Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who will you support?

Who will you support?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Badger is right in that they do participate in a lot of sports rather than just watch on the couch.

It is infectious and I found myself wearing speedos and a lycra singlet to do a triathlon in April. My wife was highly disturbed at the sight and I couldn't look in the mirror. I have never been fitter in my life

Aussies will say good on ya at anything and is not a sign of respect but an over used phrase.

Badger, have you thought of joining the army with all that running with packs.

Generalising Aussies are crap losers and winners.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:18 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Amazulu
No, but their still tossers, pommie tossers ?.
Oh dear, just looked up the dictionary:
TOSSER

You trying to be nasty? Still smarting from Greg Chappell's underarm bowling (Chappell regrets Feb 1 underarm show ? What about that bloody Pommie body-line bowling eh?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:20 pm

Body line is in the school curriculum. They teach crap losing here.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
You trying to be nasty? Still smarting from Greg Chappell's underarm bowling (Chappell regrets Feb 1 underarm show ? What about that bloody Pommie body-line bowling eh?
Uh, Ok ????
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:24 pm
Badge

QUOTE The exceptions amongst the poms are the bad losers - the yobs, hooligans, the tossers. The exceptions amongst Ozzies are the good sports. QUOTE

succinctly said, Wilf; regardless of whether I disagree/agree. It's true that Aussies hate losing but I never saw any real bad losers as such - just a bit of banter - well a lot of banter.

uccinctly said, Wilf; regardless of whether I disagree/agree. It's true that Aussies hate losing but I never saw any real bad losers as such - just a bit of banter - well a lot of banter.

In some ways, I think that sport IS a test of your personal worth - stamina, moral courage, teamwork, skill, fitness, coordination etc, overcoming physical hardship....when all is said and done I always remember the If poem..

"If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!".....

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it....

badgers

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; Sep 10th 2003 at 10:34 pm.

Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:26 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Wilf
Mega,
What is your honest opinion of the average Ozzie approach to winning and losing at sports? Good winners and losers, good sports, or not?
Dunno really. "Sport" makes my mind wander. Spectator "sport" makes it wonder.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Bodyline was a great tactic, put some aggression into cricket that we are still seeing today. The aussies used it as an excuse 'cause they got beat, I think they were pissed off that they did not come up with it.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:29 pm

English yobs and hooligans fight at any excuse. Losing is just one of those excuses.

You looking at my beer?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally posted by bondipom
English yobs and hooligans fight at any excuse. Losing is just one of those excuses.

You looking at my beer?
did you spill my pint ? (in a biffa bacon accent)