Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why aren't the prices of imported cars falling?

Why aren't the prices of imported cars falling?

Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why aren't the prices of imported cars falling?

Just wondering really, the Aus $ is up something like 30% against the pound or the US $ so why aren't Jags/Land Rovers or Jeeps falling by a similar amount?

Has anyone had success negotiating 30%ish discounts on similar vehicles?

(Fancy another Land Rover, like the one I had in the UK).
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why aren't the prices of imported cars falling?

Originally Posted by freebo
Just wondering really, the Aus $ is up something like 30% against the pound or the US $ so why aren't Jags/Land Rovers or Jeeps falling by a similar amount?

Has anyone had success negotiating 30%ish discounts on similar vehicles?

(Fancy another Land Rover, like the one I had in the UK).
This is Australia!

I would imagine that deals are done between the dealers/carmakers a long time before they are delivered - at the exchange rate that is available at that time. Prices should be come down in the future - maybe.

As I have said on here before, VWs are virtually the same price here as they are in the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is Australia!

I would imagine that deals are done between the dealers/carmakers a long time before they are delivered - at the exchange rate that is available at that time. Prices should be come down in the future - maybe.

As I have said on here before, VWs are virtually the same price here as they are in the UK.
Aston Martins aren't...

Thanks to the govt's protectionist luxury car tax and other extortionate fees and duties.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Aston Martins aren't...

Thanks to the govt's protectionist luxury car tax and other extortionate fees and duties.
Which is why I only used VW as an example......

A DB9 is a bit out of my league unfortunately! A Porsche 911 here is double the German price. Luxury car tax has got something to do with this but mainly it's because Porsche Australia can get away with it due to their compliant/conditioned customers.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Why aren't most of the Oz prices falling?

Because consumers here are dumb and don't think to ask nasty questions of who's now raking in the cash. In general prices seem to be predicated on a $2.30=£1 type rate, rather than the parlous rate we really have.

eg
Code:
                            UK (in A$)                                  Oz
                          inc 17.5% VAT                           inc 10% GST
PlayTV                           $56                                   $135
Toshiba 42"                     $624                                   $888
IronMan 2 BD                     $24                                   $34
all of which are imported.
And don't even start on that key phrase that makes aussies bend over "....Australian made for Australian conditions".

If Australian TV wanted to do a real expose, they'd be showing just how much the importers are coining it in.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by GarryP
Why aren't most of the Oz prices falling?

Because consumers here are dumb and don't think to ask nasty questions of who's now raking in the cash. In general prices seem to be predicated on a $2.30=£1 type rate, rather than the parlous rate we really have.

eg
Code:
                            UK (in A$)                                  Oz
                          inc 17.5% VAT                           inc 10% GST
PlayTV                           $56                                   $135
Toshiba 42"                     $624                                   $888
IronMan 2 BD                     $24                                   $34
all of which are imported.
And don't even start on that key phrase that makes aussies bend over "....Australian made for Australian conditions".

If Australian TV wanted to do a real expose, they'd be showing just how much the importers are coining it in.
Swings and roundabouts with this kind of product I'm afraid. I posted recently about buying a 500Gb USB HD for $79 but the cheapest I could find online in the UK was $96. A 55" Samsung LED LCD TV was $600 cheaper in Australia. The ipad is cheaper here too.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Which is why I only used VW as an example......

A DB9 is a bit out of my league unfortunately! A Porsche 911 here is double the German price. Luxury car tax has got something to do with this but mainly it's because Porsche Australia can get away with it due to their compliant/conditioned customers.
A V8 Vantage is about the same price as a 911 (in the UK).
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:50 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Swings and roundabouts with this kind of product I'm afraid. I posted recently about buying a 500Gb USB HD for $79 but the cheapest I could find online in the UK was $96. A 55" Samsung LED LCD TV was $600 cheaper in Australia. The ipad is cheaper here too.
Trust me, its not.

The number of things that can be picked up cheaper in Oz can be counted on the fingers of one hand (if you've been playing with the bacon slicer).

As a for instance, 500GB USB external HD = $64 in UK
55" Samsung LED TV = $2200 in UK (no idea how much you paid)
32GB iPad = $758 in UK, $756 in Oz, mainly because Apple keep tight control of the price and rip everyone off equally...

People need to stop giving Australian retailers an easy life. Buy and import everything you can - it will usually be cheaper, better selection, and its the only way they are going to improve.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Swings and roundabouts with this kind of product I'm afraid. I posted recently about buying a 500Gb USB HD for $79 but the cheapest I could find online in the UK was $96.
I just had a quick look, and found two different 1TB USB HDs in the UK for approx that price (AU$79), as well as a 500GB USD HD, that you mention, at the same price.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
People need to stop giving Australian retailers an easy life. Buy and import everything you can - it will usually be cheaper, better selection, and its the only way they are going to improve.
And because of this, there is now talk of reducing the $1,000 threshold before GST is charged on imports, down to $400.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I just had a quick look, and found two different 1TB USB HDs in the UK for approx that price (AU$79), as well as a 500GB USD HD, that you mention, at the same price.
WD 500Gb Passport Essential - prices changing all the time.

Officeworks - $79:
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Data-Storage/Pocket-Hard-Drives/WDAA0500BK

UK internet - $88
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/search?sortBy=totalprice&view=List&siteSearchQuery =500gb+passport+essential+usb&fromform=true

Lowest UK price is plus delivery. OW is local store.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

And because of this, there is now talk of reducing the $1,000 threshold before GST is charged on imports, down to $400.

This is disturbing talk indeed. Do you have a source for it? Sounds very protectionist to me...

S
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This is disturbing talk indeed. Do you have a source for it? Sounds very protectionist to me...

S
End of last week, the australian? i think, article got huge feedback, something like 350 comments.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It was on the 7pm Project the other night, and you also find mention of it online if you do a search. Local retailers are calling for it to protect themselves!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It was on the 7pm Project the other night, and you also find mention of it online if you do a search. Local retailers are calling for it to protect themselves!

Well if they provided goods and services that approached anything like good value compared to the rest of the world, then people wouldn't be ordering overseas would they.

It's not calculating re-entry trajectories is it? I fracking despair at this place at times.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.