WHY?

Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:07 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHY?

Originally Posted by mohogony
Why do some people with great well paid jobs , a great house in a nice area and plenty of friends and family want to immigrate to OZ? are most of these people doomed to return to the UK becasue OZ can't make up for what they have left behind.
We did just that. We lived in a beautiful village just outside York, kids went to a great school, OH had a damn fine job. He was so good at it (lol) that he was offered a job out here, which he took. Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

Other Half is now on approximately double that of his wages in the UK (depending on exchange rate), we have a beautiful house on about 1/3 acre in the fantabulous Blue Mountains and have just as wonderful a life as we did in the UK.

Why on earth would we want to return back to the UK?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why do some people with great well paid jobs , a great house in a nice area and plenty of friends and family want to immigrate to OZ? are most of these people doomed to return to the UK becasue OZ can't make up for what they have left behind.
I had all of the above (apart from family) in the UK and still emigrated. I have it even better here.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

We did it too, were very comfortable, good friends, great family. Just wanted adventure though, my wife and I were both born, brought up, and worked and lived in the same town for nigh on 40 years.

That was 2 years ago, next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevenglish
... next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last
You need to get that coach driver a better map mate. I'm sure he should have turned left at Albuquerque.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stevenglish
We did it too, were very comfortable, good friends, great family. Just wanted adventure though, my wife and I were both born, brought up, and worked and lived in the same town for nigh on 40 years.

That was 2 years ago, next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last
Are you a third world aid worker or something?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's globe-trotting 75 year old Aunt is staying with us at the moment (just back from some hiking in the high country in NZ) and the subject of why some people get on okay and some hate it came up. She said that some people were just always looking for something better and it didn't really matter where they ended up, they'd soon be looking for the next 'better'.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:48 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
The grass is greener and the tv tells us Australia is paradise.
Because it is !
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BAY
Because it is !
There is no way that grass is greener in Australia than the UK. It's brown for half the year.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

We are not doomed to return - although I don't think we are! We did it because we could. I gave up my own house, car, career to follow my new husband here as he got a job offer and I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

We are both very outgoing and so haven't found it difficult to make friends. Our true friends from the UK come and visit and as for family we pay for them to come - which for them is a double as they get to see us and have a great holiday too. A win/win situation.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
There is no way that grass is greener in Australia than the UK. It's brown for half the year.
Not sure the Tasmanians would agree with you .... in fact, many Queenslanders won't agree with that either.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

[QUOTE=Petals;8187421]For their children, even though they have a really good life they feel their children may not in the future.

QUOTE]

Spot on. That's why we did it. Everyone has a different story though.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Probably.

However, fewer people than you might think have a life with all of those attributes . . .

There seem to be a fair few on my London Board. I'd say a large proportion of the well heeled Surryites and other Home Counties migrants, that are something in the City need not apply.

In fact it was via My London board and meeting someone off of it who had migrated here with his Aussie Wife, circa 6-7 years back that woke me up to the fact that a fair proportion of people from the UK who liked Aus... still preferred life back in the UK and according to him the far wider diversity and choice. It actually took me aback at the time and was pre my days on this board. Most of them are well established and have plenty of choice and spending power.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure the Tasmanians would agree with you .... in fact, many Queenslanders won't agree with that either.
Tassie I will give you... but how can you tell what colour it is in QLD when its underwater?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 4:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Tassie I will give you... but how can you tell what colour it is in QLD when its underwater?
Not had a flood here since, well at least since I arrived in 2002...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.