Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

Wikiposts

Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Thanx for the advice,we are just considering our options but we were leaning more towards selling up anyway.
I guess what makes me nervous is if for whatever reason,after a few years,we decide to come back to the uk,will we beable to get back in the housing market without squatting ourselves,i don't know enough about the world of finance etc. to make a educated decision,which is why these threads are so great!..
lynn

the only thing i can say Lynn is this....every one of us on the site are a breed apart,we are not happy with our job lot and we have the balls to do something about it...the day we filled out those form's we started taking risk's knowning its hard work...stop thinking about coming back in two years
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Wink Re: Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

Originally Posted by Steve2438
the only thing i can say Lynn is this....every one of us on the site are a breed apart,we are not happy with our job lot and we have the balls to do something about it...the day we filled out those form's we started taking risk's knowning its hard work...stop thinking about coming back in two years

Your right I know,I'm have a feeling that my hubby,Garry and me will probably love and not want to come back,the thing that we are a bit unsure of,is my son(i have 2 girls too,but they are ok about it all ).
My son is 13 and is honestly a lovely lad,he,so far despite the hormones,hasn't drove us too mad yet but really doesn't want to go to oz.
We are not the type that will let our kids steer our decisions completely but we try to take on board what they feel.
We have the added problem that he burns easily being a redhead and hates the heat!!!!
So, we are going for it anyway,cos in 3 yrs,i will lose points through age anyway,then lose the chance after that, but if he doesn't settle of if he frazzles,we may have to re-consider our future,but i hope it doesn't come to that....
then again i've just been on a thread about 'migration guide to oz'... have you seen the pic of the huntsman on the loo roll!!!!!!!ARG!!!! I think I might stay right here!!!!
Lynn
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Your right I know,I'm have a feeling that my hubby,Garry and me will probably love and not want to come back,the thing that we are a bit unsure of,is my son(i have 2 girls too,but they are ok about it all ).
My son is 13 and is honestly a lovely lad,he,so far despite the hormones,hasn't drove us too mad yet but really doesn't want to go to oz.
We are not the type that will let our kids steer our decisions completely but we try to take on board what they feel.
We have the added problem that he burns easily being a redhead and hates the heat!!!!
So, we are going for it anyway,cos in 3 yrs,i will lose points through age anyway,then lose the chance after that, but if he doesn't settle of if he frazzles,we may have to re-consider our future,but i hope it doesn't come to that....
then again i've just been on a thread about 'migration guide to oz'... have you seen the pic of the huntsman on the loo roll!!!!!!!ARG!!!! I think I might stay right here!!!!
Lynn
Go for it Lynn...I have two boys aged 7 and 9 the 9 year old wasnt to sure,
but ive been showing the internet to him more, setup an email address for him so he can mail his mates,told him about web cams,Arsenal football club(i know sad) on the net,told him they can come out and visit....any thing i can to make him feel part of the move,now he's ok with the move...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joho
We have sold our house but are buying our buyers house. They were deperate for our house but couldn't sell theirs. Plenty of viewers and interested parties but they hadn't sold theirs either, vicious circle at the moment. Anyway as we too were finding it difficult to sell, and after much deliberation, we decided to buy theirs. Its a very nice house (3 bed detached) in a very nice area, just round the corner really. It is 54k cheaper than ours, so it has released enough capital for us to go and pay for everything and is very rentable. I really dont think we would get another offer as good as theirs, so this is what we are doing. It is due to go through on the 15th April. We have go a proper buy to let mortgage and are doing everything above board. We will employ a letting agent as it would be impossible to self manage.

Cheers Jo
If you are a resident for tax purposes in Australia and have an investment property in the UK then you can claim a tax deduction for any losses against your taxable income here in Australia . ie if your expenses exceed your rental income then this is a taxable loss. Its called negative gearing. Best not to inform the Australian tax office of any of your financial business other than in Australia, they will only want a cut, if you don't tell them then they will not know.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 2:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask, what type of investments would you consider worth looking at if it wasn't in property?
Lynn
Luckily we have an accountant sorting out a lot of this (expensive really, but worth every penny), some of the things we have done/looked at are:

Using our maximum ISA allowances for this year & next year,
putting more into our pensions,
offshore investments in the Channel Islands or similar places,
buying derelict property in France & sitting on it (a friend of mine is doing this & is making a killing),
buying farm land & selling it on to Gypsies (only joking!), but seriously farm land is going up in value & might be worth considering,
on some accounts in the UK, you don't pay tax on interest if you are non-resident in the UK (I think).

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

mandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the roughmandrew is a jewel in the rough

DONT EVER DO IT. Rented the house out with agency.she paid rent 1st month then not at all. Shes on 6 mnth lease and i cant do didly squat to get her out till lease ends. Meanwhile im paying my mortgage with no rental income,someone living in my house rent free and the windows have just been smashed along with the fence. She also has a dog now and house parties with all the local druggies trashing my house. Dont believe me then think again. This aint NO JOKE. SELL SELL SELL.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Red face Re: Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

Originally Posted by mandrew
DONT EVER DO IT. Rented the house out with agency.she paid rent 1st month then not at all. Shes on 6 mnth lease and i cant do didly squat to get her out till lease ends. Meanwhile im paying my mortgage with no rental income,someone living in my house rent free and the windows have just been smashed along with the fence. She also has a dog now and house parties with all the local druggies trashing my house. Dont believe me then think again. This aint NO JOKE. SELL SELL SELL.

that is horrific,when will you beable to get her out?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CreditCardKing
If you are a resident for tax purposes in Australia and have an investment property in the UK then you can claim a tax deduction for any losses against your taxable income here in Australia . ie if your expenses exceed your rental income then this is a taxable loss. Its called negative gearing. Best not to inform the Australian tax office of any of your financial business other than in Australia, they will only want a cut, if you don't tell them then they will not know.
And when eventually you bring the capital to Oz? You go down this road and you will be stoking up all sorts of heartburn for the future as well as making the rest of us pay a little more tax (if that's possible in Oz!)
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
And when eventually you bring the capital to Oz? You go down this road and you will be stoking up all sorts of heartburn for the future as well as making the rest of us pay a little more tax (if that's possible in Oz!)

Could you enlarge on this and give us any tips?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mandrew

A friend of mine rented her flat out with no problems, the Agent guaranteed her rent so if there was no tenant or the tenant didn't pay then the agent had to pay. Every week she got her money, seems like a good arrangement to have. One of the tenants signed a lease for 12 months but moved out after only 1 month and it stood empty for a couple of months but the agent still paid the rent to her.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Who's Rented Their House Out Instead Of Selling-up To Re-locate?

A friend of mine rented her flat out with no problems, the Agent guaranteed her rent so if there was no tenant or the tenant didn't pay then the agent had to pay. Every week she got her money, seems like a good arrangement to have. One of the tenants signed a lease for 12 months but moved out after only 1 month and it stood empty for a couple of months but the agent still paid the rent to her.

Sounds like a great arrangment,but it's not common for someone to have a good experience like that is it?
All agents should practice like that,it forces them to be more concientious,what's the name of those agents,although we are veering towards selling....
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

I was talking to someone recently from the local landlord's group, they do their own letting and they offered some advice, which I thought was quite good. I'm not great at the terminology, but when they rented out their properties, they got the tenants to sign a form from their lawyer, which could be signed by the owners at any time which would terminate the lease, therefore, if ever there was a problem, they wouldn't be stuck in the situation of having someone there rent free. They said that this worked well, and gave the owners a lot of peace of mind.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a great arrangment,but it's not common for someone to have a good experience like that is it?
All agents should practice like that,it forces them to be more concientious,what's the name of those agents,although we are veering towards selling....
I don't know if this is a Scottish thing; but from the people I know who rent out, there have been no major problems. Worst case has been non payment of rent for 2 months, parent was legally made to pay as he had signed an assurance for the rent!

Usual wear and tear. Properties are insured for any major damage and if it’s been your home everything will be in good running order before you let it, so no major repairs bills to fork out for.

We're glad we did it, looks like we are in the minority.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Dazlin will become famous soon enough

We also want to rent the house so i will keep an eye on this thread.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:36 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

No you can't ... rental losses sustained on property located outside Australia CANNOT be claimed as a deduction against Australian source income ...

Best regards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.