Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Originally Posted by james1972
Well, we are now just over 5 weeks here:
Settled in a place called Ormiston just outside Cleveland. Took a bit of searching to get the house to rent but we have now got it, Our stuff was delivered last Monday (We shipped before we left) Left us in the UK on the 25/5.

Not looking great for internet even after checking before we signed the rental, make sure you are not on a RIM! it's a mare trying to get a decent connection so we are currently on a USB dongle. Getting a phone installed shortly and will try again for broadband.

We have bought a car, a tent for our trip in a couple of weeks to Stradbroke plus a few other things.

We love it here and really enjoying it and looking forward to getting some time doing tourist things rather than running around sorting out things!

I am working as well! happened quite quickly after getting here and although the journey on the train is not great (about 1 hour each way) I have joined a good bunch and have been welcomed in. I have started at Virgin Blue so go from one end of the train line to the other at Bowen Hills. Also bought a scooter to get to and from the station.

Tips: Good car rental rental from East Coast Rentals for a month, good base and cheap for a month at Gateway Village Resort and get Pizza on a Tuesday.

It's all good.

James (Faye, Max and Skye)
PS It is pouring here! First time but at least our plants and veg will get watered
That's great news mate! Wow, it took you 5 weeks! Is this the norm or you guys had specific requests and thus couldn't find something you were after? We will be looking at a little house/unit in a complex preferably. I only booked a motel for 2 weeks....hopefully I'll manage

Car, tents, trip to Stradbroke...awesome!!! I can't wait to start our new adventures too!!

So you found work too! That's great mate I see you are in IT (ACS like me). So hows the market? Any good??!!

Damn...1hr is a lot! I'm a long time and will surely commute by bike (not in the beginning!) Hopefully I'll cut the trip down to 45mins....Maybe I can give you a lift one day to work

Did your kids settle at school? We are currently looking at Star of the Sea in Cleveland....

Take care mate and glad all is good

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by B1K3R
That's great news mate! Wow, it took you 5 weeks! Is this the norm or you guys had specific requests and thus couldn't find something you were after? We will be looking at a little house/unit in a complex preferably. I only booked a motel for 2 weeks....hopefully I'll manage

Car, tents, trip to Stradbroke...awesome!!! I can't wait to start our new adventures too!!

So you found work too! That's great mate I see you are in IT (ACS like me). So hows the market? Any good??!!

Damn...1hr is a lot! I'm a long time and will surely commute by bike (not in the beginning!) Hopefully I'll cut the trip down to 45mins....Maybe I can give you a lift one day to work

Did your kids settle at school? We are currently looking at Star of the Sea in Cleveland....

Take care mate and glad all is good

Cheers
B!K3R
Actual rental took about 3 weeks to "find", dont think I was looking for anything out of the ordinary but many rentals just didnt tick all the boxes. The one we got still never ticked all the boxes but we felt right about the house.

Jobs - Not sure on your field but I have been quite lucky and got / had 3 interviews fairly quickly and got all 3 I'm in Project Management. Market does not seem bad from what I have seen but then my searches are all "IT Project". My job is not perm but fixed term for 6 months.

My kids are 4 and 2 so not actually at school yet but have signed up for Ormiston state school in January and jut signed him up for a child care place so he has a chance to play with some kids his own age.

Would love a lift I just bought a 50cc scooter to get me to the station and back. beep beep. Guess thats not the bike you are thinking of

Looking forward to Stradbroke as will be a real break from all the "settling". Got our 4x4 permit for the beach there today
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Jobs - Not sure on your field but I have been quite lucky and got / had 3 interviews fairly quickly and got all 3 I'm in Project Management. Market does not seem bad from what I have seen but then my searches are all "IT Project". My job is not perm but fixed term for 6 months.

My kids are 4 and 2 so not actually at school yet but have signed up for Ormiston state school in January and jut signed him up for a child care place so he has a chance to play with some kids his own age.

Would love a lift I just bought a 50cc scooter to get me to the station and back. beep beep. Guess thats not the bike you are thinking of
That's great mate. I'm a Senior Software Developer (C#, SQL etc), hopefully will have the same experience

My little princess is 4 years old too We're trying to find a place in Star of the Sea in Cleveland for January too, but I am looking at other schools just in case there is no place.

Scooters are awesome mate for short commutes! Low maintenace, easy to park and handle. Is it 4 or 2 stroke? (I would prefer 4). How much would a decent scooter cost? Aaanndd noo! I am thinking about a comfortable 600cc commuter I have a Honda Hornet 600 here, find it great to commute.

So you drive motorcycle/scooter!!?? Not considering getting a bigger one and commute to work? The train would kill me! Yeah, I know there is the danger factor, but I have been driving for 20 years now (in Melbourne too). They drive like ANIMALS in my country so in Brissy will be a sweet drive for me, hehe.

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we are now just over 5 weeks here:
Settled in a place called Ormiston just outside Cleveland. Took a bit of searching to get the house to rent but we have now got it, Our stuff was delivered last Monday (We shipped before we left) Left us in the UK on the 25/5.
Hey you So glad to hear things have been going well! Excellent news about the job too Know what you mean about the sorting - it does start to get you down! We have managed to fit in some touristy things but not enough - even I am sick to death of shopping .... and that takes some doing Fancy a meet up soon? Definitely time to put a face to the name !! Will pm you !
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a Senior Software Developer (C#, SQL etc), hopefully will have the same experience

B!K3R
My OH found there seemed to be quite a few roles available for developers. He found work very quickly too and had a couple of offers. Not quite the same as your area though - mainly Java. Hope all goes well with your plans
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myrtle1
My OH found there seemed to be quite a few roles available for developers. He found work very quickly too and had a couple of offers. Not quite the same as your area though - mainly Java. Hope all goes well with your plans
Hi myrtle1,

That's great Thanks!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:17 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

James - I'm officially jealous now! - I've been applying for jobs for nearly a year now with increasing intensity (including 2 positions at VB - one of which was taken by a friend and ex-colleague with an almost identical CV to mine). I'm hoping to find something I'm happy with before xmas [this year if possible - but xmas next year would do I guess ].

5 weeks for a job search is VERY quick. Having said that I am a fussy browser when it comes to jobs. Over the years my job searches have tended to last 3-6months - so anyone new in town would be advised to not rely on finding work so quickly. There are jobs out there - but finding one where they pay a livable wage or are sufficiently interesting to justify a life of poverty can be a struggle.

As far as riding goes - I commute by bike (Kwaka ZX6r) and love it. My current commute is only 12 minutes (13 if I geta bad run of the lights/11 if I get dream run ).

If you want to check out the price of bikes and scooters then www.bikesales.com.au is the best place to check. Bear in mind you will need an appropriate licence for anything more than a 50cc hairdrier and I'm not sure what the UK->Qld transfer process is like (check qld transport website)
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DadAgain
James - I'm officially jealous now! - I've been applying for jobs for nearly a year now with increasing intensity (including 2 positions at VB - one of which was taken by a friend and ex-colleague with an almost identical CV to mine). I'm hoping to find something I'm happy with before xmas [this year if possible - but xmas next year would do I guess ].

5 weeks for a job search is VERY quick. Having said that I am a fussy browser when it comes to jobs. Over the years my job searches have tended to last 3-6months - so anyone new in town would be advised to not rely on finding work so quickly. There are jobs out there - but finding one where they pay a livable wage or are sufficiently interesting to justify a life of poverty can be a struggle.

As far as riding goes - I commute by bike (Kwaka ZX6r) and love it. My current commute is only 12 minutes (13 if I geta bad run of the lights/11 if I get dream run ).

If you want to check out the price of bikes and scooters then www.bikesales.com.au is the best place to check. Bear in mind you will need an appropriate licence for anything more than a 50cc hairdrier and I'm not sure what the UK->Qld transfer process is like (check qld transport website)
Did think of you when the VB one came through but didnt want to rub it in.

Yeah, I was not too fussy about getting a role but was lucky with VB as have been keeping an eye on the website for quite a while (as you know) and the PM role came up day before I was leaving UK to Singapore. When I got here I changed my phone number and got the call. Arrived Monday in Brisbane, Interview Friday and job offer just over a week later. I went for a perm role but was offered a fixed term. Was offered longer terms at other job but wanted VB more.

I was very lucky and after speaking to a few guys here they also called me a lucky so and so for being in the right place at the right time. I'ts not the norm to get a job so quick but keep an eye out, send a good cover letter and make sure your CV is easy to read.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

That's great mate. I'm a Senior Software Developer (C#, SQL etc), hopefully will have the same experience

My little princess is 4 years old too We're trying to find a place in Star of the Sea in Cleveland for January too, but I am looking at other schools just in case there is no place.

Scooters are awesome mate for short commutes! Low maintenace, easy to park and handle. Is it 4 or 2 stroke? (I would prefer 4). How much would a decent scooter cost? Aaanndd noo! I am thinking about a comfortable 600cc commuter I have a Honda Hornet 600 here, find it great to commute.

So you drive motorcycle/scooter!!?? Not considering getting a bigger one and commute to work? The train would kill me! Yeah, I know there is the danger factor, but I have been driving for 20 years now (in Melbourne too). They drive like ANIMALS in my country so in Brissy will be a sweet drive for me, hehe.

Cheers
B!K3R
Seems to places in all the schools we checked out. Great age as they will start with all the new starters and I imagine with have a bit of an Aussie accent by then so wont be out of place. My boy is sounding more like a common Londoner since he has spent time with me

Scooter is a little 50cc that you can ride on a car license. Something bigger yes please but my wife says I'm not sensible enough. Not that I have met a sensible biker My dad rides bikes and said to get something a bit bigger as the wheels are too small on a scooter. Time will tell.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I've been applying for jobs for nearly a year now with increasing intensity....

Bear in mind you will need an appropriate licence for anything more than a 50cc hairdrier and I'm not sure what the UK->Qld transfer process is like (check qld transport website)
Well, it can't take this long for me, will be living on savings and have to support family. I wont be fussy at the beginning, well they say "beggars cannot be choosers"

As for bike licence, I had done the bike license test 10 years a go when I was working in Melboune. I had renewed lately so its all good

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Aug 12th 2010 at 6:36 am.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alfresco
... but still booked for September.
Hey you .... not had time to get on here so much recently - but gotta be soon for you? Couple of days? So exciting - hope all's going well
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by myrtle1
Hey you .... not had time to get on here so much recently - but gotta be soon for you? Couple of days? So exciting - hope all's going well
Three sleeps left. We're current'y squatting in our empty house. Moving to some friends for tomorrow and Wed as the cleaners are coming tomorrow at 8am, so we gotta be outa here.

Today will be quite busy finishing the last few DIY niggles, packing suitcases reasonably well and getting rid of all the last food, spices etc...

Sun is shining today for change, but 10 degrees this morning. so the Autumn chill has defo started.

Good time to leave.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:54 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Last day of winter today too...Qld's warming up nicely
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Last day of winter today too...Qld's warming up nicely
Indeed!

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/weather
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Three sleeps left. We're current'y squatting in our empty house. Moving to some friends for tomorrow and Wed as the cleaners are coming tomorrow at 8am, so we gotta be outa here.

Today will be quite busy finishing the last few DIY niggles, packing suitcases reasonably well and getting rid of all the last food, spices etc...

Sun is shining today for change, but 10 degrees this morning. so the Autumn chill has defo started.

Good time to leave.
Full steam ahead for you then! Have fun - catch you on the sunny side?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.