Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Adelaide never on TV?

Why is Adelaide never on TV?

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 10:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a sister in law there who is a doctor. Generalising a bit but she reckons Adelaide types are either hyper conservative and/or nutcases.

I wonder what the ASPC workers are like. Maybe you should put a bit of mental disturbance on your medical to get a sympathy vote.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:37 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Adelaide never on TV

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Well A/B heres one theory www.abc.net.au/sa/news/200309/s942606.htm .......... MM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So whats your opinion MM? It dosent make great reading does it.

How do you find Adelaide?

How would you describe it.

A breeding ground for Murderers
A hot house enviroment.
A nice place to live (however long that may be)

Your opinion would be interesting.

Cheers. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Well A/B i have lived here for 41 yrs, after living in a small Dorset village for the first 10 yrs of my life, so comparing things is hard, but in the early 80, s i spent 3 months traveling around Sth Africa, and comparing Adelaide to Johanesburg, Adelaide wins hands down , i think any were in the world has its ,problems but if sit around all day wondering what if,! you will achieve nothing , Adelaide has more good points than ,bad so take the chance.... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
Well A/B i have lived here for 41 yrs, after living in a small Dorset village for the first 10 yrs of my life, so comparing things is hard, but in the early 80, s i spent 3 months traveling around Sth Africa, and comparing Adelaide to Johanesburg, Adelaide wins hands down , i think any were in the world has its ,problems but if sit around all day wondering what if,! you will achieve nothing , Adelaide has more good points than ,bad so take the chance.... MM
Comparing one murder capital with another. Most cities look favorable compared to Jo burg. I have an Aunt and a gran there who are desperate to get out and back to Britain. The only thing stopping them is a life on the poverty line in the UK.

Have you been to any other Oz cities?
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:51 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Comparing one murder capital with another. Most cities look favorable compared to Jo burg. I have an Aunt and a gran there who are desperate to get out and back to Britain. The only thing stopping them is a life on the poverty line in the UK.

Have you been to any other Oz cities?
I have an uncle who used to run Reyrolles sth Africa, untill he dies ,[an old colonialist] my Aunt and niece and her husband have "buckleys" of getting out all the money is tied up , whats left of it......... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

i spent 3 months traveling around Sth Africa, and comparing Adelaide to Johanesburg, Adelaide wins hands down . MM

Still having your pathetic little digs at all things South African I see. I am loathe to rise to the bait but I suppose the board does need a bit of livening up.

Comparing Adelaide to Johannesburg is ridiculous. They are totally different in in size, geography, demographics, economics, culture etc.etc. The weather isn't even the same. As someone who has lived in ( and not just visted for three months) both South Africa and Adelaide, I would say that the the closest comparison to a South African city would be Bloemfontein, a boring parochial little city filled with people who Bondipom has described as either "extremley conservative or total nut-cases".

If Johannesburg, Dorset and Adelaide are the sum total of your world experience you have very little room to comment on whether Adelaide is a good place to live or not.

As I have said previously I was transferred here by work and there are many things that I do like about Adelaide, and apart from my horrendous job I mostly enjoy living here. However if I had had my choice I wouldn't have chosen to live here.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:56 am
Banned

Originally posted by Sunlover
Still having your pathetic little digs at all things South African I see. I am loathe to rise to the bait but I suppose the board does need a bit of livening up.

Comparing Adelaide to Johannesburg is ridiculous. They are totally different in in size, geography, demographics, economics, culture etc.etc. The weather isn't even the same. As someone who has lived in ( and not just visted for three months) both South Africa and Adelaide, I would say that the the closest comparison to a South African city would be Bloemfontein, a boring parochial little city filled with people who Bondipom has described as either "extremley conservative or total nut-cases".

If Johannesburg, Dorset and Adelaide are the sum total of your world experience you have very little room to comment on whether Adelaide is a good place to live or not.

As I have said previously I was transferred here by work and there are many things that I do like about Adelaide, and apart from my horrendous job I mostly enjoy living here. However if I had had my choice I wouldn't have chosen to live here.
I thought i was putting this point Across, that the sum ,total of my world Knowledge, consisted of a DORSET village, JOHANESBURG, and the city of ADELAIDE were i have resided for the bulk of my life, i was trying to explain to A/B who asked me to comment, on what i thought about Adelaide.My self being a poorly educated ,northern suburbs furniture removalist you would have understood this , with your obvious world , experience of trying to find a job that you don,t hate and a city that you can tolerate, you come across to me like most of the sth Africans that SANTOS is dragging into the state at the moment, A GIANT CHIP on the shoulder, lighten up if your a female ,pull yer knickers out of your butt CRACK, if your a male LEAVE your self alone at night.......... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:53 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sally1968
My nan has lived in Adelaide all her life and she celebrated her 90th birthday this year!!!

I also have uncles, aunts, cousins all alive and kicking!!!

Sally

Hi Sally
Very hard sometimes to seperate the people with genuine comments against people with an absolute downer on any city other than the city they live in.

I know like any city in the world including the UK people seem to make jokes about people living in other parts of their country or even City. For example people from Manchester dislike People from Liverpool. South Londoners dislike East Londoners etc..

Nice to hear there are still people alive there. We do intend trying to make Adelaide our home.
If it turns out that we find out for our self that half the city is hooked on Crack and it is an unsafe place to live we will move on.

Cheers.

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:06 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

I thought i was putting this point Across, that the sum ,total of my world Knowledge, consisted of a DORSET village, JOHANESBURG, and the city of ADELAIDE were i have resided for the bulk of my life, i was trying to explain to A/B who asked me to comment, on what i thought about Adelaide.My self being a poorly educated ,northern suburbs furniture removalist you would have understood this , with your obvious world , experience of trying to find a job that you don,t hate and a city that you can tolerate, you come across to me like most of the sth Africans that SANTOS is dragging into the state at the moment, A GIANT CHIP on the shoulder, lighten up if your a female ,pull yer knickers out of your butt CRACK, if your a male LEAVE your self alone at night.......... MM

MM
Got your comments. Opinion Valued. Cheers.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:12 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
I don't know why Adelaide is never shown on telly, but I was on telly in Adelaide the other night, does that count? adelaidegirl
AG
You are not one of those murderesses that they are talking about are you??

Seems to be the only way you can get national TV coverage out there.

Cheers.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeepers !

I was only really kidding to a degree - Adelaide has a lot less murders than other places - but the ones they do have are definately weird ! You have had the Truro Murders and lately of course the Snowtown Murders.

It's a nice place and very safe - just so long as a weirdo mass killer doesnt get hold of you

I am sure you will like it just fine - but it does get stinking hot in summer

~Sean

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
AG
You are not one of those murderesses that they are talking about are you??

Seems to be the only way you can get national TV coverage out there.

Cheers.