Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who are you supposed to inform

Who are you supposed to inform

Old May 13th 2003, 4:05 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who are you supposed to inform

Who are you supposed to inform, so far as the relevant authorities?, Do I have to tell the Inland revenue or will Oz house tell them? do I have to tell Every official UK gov body? is there a general form which could be used? What about the Dss who tells them, they will need to know because of NI contributions, or do they just find out in due course, thinking about state pensions here I don't want a bill in a few years saying "you did,nt tell us"
Any one who has made the move please tell us how you managed this part of the process, Thanks.
Old May 13th 2003, 6:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who are you supposed to inform

Originally posted by paulf
Who are you supposed to inform, so far as the relevant authorities?, Do I have to tell the Inland revenue or will Oz house tell them? do I have to tell Every official UK gov body? is there a general form which could be used? What about the Dss who tells them, they will need to know because of NI contributions, or do they just find out in due course, thinking about state pensions here I don't want a bill in a few years saying "you did,nt tell us"
Any one who has made the move please tell us how you managed this part of the process, Thanks.
You don't really NEED to do anything, you won't suffer a financial penalty - and conversely nobody will do anything on your behalf to let anybody know. It might make sense to tell the following (yourself) and give new contact details: bank, DSS, IR, GP, Post Office (new address for forwarded mail - service), etc. If you stop paying NI contributions you just get a reduced UK pension entitlement, not a bill unless you already owe them.

Cheers - Don
Old May 13th 2003, 6:07 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

However......somthing that really is worth doing is telling your tax office that you do not intend to return (in this financial year at least).

You will most probably be due a pretty large tax rebate if you ask for it.

Say you only worked for 6 months of the financial year (from april). The IR will have been taxing you assuming that you would be around for the full 12 months. Tax is basically worked out from your final expected salary, and divided by 12.

Work less than 12 months by much and they may owe u money.
Old May 13th 2003, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

What money back from the tax office. Phew can`t wait they have certainly had the lions share recently.

footie chick
Old May 13th 2003, 7:12 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Tax man is a must then, what about DSS? do I need to sign anything with them? I thought they would know via NI numbers.
You would think there is a general notice to quit the country form
Old May 13th 2003, 7:16 pm
Don
Banned

You sound as if you think we are living in Orwell's imagined world.

Cheers - Don
Old May 13th 2003, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
However......somthing that really is worth doing is telling your tax office that you do not intend to return (in this financial year at least).

You will most probably be due a pretty large tax rebate if you ask for it.

Say you only worked for 6 months of the financial year (from april). The IR will have been taxing you assuming that you would be around for the full 12 months. Tax is basically worked out from your final expected salary, and divided by 12.

Work less than 12 months by much and they may owe u money.
I got a tax rebate when I left for Florida 8 years ago. I left in August so I had only worked about 4 months of that financial year. I got family back home to send a me a form, filled it out stating that I was "travelling" and got a tax rebate of 500 quid! I was chuffed to bits!

On the down side, hubby went back to the UK about 4 years ago (long story) for about 4 months and couldn't claim a single penny of benefits despite having paid into social security for donkeys years before he left.....they just said "tough".

Charming eh?
Old May 13th 2003, 9:15 pm
?????????

You sound as if you think we are living in Orwell's imagined world.
Go on then Don enlighten me?
Old May 13th 2003, 9:20 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Don is talking about the novel '1984' by George Orwell, where big brother is watching at all times.
Old May 13th 2003, 9:31 pm
?????????

Well we are, are,nt we?.
If you travel from Oz, the gov know and inform the dss over there and the tax office, it's all inter-linked from a simple scan of your passport as you check in at the airport.
Seems sensible too.
Old May 14th 2003, 3:27 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
I think Don is talking about the novel '1984' by George Orwell, where big brother is watching at all times.
I don't think UK is so organised yet, eg there's no immigration passport check when you leave the UK. You could theoretically be anywhere in the world within 24 hours and the UK govt won't be any the wiser. Not that they couldn't trace you if they wanted to, they just can't see the point.

Makes for a couple of intriguing possibilities, say, 90 days in Thailand, 6 months NZ, 3 months Aus, repeated a few times. Where are you liable to tax if you don't have a regular job?

Cheers - Don
Old May 14th 2003, 4:19 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Good question Don ... tax nomads as we beancounters are wont to call such people.

AC

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I don't think UK is so organised yet, eg there's no immigration passport check when you leave the UK. You could theoretically be anywhere in the world within 24 hours and the UK govt won't be any the wiser. Not that they couldn't trace you if they wanted to, they just can't see the point.

Makes for a couple of intriguing possibilities, say, 90 days in Thailand, 6 months NZ, 3 months Aus, repeated a few times. Where are you liable to tax if you don't have a regular job?

Cheers - Don
Old May 14th 2003, 8:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I don't think UK is so organised yet, Cheers - Don
Just like when an assylum seeker in the UK has their claim thrown out and they are told to leave the country and don't but are still able to claim benefits for years.