Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's off to Melbourne in the next few months

Who's off to Melbourne in the next few months

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Who's off to Melbourne in the next few months

With a bit of luck me, hubby and daughter (aged 4) are off to Melbourne either Aug/Spet/Oct time (depending on the house selling), not sure where we are going to head for but at the moment we are fancying settling on the coast but still with easy reach of the city (perhaps somewhere on the Bayside).

J.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

I will be arriving in Melbourne in late August, or possibly early September. I'll be staying in East Brighton.

It looks like quite a few of us will be arriving this summer.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chud
Hi Carolyn,

Just wondering why your visiting Hull (To say goodbye to rellies???)

We'll be leaving hull on the 10th May Heading for Melbourne. Hopefully geelong but depends on if we have jobs before we go (got a few irons in the fire!)

Cheers
Rich
Hi - lived there for about 10 years - love the place & friends, couldn't leave without revisiting the marina, bridge, mill, beverley, pubs, etc. and mates are fantastic cooks as well..

We'll be there either 1-3 or 8 - 10 April and plans are pretty flexible though because we'll be visiting we'll have the kids with us (they're fairly user friendly) - let us know if you want to catch up.

Carolyn
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:18 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sooz&abby
Hopefully us too!!!

We are still awaiting my canadian police check - expect it back hopefully before May and then expect the visa june/july time. So hope to be out for August at the latest.....fingers crossed.

Its just me (27) and my husband (30) going out. We will prob rent for the first 6 months then buy. We like Hampton area and all the way down the coast. Patterson Lakes seemed really nice but a bit too far out for us as no doubt we will end up working in the CBD.

From research on the internet Point Cook looks fab....get a lot more property for your money there... but im just not sure what kind of area it is??..it seems to good to be true.

Good Luck finding somewhere...i think its the hardest part ;-)
Hope to meet up with you guys if we ever get there!!

poor wee abby
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully arrange a meet when everyone arrives.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Best of luck to everyone and hopefully arrange a meet when everyone arrives.
Hi BW, we hope to be arriving around November time (me, husband, and baby (who will be 20 months old by then). We don't know where we are going to live yet but it will prob be SE suburbs - like 3Ps said, not too far from city and close to the bay (that or countryside). Depends on costs and commuting times! Will be good to meet some others with young children. See you then!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:06 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Just signed onto site and I have been reading the messages. Like most people who have posted replies we are off to Melbourne too - my husband got his job offer last week and now completing the 457 - guess we will then have to have xrays etc. We have a boy who is a bit of a grunge with the usual social skills of a 17 years old :scared: Would love to meet up with people when we arrive as we do not know anyone in Melbourne. We reckon on arriving during late June (need to give notice here etc etc). We have accommodation for the first month but would then be looking at renting as I understand we are not allowed to buy in the first year? Any ideas where is good? We do want to be within easy communiting distance of the City
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Just signed onto site and I have been reading the messages. Like most people who have posted replies we are off to Melbourne too - my husband got his job offer last week and now completing the 457 - guess we will then have to have xrays etc. We have a boy who is a bit of a grunge with the usual social skills of a 17 years old :scared: Would love to meet up with people when we arrive as we do not know anyone in Melbourne. We reckon on arriving during late June (need to give notice here etc etc). We have accommodation for the first month but would then be looking at renting as I understand we are not allowed to buy in the first year? Any ideas where is good? We do want to be within easy communiting distance of the City
Well, there are plenty of threads recommending Melbourne suburbs. Sounds like you can be quite central, so maybe a start point is to dig out a map of the tram routes to help localise you. A lot of people seem to prefer the suburbs in the SE if budget allows (I have no expertise on 'burbs west and north so cannot comment), so end up talk about Brighton, St Kilda, Richmond amongst many others. If they are too expensive then work your way further out.

www.realestate.com.au will help indicate rent in those, or any other, areas.

And yes, maybe a mini-meet would be a good idea. The respnders to this thread are pretty diverse geographically - with some Norwegian and American responses included! We're in South Croydon - so not so far from you.

Neil
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

HiddenPaw

Our girl will be 19 months in November so good ages. Hope to meet you then.

BW's missus.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Well, there are plenty of threads recommending Melbourne suburbs. Sounds like you can be quite central, so maybe a start point is to dig out a map of the tram routes to help localise you. A lot of people seem to prefer the suburbs in the SE if budget allows (I have no expertise on 'burbs west and north so cannot comment), so end up talk about Brighton, St Kilda, Richmond amongst many others. If they are too expensive then work your way further out.

www.realestate.com.au will help indicate rent in those, or any other, areas.

And yes, maybe a mini-meet would be a good idea. The respnders to this thread are pretty diverse geographically - with some Norwegian and American responses included! We're in South Croydon - so not so far from you.

Neil
We are not far from you at all - in fact about 6 miles - Farnborough in Kent - we have been looking on the web at Brighton etc but almost impossible to get any idea about the feel of the place. Have you been before? I have never even stepped foot in the Country so expecting a whole new experience. Friends have been and told me it is a cross between Bermuda and South Africa - both countries I love so hey ho here we go!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:42 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

We are not far from you at all - in fact about 6 miles - Farnborough in Kent - we have been looking on the web at Brighton etc but almost impossible to get any idea about the feel of the place. Have you been before? I have never even stepped foot in the Country so expecting a whole new experience. Friends have been and told me it is a cross between Bermuda and South Africa - both countries I love so hey ho here we go!!!
Brightons nice but its pretty expensive. Brighton & Toorak will probably be the two most expensive suburbs in Melbourne I'd reckon.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Brightons nice but its pretty expensive. Brighton & Toorak will probably be the two most expensive suburbs in Melbourne I'd reckon.
My husband would say that would be typical of me - always going for the most expensive - says i have a champagne taste with a cava budget! Oh well start looking again - only chose Brighton as originally from their in the UK!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We're looking at Brighton/Black Rock too. Chris's brothers have been in Melbourne for about 20 years, are living in Ringwood and Box Hill and say Brighton's lovely (and expensive) There was also talk about it being snobby but they weren't sure.

We're not going all that way to have to drive through the city to get to the coast though so we'll definitely be looking at those areas.

Any comments on the beaches though? Every time I check out comments I hear that all the Melbourne beaches are dirty and not too nice but I'm still optimistic.

Hoping to get a map of Greater Melbourne to get a better idea - anywhere in UK we can buy one?

Carolyn
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi Vanessa

Well I have a very limtied amount of time in St Kilda, Richmond and have drifted through Prahan and Toorak in my car but never got out. Obvioulsy my ability to comment is limited on that basis and there will be many better able to give an authoritive view which may well contradict mine for good reason.

The central SE suburbs seem to be where the most affluent city dwellers live. St Kilda is famed for not only having a beach but also having a good cafe/eating out scene (I heard rumours that one part is a red light district, but mercifully I cannot verify that). Richmond has lots of boutique shops as well as cafes and eateries, good train and tram links into the city centre.

We're going to move considerably further out, hence my very limited ability to comment.

As for meeting up, are you aware of the 'Sussex meet' pencilled in for either 2 April or 9 April? Maybe you could make this? Link follows:

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=284669

Also, be aware of another discussion forum - less busy - but oft frequented by people already out there in Victoria. Chaps like Bordy are really knowledgeable, helpful and informative.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

Neil
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip
We're looking at Brighton/Black Rock too. Chris's brothers have been in Melbourne for about 20 years, are living in Ringwood and Box Hill and say Brighton's lovely (and expensive) There was also talk about it being snobby but they weren't sure.

We're not going all that way to have to drive through the city to get to the coast though so we'll definitely be looking at those areas.

Any comments on the beaches though? Every time I check out comments I hear that all the Melbourne beaches are dirty and not too nice but I'm still optimistic.

Hoping to get a map of Greater Melbourne to get a better idea - anywhere in UK we can buy one?

Carolyn

Carolyn

I'm already armed with the full UBD steetmap of Melbourne, but have a fold out-but less detailed map of Melbourne going spare. If you want mine, have, gratis. PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post - I was about to put it on eBay anyhow and would only have got a pitance if anyhting at all.

Neil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.