenty out here, shouldn't be hard to fill Oz up either
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

I added an article counter to the front wiki page earlier and it was at 99. It's now at 100, so it's working.

I'm also thinking of adding headers to each forum that will contain links to wiki articles specific to that forum. All those out of date those sticky threads can go and everyone can help keep it all up to date via the wiki.

It might also encourage people to explore the wiki and maybe contribute in other areas.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:24 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul
I added an article counter to the front wiki page earlier and it was at 99. It's now at 100, so it's working.
I think that was me though.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also thinking of adding headers to each forum that will contain links to wiki articles specific to that forum. All those out of date those sticky threads can go and everyone can help keep it all up to date via the wiki.

It might also encourage people to explore the wiki and maybe contribute in other areas.
That'll be a cool idea
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That'll be a cool idea
In the meantime I'll superglue this to the top of the Aus forum
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshpom
Recently britishexpats added a Wiki section to this site. I've added some stuff and a couple of others have added a little, but compared to say the US section of the Wiki we're pretty poor at filling the thing.

If you've ever used Wikipedia to look up something then you'll reckognise the style. Basically anyone and everyone can add content (factual information, not jokes or blogs etc) to create a definitive source of information on Australia for potential immigrants as well as expats already here.

Add a little bit of info about your part of Aus. If everyone contributes a small part it'll soon grow into something useful, and whenever someone comes asking for information in the forums, the Wiki should be good enough to be the one and only link needed to answer most questions.

Have a go !
I think a lot more people would use it if it was accessible at the top of the forum where the links to immigration/barbie/meetups/updates are.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Mar 21st 2007 at 7:55 pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
I think a lot more people would use it if it was accessible at the top of the forum where the links to immigration/barbie/meetups/updates are.
well it is up top, the very top..and it's for the whole site ain't it...so that's just a bit lazy if people can't be bothered...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well it is up top, the very top..and it's for the whole site ain't it...so that's just a bit lazy if people can't be bothered...
But wasn't that the point of the OP? People aren't bothering to contribute: I just felt that if the link to the Wiki was in with the barbie/immigration etc. links then more people may look there. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

... I just felt that if the link to the Wiki was in with the barbie/immigration etc. links then more people may look there. Just my opinion.
That's only applicable to the Australian section. There's a whole site outside that forum.

Besides, people never read the announcements when they're at the top of the forum in big red bold text. What makes you think they'd read the Wiki links.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

What makes you think they'd read the Wiki links.
i'm just an optimist at heart.

what makes you so positive they wouldn't?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

i'm just an optimist at heart.

what makes you so positive they wouldn't?
no one reads the announcements, no one reads the faq's, no one reads site rules....
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

If you want an answer to the thread title - I don't know about others but my feeling was that contributing would be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as 'he thinks he's an expert' (tall poppy syndrome) and not having done it before it looked like there was a bit of stuff to wade through to find out how to do it so I haven't bothered. There is also a Search facility on the site anyway and what guarantee is there of the accuracy and quality of information (like any Wiki)? Can entries be hacked into and changed by others for malicious or puerile reasons? Some thoughts FWIW, address them and I might contribute!

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If you want an answer to the thread title - I don't know about others but my feeling was that contributing would be perceived (rightly or wrongly) as 'he thinks he's an expert' (tall poppy syndrome) and not having done it before it looked like there was a bit of stuff to wade through to find out how to do it so I haven't bothered. There is also a Search facility on the site anyway and what guarantee is there of the accuracy and quality of information (like any Wiki)? Can entries be hacked into and changed by others for malicious or puerile reasons? Some thoughts FWIW, address them and I might contribute!

OzTennis
true...but unless you say you posted something on the wiki, no one will know unless they look at the history...and you've got to be a member to post in it and all that.

As for how to do it, it ain't hard, just write stuff and it's there, once it's there, anyone can edit it to make it look nice...if no one can be bothered, then everyone looses out.

Plus people don't do a search through the forums, but if the info is in a central section, you can just point them to the wiki.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
...There is also a Search facility on the site anyway and what guarantee is there of the accuracy and quality of information (like any Wiki)? ...
You have the same guarantee of accuracy as you do with forum posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.