Why Adelaide ?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Question Why Adelaide ?

Many of you seem to be heading for our fair city.

While I am fond of the place I would suggest that it's probably one of the more difficult places in Australia to get employment, particularly in you are a professional (pseudo or real).

We came here because I had a job waiting. But it took my partner 8 months to get one at his level and in his field.

Meanwhile he had been offered numerous jobs in other States, which seems to indicate that there are more jobs for professionals in other States (yet another sweeping statement).
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:39 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why Adelaide ?

Hello

my husband and I are heading to Adelaide, but if we cannot get employment there we will look for work in Melbourne. My husband is a tradesman (carpet fitter) so hopefully he should not have too much trouble getting work.

The reasons we have chosen Adelaide are to do with climate, distance to other major cities and local facilities (such as theatres, etc). Actually there are tons more reasons why we like the sound of Adelaide, too many to list.

Do you like it there?

Mel
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:10 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

While I didn't actually move to Adelaide (I'm an hour south of the city), here's how I ended up nearby in Goolwa.

I've been asked by the locals "why Goolwa ?" many times so far, so I'm well practiced in listing the reasons.

1) I have no ties to any location and didn't need to look for work, so I started with a map of Australia (never visited the place).

2) I wanted to live NEAR a city but not in one. I hate city life. Cities are great for shopping etc.

3) I studied the historical climate data available online and decided that SA offered the best (for my taste) climate. I wanted seasons but the reverse of those in the UK - long summer, short winter. Dry heat is better than humidity.
The climate data for Kangaroo Island looked ideal to me, shame about needing a ferry to go to the shops in Adelaide though.

Perth looked interesting, but I think it's a tad too hot there for me and also too far from Sydney and Melbourne. I've driven to Melbourne in a day, so know it's within reach e.g. if I fancy going to next year's F1 race.

An hour south of Adelaide knocks 5C off the blistering heat of summer. Last summer it hit 30C on 19 days, 35C on 6, 40C on 1.

4) I surfed the net as well as guide books for nice places just south of Adelaide. I homed in on Victor Harbor and Goolwa. The combination of Australia's biggest freshwater lake system, the Coorong National park and the Southern Ocean all touching each other in one place (Goolwa) sealled it for me.

All I need now is a boat.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:18 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshpom

Thats to be one of our first purchases I little tinny to start off with. The father inlaws given us his old outboard and trailer. Just need to get the licence, buy the boat itself and the safety gear and away we go !

Can't wait !!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:03 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by welshpom
While I didn't actually move to Adelaide (I'm an hour south of the city), here's how I ended up nearby in Goolwa.

I've been asked by the locals "why Goolwa ?" many times so far, so I'm well practiced in listing the reasons.

1) I have no ties to any location and didn't need to look for work, so I started with a map of Australia (never visited the place).

2) I wanted to live NEAR a city but not in one. I hate city life. Cities are great for shopping etc.

3) I studied the historical climate data available online and decided that SA offered the best (for my taste) climate. I wanted seasons but the reverse of those in the UK - long summer, short winter. Dry heat is better than humidity.
The climate data for Kangaroo Island looked ideal to me, shame about needing a ferry to go to the shops in Adelaide though.

Perth looked interesting, but I think it's a tad too hot there for me and also too far from Sydney and Melbourne. I've driven to Melbourne in a day, so know it's within reach e.g. if I fancy going to next year's F1 race.

An hour south of Adelaide knocks 5C off the blistering heat of summer. Last summer it hit 30C on 19 days, 35C on 6, 40C on 1.

4) I surfed the net as well as guide books for nice places just south of Adelaide. I homed in on Victor Harbor and Goolwa. The combination of Australia's biggest freshwater lake system, the Coorong National park and the Southern Ocean all touching each other in one place (Goolwa) sealled it for me.

I did exactly the same. I was also looking at Victor Harbor and Goolwa for a while and it did look beautiful. We're pretty settled on Glenelg or anywhere between Brighton and Henley Beach but then there's the flightpath up there. So it'll probably be between Brighton and Glenelg.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

wow steve didn't realise you were a millionaire ;-)

cheers

richard

p.s rob -do you not work then?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Adelaide flight path as the airport is not exactly inundated with flights.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

of course they said that when they moved londons main airport from croydon to heathrow...

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:01 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Vicky88
Steve

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Adelaide flight path as the airport is not exactly inundated with flights.
Are you near the airport?

I was told that living around West Beach and North Glenelg was pretty noisy. If it's not too bad, then it would widen our search.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

Used to live in Adelaide but not anymore, am in California. Can't really help you with the noise levels, but one thing I have noted every time I go to Adelaide they complain about how bad the traffic is which gives me a real laugh because there isn't really that much so it may be the same with the airport noise.

I was in Glenelg in February and did not notice any airport noise. I do love the area but it would drive me nuts to live there because it is probably the most congested traffic you will encounter in Adelaide.

I prefer Henley Beach or Semaphore to Glenelg as the beach is just as good without so many people around.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by Vicky88
Steve

Used to live in Adelaide but not anymore, am in California. Can't really help you with the noise levels, but one thing I have noted every time I go to Adelaide they complain about how bad the traffic is which gives me a real laugh because there isn't really that much so it may be the same with the airport noise.

I was in Glenelg in February and did not notice any airport noise. I do love the area but it would drive me nuts to live there because it is probably the most congested traffic you will encounter in Adelaide.

I prefer Henley Beach or Semaphore to Glenelg as the beach is just as good without so many people around.
Thanks for the advice, Henley Beach did look good to me as well, pretty central and not to far from the city for work.

Thanks again,

Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

desmund is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Thanks for the advice, Henley Beach did look good to me as well, pretty central and not to far from the city for work.

Thanks again,

Steve.

steve

also looking to go to adelaide have you tried looking in http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=res
its the local advertisers real estate link shows you whats for sale and rent in aus

arlene
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:50 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I did exactly the same. I was also looking at Victor Harbor and Goolwa for a while and it did look beautiful. We're pretty settled on Glenelg or anywhere between Brighton and Henley Beach but then there's the flightpath up there. So it'll probably be between Brighton and Glenelg.
Yeah. I visited Glenelg to see what was there and waved to the pilot of a Virgin blue plane. It's not a big airport, but Glenelg does seem to be directly under the final approach.

On the subject of planes, I've yet to see a jet contrail down here in Goolwa. On a clear day, the sky is blue, not blue with white stripes!.

Richard - no I don't work.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

We used to live in Windsor so had to put up with flights every 30 seconds and some days it felt like you could reach out and touch them. Maybe that's why I think Adelaide airport is so quiet.

There is a lot to be said for peace and quiet and country living in general.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,

We stayed at the west beach holiday park when we first arrived. It's right at the end of the runway......next to the sewage works. But the cabin we staeyed in was lovely for 10 days and the park had great facilities and right on the beach...pity it was winter.

The noise wasn't too bad, but there are lots of low planes.

You've chosen a really expensive spot with your choices. Why not consider further up towards sempaphore, largs bay and towards north haven. Lovely beaches.

Cheers
Mash...

Thanks again,

Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.